Proctor, John G.

Error message

Deprecated function: The each() function is deprecated. This message will be suppressed on further calls in menu_set_active_trail() (line 2405 of /home2/builhil9/public_html/bdac/includes/menu.inc).

PROCTOR, John G. (1854-1925) of Wingham, Ont. was active in that town from 1877 until 1881 and specialised in the design of ecclesiastical works. Born in England in 1854 he came to Canada before 1870 and appears to have served an apprenticeship in London, Ont. where he is listed as an 'architect's student' in 1874 (W.H. Irwin & Co., City of London Directory 1874-75, pub. 1874). By 1877 he had established an office in Wingham and served clients both there and in nearby Listowel, in partnership with a 'Mr, Gall', where he designed an elaborate mansion for the Mayor of that town as well as a substantial commercial block for Roy & McDonald. That same year he was one of thirty-four architects from the United States and Canada who submitted an entry in the competition for the Stratford High School, but his scheme was not premiated (Stratford Beacon, 5 Oct. 1877, 2). In late 1882 he left Canada and moved to North Dakota where he entered a partnership with Charles Daniels, a local architect in Fargo. Their relationship was shortlived, and in late 1885 Proctor had left that state and moved to Tacoma, Washington where he remained for the duration of his professional career. He designed the Pierce County Court House in Tacoma in 1893 and later held the position of State Architect for several years. He died in Puyallup, Washington on 8 February 1925 (obituary in the Tacoma News-Tribune, 9 Feb. 1925, 1 and 9; biography in H. Withey, Biographical Dictionary of American Architects (Deceased), 1956, 492; inf. from Ronald L.M. Ramsay, Fargo, N.D.)

J.G. PROCTOR

BLYTH, ONT., Blyth United Church, 1877 (Centennial Souvenir - Blyth United Church, 1960)
TEESWATER, ONT., Sacred Heart Roman Catholic Church, 1878 (Irish Canadian [Toronto], 9 Oct. 1878, 5, descrip.)
WROXETER, ONT., Public School, 1878 (Mail [Toronto], 8 June 1878, 2, t.c.)

PROCTOR & GALL

LISTOWEL, ONT., commercial block on the Watt property for Roy & McDonald, 1879 (Listowel Banner, 30 April 1879, 8)
LISTOWEL, ONT., mansion for Mayor J.W. Scott, East Ward, 1879 (Listowel Banner, 29 Aug. 1879, 8, descrip.)

J.G. PROCTOR

CLINTON, ONT., Town Hall, Albert Street near Huron Street, 1880 (Clinton New Era, 11 March 1880, 8; Canada, Town Halls in Canada, 1987, 281-2)
CLINTON, ONT., commercial block of three stores for William Coats, 1881 (Clinton New Era, 27 Jan. 181, 1, t.c.)
COLE'S CORNERS, SARNIA TOWNSHIP, Methodist Church, 1881 (Sarnia Observer, 1 April 1881, 4, t.c.)
WINGHAM, ONT., Presbyterian Church, 1881 (Globe [Toronto], 26 May 1881, 7, t.c.)
WINGHAM, ONT., a large three storey brick house for an unnamed client, built in 1881 or 1882 (Carpentry & Building [New York], x, July 1888, 142-43, illus. & descrip.; inf. Stephen A. Otto, Toronto)
FOREST, ONT., Methodist Church, 1882 (Daily Advertiser [London], 10 March 1882, 3)