Warren, Frederick Wilson

WARREN, Frederick Wilson (1887-1959) was born at Hamilton, Ontario on 8 October 1887 and attended public school and the Hamilton Art School in that city. He was not formally educated in architecture at a university but instead obtained his practical experience with several Hamilton architects, including E. B. Patterson, with whom he was employed, at first as an apprentice, and then as a draftsman, between 1902 until 1908. He worked for Stewart & Witton for three years and with Mills & Hutton for two years before commencing his own practice in Hamilton in 1912. In 1922 he formed a partnership with Reginald E. McDonnell but this was dissolved in early 1929 and Warren then maintained his own office until his retirement in 1951. His residential works drew inspiration from Tudor and Elizabethan sources, and with R.E. McDonnell he planned many of the homes in Roseland Park in neighbouring Burlington, Ont. Their most distinctive and accomplished work was that for W.H. Ballard School (1922-23), a modern interpretation of sixteenth century English Renaissance architecture with impeccable details executed in carved Indiana limestone. It was, at the time of its completion, the largest public school in Canada, accommodating nearly two thousand students.

Warren was a nationally known horticulturist and active in provincial politics, serving with the C.C.F. party in the Ontario Legislature from 1943 until 1945. He died in Hamilton on 12 December 1959 and his practice was taken over by William W. Allen (obituary in the Spectator [Hamilton], 12 Dec. 1959, 7; inf. from Ontario Association of Architects). The Ontario Archives hold a small collection of his drawings and photographs (OA, Acc. 13834). A photographic portrait of Warren was published in the Daily Commercial News [Toronto], 16 Feb. 1936, p. 4.

F.W. WARREN

(works in Hamilton unless noted)

LEINSTER AVENUE, near King Street East, residence for the architect, 1917 (Const., x, May 1917, 178, illus. & descrip.; inf. Robert Hamilton, Hamilton, Ont.)
ALLENBY PUBLIC SCHOOL, Hunter Street West near Locke Street South, 1919-20 (inf. Hamilton Board of Education)
PRESTON, ONT., Braeside Lodge Sanitarium, 1919-20 (Const., xxi, Aug. 1919, 246-47, illus. & descrip.)
ROYAL MARKET BUILDING, James Street North, stores and apartments, 1919-20 (C.R., xxxiii, 29 Oct. 1919, 48, t.c.)
ORANGEVILLE, ONT., Public Hospital, 1920 (C.R., xxxiv, 18 Feb. 1920, 48, t.c.)
PRESTON, ONT., Presbyterian Church, 1920 (dwgs. at OA, Raymond Hall Collection)
PRESTON, ONT., Public School, Duke Street, 1922 (C.R., 3 May 1922, 54, t.c.)
PRINCESS ELIZABETH PUBLIC SCHOOL, Bowman Street at First Avenue, addition of classrooms and auditorium, 1922; addition, 1930 (inf. Hamilton Board of Education)

WARREN & McDONNELL

BURLINGTON, ONT., residence for John William Duggan, South Drive, opposite Hart Avenue, in Roseland Park, c. 1922 (dwgs OA, McDonnell Coll.; inf. Burlington Historical Society; inf. Robert Hamilton, of Hamilton, Ont.)
W.H. BALLARD PUBLIC SCHOOL, Dunsmure Road at Weir Street, 1922-23 (C.R., xxxvi, 15 March 1922, 52; 26 Dec. 1923, 1234-37, illus. & descrip.; Const., xvii, Jan. 1924, 2-9, illus. & descrip.)
ST. JOHN'S PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH, King Street East at Emerald Street North, new Sunday School, 1922-23 (C.R., xxxvi, 29 Nov. 1922, 46)
TORONTO-HAMILTON HIGHWAY, residence for Garfield I. Evans, 1923 (dwgs. at OA, McDonnell Coll.)
WEST HAMILTON SCHOOL, Main Street West near Longwood Road, 1923 (Const., xvii, Jan. 1924, 14-16, illus. & descrip.)
FREEPORT, ONT., Nurses' Home at the Freeport Sanatorium, Waterloo County, 1926 (Daily Record [Kitchener], 26 June 1926, Section Two, 1, illus. & descript.)
STONEY CREEK, ONT., High School, 1926 (C.R., xl, 1 Dec. 1926, 51)
RAVENSCLIFFE AVENUE, residence for Dr. Frederick L. Williamson, 1926 (dwgs. at OA, McDonnell Coll.)
PRESTON, ONT., Rock Brewery Co., factory and warehouses, Brown Street near Hamilton Street, 1927 (Daily Commercial News, 19 June 1927, 5)
HAMILTON, ONT., Public Market Building, 1927-28, but not built (Mark Osbaldeston, Unbuilt Hamilton, 2016, 90, illus. & descrip.)
BRANTFORD, ONT., Strobridge Motor Sales Co., Darling Street at King Street, 1928 (C.R., xlii, 1 Feb. 1928, 49, t.c.; dwgs. at OA, McDonnell Coll.)
CARTER'S LTD. SERVICE GARAGE, Main Street East near Catharine Street, 1928 (C.R., xlii, 31 Oct. 1928, 63, illus. in advert.)
INNERKIP, ONT., Continuation School for S.S. 10, East Zorra Township, Oxford Co., 1928 (C.R., xlii, 18 April 1928, 69, t.c.)
BURLINGTON, ONT., residence for W.G. Marriott, Rossmore Boulevard at Princess Boulevard, in Roseland Park, 1928 (C.R., xlii, 25 July 1928, 66; inf. Robert Hamilton, of Hamilton, Ont. )

F.W. WARREN

BURLINGTON, ONT., residence for Earl W. BeSaw, Hampton Court at Rossmore Boulevard, 1930 (McLean Builder's Guide [Toronto], 1930, Design No. 230, illus. & descrip.; Glengarry News, 6 June 1930, 6, descrip.; inf. Robert Hamilton, of Hamilton, Ont.)
TORONTO, ONT., major addition to warehouse for Hill The Mover, Spadina Avenue near Cecil Street, for Rowland M. Hill, of Hamilton, 1930 (Toronto Star, 7 Nov. 1930, 31)
WATERLOO, ONT., Elizabeth Zeigler Public School, Moore Avenue, 1931 (C.R., xlv, 28 Jan. 1931, 55)
PRESTON, ONT., Community Arena and Hall, 1931 (C.R., xlv, 1 April 1931, 59)
COBOURG, ONT., House of Refuge, for the United Counties of Northumberland & Durham, 1935 (Canadian Statesman [Bowmanville], 16 May 1935, 12, t.c.)
KEMPTVILLE, ONT., High School, Prescott Street, 1936 (C.R., vol. 50, 11 March 1936, 33, t.c.; Ottawa Journal, 17 Aug. 1936, 18, descrip.)
SALTFLEET TOWNSHIP, School, 1937 (C.R., vol. 50, 4 Aug. 1937, 26, t.c.)
NORTH BAY, ONT., Queen's Hotel, Main Street at Fraser Street, 1937 (C.R., vol. 50, 21 April 1937, 35)
AYLMER, ONT., addition to the High School, 1937 (C.R., vol. 50, 16 June 1937, 33)
ELMIRA, ONT., School, 1938 (C.R., li, 25 May 1938, 31)
ENNISKILLEN, ONT., major addition and alterations to public school, 1938 ( Canadian Statesman [Bowmanville], 12 May 1938, 12, t.c.)
PORT ELGIN, ONT., High School, 1938-39 (C.R., li, 28 Sept. 1938, 23, t.c.)
MASONIC GRAND LODGE, Gore Street, reconstruction, 1941 (C.R., liv, 30 April 1941, 34)
DELHI, ONT., School, 1941 (C.R., liv, 11 June 1941, 31)
MATTAWA, ONT., High School, 1946 (C.R., lix, July 1946, 106)
COMLEY PUBLIC SCHOOL, Limeridge Road near Upper Gage Avenue, 1947 (inf. Hamilton Public School Board)
LORING, ONT., School, 1949 (C.R. lxii, July 1949, 134)
ESPANOLA, ONT., High School, 1950 (C.R., lxiii, July 1950, 117)