HOPE, Charles Edward (1864-1949), brother of Archibald C. Hope, was born in Bradford, England and, like his younger brother, trained under his father Thomas C. Hope. He established an office in Vancouver in June 1889 and within a month had prepared plans for a new public market building and for a large furniture factory (Vancouver Daily World, 13 July 1889, 4). The following year, he was credited in a New York City journal as the architect of the Temperance Hall & Coffee Tavern, West Hastings Street at Abbott Street, VANCOUVER, B.C. (Engineering & Building Record [New York], xxii, 26 July 1890, 128). This substantial work was estimated to cost $30,000, and although construction work was started, it appears that this project was never completed. He also designed the Alexandra Hospital, West 7th Avenue at Pine Street, VANCOUVER, B.C., 1891-92 (Vancouver Daily World, 27 April 1891, 6, t.c.) and a commercial block for J. Pickles, Seymour Street, VANCOUVER, B.C., 1891 (Vancouver Daily World, 15 Aug. 1891, 8).
His architectural career appears to have been shortlived however; he was listed as an architect until 1896 and then became interested in mining development at Rossland, B.C. He later served on the Vancouver School Board from 1906 to 1909 and moved to Fort Langley in 1910 where he opened a real estate office in that town and was instrumental in the property development of the former Hudson's Bay Company lands. He was active in local politics in Fort Langley and supervised the construction of many dykes along the banks of the Lower Fraser River. He died there on 27 April 1949 (obituary in the Vancouver Sun, 28 April 1949, 7; Langley Advance, 5 May 1949; British Columbian [New Westminster], Saturday Magazine, 14 May 1949, 8; biog. Vancouver Daily World, 13 July 1889, 4; D. Luxton, Building the West: The Early Architects of British Columbia, 2003, 468, 506)
VANCOUVER, B.C., Alexandra Hospital for Women & Children, West 7th Avenue at Pine Street, 1891-92 (Nanaimo Free Press, 26 Feb. 1892, 1, descrip.)