Campbell, Clive Dickens

CAMPBELL, Clive Dickens (1911-1975) was born in Ramsgate, Engl. on 5 February 1911 and moved to British Columbia in 1928. He served with the provincial Department of Public Works in British Columbia from 1929 until his retirement, and was appointed Chief Architect of the department in 1949. In this capacity he and his staff designed and supervised the construction of most provincial government buildings erected between 1949 and 1959. His most notable work is Government House, Rockland Avenue, Victoria, B.C., 1957-59, built to serve as the official residence of the Lieutenant Governor of British Columbia. Campbell died in Spain on 11 January 1975 (D. Luxton, Building the West: The Early Architects of British Columbia, 2003, 457, 495; inf. Architectural Inst. of British Columbia).

NEW ELLAND, B.C., industrial school at Brennan Lake, 1950 (C.R., xliii, March 1950, 130, t.c.)
VANCOUVER, B.C., Provincial School for the Deaf & Blind, 1950 (C.R., lxiii, March 1950, 134, t.c.)
CHILLIWACK, B.C., Provincial Government office building, 1950 (C.R., lxiii, June 1950, 121, t.c.)
VICTORIA, B.C., British Columbia Hospital Insurance Building, Michigan Street, 1950 (C.R., lxiii, June 1950, 129)
ESSONDALE, B.C., Home for the Aged at Provincial Mental Hospital, 1950-51; laundry & storage building, 1951 (C.R., lxiii, Oct. 1950, 154; Dec. 1950, 109)
VICTORIA, B.C., British Columbia Provincial Office Building [now called The Douglas Building], Government Street at Superior Street, 1950-51 (Nanaimo Free Press, 27 Nov. 1950, 1, descrip.)
VANCOUVER, B.C., Tuberculosis Hospital, 1950-51 (C.R., lxiii, Dec. 1950, 109)