JULIAN, Thomas Enner (1843-1921) was active as an architect in Calgary, Vancouver and New Westminster from 1888 until his retirement from the profession in 1910. Born in St. Agnes, Co. Cornwall, England in July 1843 he may have received his education and early training there before coming to Canada. He commenced practise under his own name first in Calgary in 1888, then in Vancouver in 1889, but moved to New Westminster to practise there in 1891 and 1892. The following year he entered into a brief partnership with George W. Grant, a successful New Westminster architect, but by 1894 he had returned to Vancouver to open his own office. He was ambitious enough to submit an entry in the competition for the British Columbia Parliament Buildings at Victoria, B.C. in 1892, but his proposal was passed over in favour of that by F.M. Rattenbury (M. Segger, The British Columbia Parliament Buildings, 1979, 84). His best known work was the Gothic Revival design for Holy Rosary Roman Catholic Cathedral in Vancouver, completed in 1900.
He was described as 'a man of considerable originality of mind and much quickness of apprehension' who took a keen interest in public affairs in the Vancouver area. His frequent letters to editors of Vancouver newspapers were 'well reasoned and intelligent', as can be seen from his proposal for a Second Narrows Dam which he suggested in 1911 (The World [Vancouver], 6 Jan. 1911, 12, illus. & descrip.). Julian died in Vancouver on 10 September 1921 and was buried at Mountain View Cemetery (obituary in Vancouver Daily World, 12 Sept. 1921, 1; Province [Vancouver], 12 Sept. 1921, 20; biog. and list of works Vancouver Daily World, 13 July 1894, 4; BCPA, Wills, 6569; D. Luxton, Building the West: The Early Architects of British Columbia, 2003, 171, 507)
QUEEN'S AVENUE METHODIST CHURCH, Sixth Street at Queen's Avenue, 1899 (C.R., x, 26 April 1899, 3; Chilliwack Progress, 26 April 1899, 4, t.c.; Queen's Avenue United Church Centennial 1859-1959, 30)
unnamed street, building for Kwang On Wo, 1899 (Chilliwack Progress, 26 April 1899, 4, t.c.)
FRONT STREET EAST, factory for B.C. Condensed Milk Co., 1899 (C.R., x, 7 June 1899, 2, t.c.)
COLUMBIA STREET, at McKenzie Street, commercial block for an unnamed client, 1899 (C.R., x, 30 Aug. 1899, 2, t.c.)
B.C. ELECTRIC RAILWAY CO., 12th Street, office building, c. 1900 (inf. J.D. Scott)
ST. PETER'S ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH, Blackwood Street, new Parish Hall, c. 1900; demol. (inf. J.D. Scott)
ST. PATRICK'S & YOUNG MEN'S INSTITUTE HALL, Church Street near 4th Street, c. 1900 (inf. J.D. Scott)
ROYAL BANK, Vancouver Street at Westminster Avenue, 1910 (C.R., xxiv, 21 Sept. 1910, 27)
C. McLACHLAN & CO., Bute Street at Burnaby Street, commercial block, 1894 (Vancouver Daily World, 6 Jully 1894, 2)
(with H.J. Williams) HOLY ROSARY ROMAN CATHOLIC CATHEDRAL, Richards Street at Dunsmuir Street, 1899-1900 (Vancouver Daily World, 13 April 1899, 7, t.c.; 15 April 1899, 4, descrip.; Province [Vancouver], 17 July 1899, 2, descrip.; Catholic Register [Toronto], 27 July 1899, 8, descrip.; Province [Vancouver], 12 July 1900, 9, extensive descrip.; inf. Donald Luxton, Vancouver)
ROMAN CATHOLIC REFUGE HOME, 14th Avenue, for the Nuns of the Order of Our Lady of Charity, 1900 (Vancouver Daily World, 21 April 1900, 6, t.c.)
EAST PENDER STREET, addition to the Wing Sang & Co. Building, 1901 (H. Kalman, Exploring Vancouver, 1978, 53)
HOWE STREET, at Helmcken Street, residence for Theodore Watson, 1902 (Canada, Canadian Inventory of Historic Building, MR 405, 36)
PROVINCIAL REFORMATORY FOR JUVENILE BOYS, near Jericho Beach, Point Grey, 1902 (Vancouver Daily World, 9 Aug. 1902, 2, descrip.; B.C., Sessional Papers, 1902, Public Accounts, 374; C.R., xiii, 3 Sept. 1902, 1, t.c.)
ST. ANDREW'S PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH, Richards Street, new Sunday School, 1903 (C.R., xiii,, 11 Feb. 1903, 3)
PROVINCIAL INDUSTRIAL SCHOOL & BOYS HOME, 4th Avenue West at Imperial Road, 1904; demol. 1978 (B.C., Sessional Papers, 1905, Public Accounts, 126)
ARROW LAKE, B.C., The St. Leon Hotel, at St. Leon Hot Springs, for Mike Grady, 1901; burned November 1968 (Kootenay Mail [Revelstoke], 23 May 1901, 1, descrip.; C.R., xii, 12 June 1901, 2)
VANCOUVER, B.C., the East End School, and the West End School, 1900. Ten local firms of architects submitted designs for two new public schools in Vancouver (Province [Vancouver], 21 July 1900, 6). His plans were set aside in favour of winning schemes by E.A. Whitehead and by Parr & Fee.
VANCOUVER, B.C., Simon Fraser Public School, West 16th Avenue, 1908. T.E. Julian was one of 19 architects who entered the competition for the large school. He was not among the three finalists, and Pearce & Hope were later declared as the winners (Vancouver Daily World, 9 April 1908, 10; 12 May 1908, 10)
VANCOUVER, B.C., The Industrial Exhibition Building, Hastings Park, 1909. Julian & Smith of Vancouver were one of five architectural firms invited to submit a design for the large exhibit hall on the Exhibitions Grounds in 1909 (Vancouver Daily World, 10 May 1909, 8). The winner was Henry B. Watson of Vancouver.
OTTAWA, ONT., Departmental Buildings, 1914. Julian was one of more than 60 Commonwealth architects who submitted a design in the competition for the Departmental Buildings in Ottawa in 1914, but he was not among the finalists (NAC, RG11, Vol. 2952, File 5370-1B).
VANCOUVER, B.C., Vancouver Civic Centre, 1915. Julian was among thirty architects from the United States and Canada who submitted a design in the competition for the Vancouver Civic Centre, but his entry was not premiated (C.R., xxix, 6 Jan. 1915, 8).