Whittaker, Henry

WHITTAKER, Henry (1885-1971) was born in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil on 15 May 1885 where his father was a cotton manufacturer. His family moved to England and he articled there with J. Perry at Dudley, Engl., with Haywood & Harrison of Accrington, and with the architectural department of Waring & Gillow in London. In 1905-10 he lived and worked in Port Sudan, Khartoum and at Wad Medani as an architectural assistant to the government of the Sudan. He returned to England in 1911 and emigrated to Canada in early 1913. On 3 May 1913 he was appointed as assistant in the drafting department of the British Columbia Public Works Dept. in Victoria. In April 1919 he was promoted to Acting Supervising Architect and attained the position of Chief Architect for the province in 1919, holding that post for the next thirty years. His early designs for public buildings were modest and conservative variants of the Tudor Revival style with characteristic English half-timber framing, but he later adopted a more progressive Art Deco style by the mid-1930's. One of his department's best works from the period was the Power Commission Building in Victoria (1938-39). Whittaker retired as Chief Architect for the British Columbia Government on 30 June 1949 and was succeeded by Guy S. Ford. He continued to practise privately after that time, in partnership with Donald Wagg, advising on plans for several hospitals in the province. He retired in 1954 and died in Victoria on 18 August 1971 (death notice Daily Colonist [Victoria], 10 Aug. 1971, 26; biog. Daily Colonist [Victoria], 16 July 1949, 3; D. Luxton, Building the West: The Early Architects of British Columbia, 2003, 428-30, 524; inf. Architectural Inst. Of British Columbia). A photographic portrait of Whittaker was published in the Daily Commercial News [Toronto], 15 Dec. 1936, 1.

BUILDINGS FOR THE B.C. DEPT. OF PUBLIC WORKS

ABBOTSFORD, B.C., Matsqui Elementary School, 1913 (D. Franklin, Early School Architecture in British Columbia, 1980, 48, illus.)
(attributed) MERRITT, B.C., Provincial Government Building, 1914 (dwgs. BCPA)
(attributed) NICOLA, B.C., Provincial Government Building, 1914 (dwgs. BCPA)
VANCOUVER, B.C., prototype for War Veteran's housing, Windsor Street, South Vancouver, 1919 (H. Kalman, Exploring Vancouver, 1993, 203, illus.)
OWENS FALLS, B.C., Court House, 1919-20 (Parks Canada, Canadian Inventory of Historic Buildings, Manuscript Report No. 288, 63)
ESSONDALE, B.C., Industrial Home, 1920; Nurse's Home and nine cottages, 1920; Acute Care Patients wing, 1922-23; mental hospital, 1927; Staff Quarters, 1928; Soldier's Infirmary, 1930; Admission Unit, 1946; Clinic for Psychological Medicine, 1949 (C.R., xxxiv, 21 Jan. 1920, 48, t.c.; 16 June 1920, 51; xlii, 11 Jan. 1928, 50; 25 July 1928, 61, t.c.; xliv, 5 Feb. 1930, 55; lix, Feb. 1946, 112; Vancouver Daily World, 28 March 1922, 9, descrip.; 11 June 1923, 30, descrip.; Canadian Hospital [Toronto], xxvii, March 1950, 30-4, illus. & descrip.)
COURTENAY, B.C., public school, 1920 (C.R., xxxiv, 16 June 1920, 51, t.c.)
KAMLOOPS, B.C., model barn, 1921 (C.R., xxxv, 15 June 1921, 62)
PRINCE RUPERT, B.C., Provincial Court House, Market Place facing McBride Street, designed by A. Alfred Cox in 1913, but construction suspended during WWI, and building later completed by Whiittaker in 1921-22 (Vancouver Daily World, 26 Oct. 1920, 17; M. Carter, Early Canadian Court Houses, 1983, 232)
ARMSTRONG, B.C., public school, 1921 (D. Franklin, Early School Architecture in British Columbia, 1980, 31, illus.)
SMITHERS, B.C., Provincial Government Building, 1925 (M. Carter, Early Canadian Court Houses, 1983, 233, illus.)
TRANQUILLE, B.C., major addition to the Sanatorium, 1927; central heating plant, 1931; Nurse's Home, 1948 (C.R., xli, 16 Feb. 1927, 47; xlv, 21 Jan. 1931, 49; lxi, Sept. 1948, 130; Nanaimo Free Press, 8 Jan. 1931, 3, descrip. of the Power House)
VANCOUVER, B.C., Children's Home, for the Children's Aid Society, 1928 (C.R., xlii, 25 Jan. 1928, 65)
CHILLIWACK, B.C., public school, 1928 (C.R., xlii, 4 Jan. 1928, 47)
VANCOUVER, B.C., University of British Columbia, gymnasium, 1929 (C.R., xliii, 10 July 1929, 69)
SALMON ARM, B.C., Provincial Government Building, 1929-30 (M. Carter, Early Canadian Court Houses, 1983, 233, illus.)
VANCOUVER, B.C., Vancouver General Hospital, Tuberculosis Wing, Willow Street, 1935-36; Nurse's Home, Heather Street, 1937-38; major addition, 1947-48 (C.R., l, 15 Jan. 1936, 42; l, 6 Oct. 1937, 32; lx, Sept. 1947, 174)
KIMBERLY, B.C., Junior High School, 1937 (C.R., l, 21 July 1937, 35)
PRICE RUPERT, B.C., major addition to the General Hospital, 1938 (C.R., li, 9 March 1938, 33)
VANCOUVER, B.C., Motor Vehicle License Office & Testing Garage, West Georgia Street at Bidwell Street, 1938 (C.R., li, 13 July 1938, 36; dwgs. Vancouver City Archives)
CRESTON, B.C., public school, 1938 (C.R., li, 27 July 1938, 118)
VICTORIA, B.C., B.C. Power Commission Building, Blanshard Street, 1939-40 (M. Segger & D. Franklin, Exploring Victoria's Architecture, 1996, 78-9, illus.; Tim Morawetz, Art Deco Architecture Across Canada, 2017, 68, illus. & descrip.)
POWELL RIVER, B.C., Provincial Government Building, 1939-39 (inf. Gordon Fulton, Ottawa)
KELOWNA, B.C., major addition to the hospital, 1939 (C.R., lii, 13 Dept. 1939, 28)
VICTORIA, B.C., Mount Mary Roman Catholic Hospital, Burdett Street near Vancouver Street, 1940 (40 (M. Segger & D. Franklin, Exploring Victoria's Architecture, 1996, 198, illus.)
VICTORIA, B.C., major addition of the Richmond Pavilion for the Royal Jubilee Hospital, Richmond Avenue at Fort Street, 1944-46; Maternity Pavilion, 1946 (C.R., lvii, 28 June 1944, 29, t.c.; Canadian Hospital, xxiii, Dec. 1946, 28-30, illus. & descrip.; 40 (M. Segger & D. Franklin, Exploring Victoria's Architecture, 1996, 199, illus.)
NEW WESTMINSTER, B.C., major addition to Royal Columbia Hospital, Columbia Street at Sherbrooke Street, 1944 (C.R., lvii, 23 Aug. 1944, 22)
VICTORIA, B.C., St. Joseph's Roman Catholic Hospital, major addition, Collinson Street, 1946 (C.R., lix, Oct. 1946, 92)
PENTICTON, B.C., Provincial Court House, Main Street at Lakeshore Drive, 1948-49 (Penticton Herald, 24 March 1949, 1 & 12; Tim Morawetz, Art Deco Architecture Across Canada, 2017, 69, illus. & descrip.)
COURTENAY, B.C., Provincial Government Building, 1949 (C.R., lxii, May 1949, 156)
VICTORIA, B.C., The Douglas Building, Government Street at Superior Street, for the Provincial Government, 1949 (C.R., lxii, July 1949, 136; Victoria Heritage Foundation, This Old House - Victoria's Heritage Neighbourhoods - Vol. 2, James Bay, 2018, 130-31, illus. & descrip.)
NELSON, B.C., Kootenay Lake General Hospital, 1950 (C.R., lxiii, Jan. 1959, 144)