Chesterton, Walter

CHESTERTON, Walter (1845-1931)
(biography in preparation)

WALTER CHESTERTON

(works in Ottawa unless noted)

BISHOP'S CHAPEL, for the Anglican Bishop, Sussex Street, 1871, major additions and alterations to a former school erected 1860-61; burned 1912 (Daily Citizen [Ottawa], 17 May 1871, 2, t.c.; Free Press [Ottawa], 15 Nov. 1871, 3, descrip.)
F. McDOUGAL & CO., Elgin Street, block, 1871 (Free Press [Ottawa], 14 June 1871, 3, t.c.)
ST. GEORGE'S SOCIETY HALL, 1871 (Free Press [Ottawa], 21 July 1871, 3, descrip.)
POSTAL STATION & CUSTOMS HOUSE, Sparks Street at Wellington Street, 1872-75; demol. 1938 (Daily Citizen [Ottawa], 27 July 1872, 1, descrip.; Free Press [Ottawa], 13 April 1876, 4, descrip.; Canadian Illustrated News, viii, 19 July 1873, 37, 39, descrip. & illus.; xiv, 30 Sept. 1876, 183-4, illus. & descrip.; dwgs. at NAC, RG11M 80103/34)
(with William T. Thomas) OTTAWA COLLEGIATE INSTITUTE, Lisgar Street, 1874-75 (Daily Citizen [Ottawa], 20 Aug. 1875, 2, descrip.; 8 Dec. 1875, 2, descrip.)
STEWART STREET, residence for Frederick White, 1875 (Daily Citizen [Ottawa], 8 Dec. 1875, 2)
NEPEAN STREET, residence for Thomas Beament, 1875 (Daily Citizen [Ottawa], 8 Dec. 1875, 2)
WELLINGTON STREET, commercial block for H.K. Egan, 1875 (Daily Citizen [Ottawa], 8 Dec. 1875, 2)
METROPOLITAN METHODIST CHURCH, Metcalfe Street at Gloucester Street, 1879-81 (Free Press [Ottawa], 12 Aug. 1879, 4, descrip.; 4 Aug. 1880, 4, descrip.; 7 May 1881, 4, descrip.)
RIDEAU STREET, store for George Forde, 1879 (Daily Citizen [Ottawa], 20 Dec. 1879, 4)
CHRIST CHURCH ANGLICAN CATHEDRAL, Sparks Street, new pulpit, 1880 (Daily Citizen [Ottawa], 22 Dec. 1880, 4)
WINNIPEG, MAN., row of houses on Kennedy Street for Drummond Bros. & Lewis, 1881 (Manitoba Free Press [Winnipeg], 26 July 1881, 1, t.c.)

CHESTERTON & McNICHOL

(works in Winnipeg unless noted)

OGILVIE'S MILL, Higgins Avenue, 1881-82; addition, 1901 (Manitoba Free Press [Winnipeg], 20 Sept. 1881, 1, descrip.; C.R., xiii, 6 Aug. 1902, 2)
WELLINGTON CRECENT, residence for H.N. Ruttan, 1881 (Winnipeg Daily Times, 4 Nov. 1881, 1, descrip.)
ROSLYN ROAD, residence for A.W. Ross, 1882; extensively altered by Chesterton in 1902 for Hugh Sutherland (Winnipeg Daily Times, 4 Nov. 1881, 1, descrip.; C.R., xiii, 17 Sept. 1902, 6)
RIVER AVENUE, residence for H.M. Drummond, 1882 (Winnipeg Daily Times, 4 Nov. 1881, 1, descrip.)
EASTERN JUDICIAL JAIL, York Avenue, 1881-82 (Manitoba Free Press [Winnipeg], 13 Dec. 1881, 2, t.c.)
KENNEDY STREET, terrace of seven houses for Drummond Brothers & Lewis, 1882 (Manitoba Free Press [Winnipeg], 30 Jan. 1882, 1, t.c.)
ST. ANDREW'S PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH, Stanley Street at Logan Avenue, 1882 (Manitoba Free Press [Winnipeg], 31 Jan. 1882, 4, t.c.)
MAIN STREET, near Portage Avenue, block for Alexander McArthur, to be used by the Manitoba Investment Assoc. and the Scottish, Manitoba & North West Real Estate Assoc., 1882 (Manitoba Free Press [Winnipeg], 7 Feb. 1882, 8, t.c.)
WINNIPEG OPERA HOUSE, Notre Dame Avenue at Adelaide Street, 1882; altered 1897; burned 1926 (Manitoba Free Press [Winnipeg], 4 Feb. 1882, 8, t.c.; 28 Feb. 1882, 2, descrip.)
ST. BONIFACE WEST, residence for A.C. Killam, 1882 (Manitoba Free Press [Winnipeg], 13 March 1882, 4, t.c.)
BRANDON, MAN., Westminster Hotel, Rosser Avenue at 18th Street, 1882 (Manitoba Free Press [Winnipeg], 20 March 1882, 2)
DONALD STREET, at St. Mary Avenue, residence for John B. McKilligan, 1882 (Manitoba Free Press [Winnipeg], 30 March 1882, 4, t.c.)
KILDONAN, MAN., residence for E.P. Leacock, Scotia Street, 1882 (Manitoba Free Press [Winnipeg], 1 June 1882, 5, t.c.)
GARRY STREET, five houses for Boyle, Campbell & Co., 1882 (Winnipeg Daily Times, 9 Sept. 1882, 2, t.c.)
STONEWALL, MAN., Knox Presbyterian Church, 1883 (Neil Bingham, A Study of the Church Buildings in Manitoba, 1987, 217, illus.)
PIONEER AVENUE, block for McArthur, Boyle & Campbell, 1883 (Manitoba Free Press [Winnipeg], 4 May 1883, 5, t.c.)
GRAHAM AVENUE, near Edmonton Street, terrace of three houses for McArthur, Boyle & Campbell, 1883 (Manitoba Free Press [Winnipeg], 10 May 1883, 5, t.c.)

WALTER CHESTERTON

(works in Winnipeg unless noted)

EDMONTON STREET, residence for Francis B. Robinson, 1885 (Evening News [Winnipeg], 16 Oct. 1885)
ASSINIBOINE AVENUE, at Edmonton Street, residence for J. Stewart Tupper, 1885; additions, 1901 (list of works in Winnipeg Tribune, 1 Aug. 1891, 13; C.R., xi, 23 May 1900, 4)
FORT OSBORNE BARRACKS, new Officer's Quarters, and large stables building, 1887 (Manitoba Free Press [Winnipeg], 10 Sept. 1887, 4, descrip.)
DONALD STREET, near Graham Avenue, residence for William Hatton, 1887 (Manitoba Sun [Winnipeg], 12 Oct. 1888)
F.E. WELDON & CO., Portage Avenue at Donald Street, warehouse, 1889 (Manitoba Free Press [Winnipeg], 20 Aug. 1889, 4, t.c.)
REGINA, SASK., Union School, 1889-90; demol. 1910 (Regina Leader, 18 Feb. 1890, 1, illus. & descrip.)
REGINA, SASK., Indian Industrial School, 1890-91 (Winnipeg Daily Tribune, 19 April 1890, 5)
BRANDON, MAN., Boy's Reformatory, 1889 (Brandon Mail, 4 July 1889, 1, descrip.)
BRANDON, MAN., Imperial Bank, 1890 (Winnipeg Daily Tribune, 19 April 1890, 5)
(with W.H. Shillinglaw) BRANDON, MAN., Fleming Block, Rosser Avenue, 1890 (Weekly Sun [Brandon], 24 April 1890, 5, t.c.; Brandon Mail, 5 May 1892, 4; Winnipeg Daily Tribune, 19 Dec. 1890, 14, descrip.)
FORT ROUGE SCHOOL, River Avenue at Main Street, 1891; addition, 1897; demol. 1954 (Manitoba Free Press [Winnipeg], 14 Oct. 1891, 8; C.R., viii, 22 April 1897, 2)
STONEWALL, MAN., Public School, 1891 (list of works in Winnipeg Tribune, 1 Aug. 1891, 13; M. Farmer, Stonewall: Turning A Century, 1978, 8, illus.)
ASSINIBOINE AVENUE, residence for Ernest Stewart, 1891 (list of works in Winnipeg Tribune, 1 Aug. 1891, 13)
VIRDEN, MAN., St. Mary's Anglican Church, 1891 (list of works in Winnipeg Tribune, 1 Aug. 1891, 13; Brandon Mail, 19 Nov. 1891, 2, t.c.)
VIRDEN, MAN., Public School, 1892; demol. 1956 (Winnipeg Tribune, 29 March 1892, 4)
VIRDEN, MAN., two stores for John Cain, 1892 (Winnipeg Tribune, 3 April 1892, 8; Virden Chronicle, 11 Jan. 1894, 1, descrip.)
GLENBORO, MAN., Public School, 1892 (Winnipeg Tribune, 5 April 1892, 4, t.c.)
KENNEDY STREET, residence for Miss M.E. Rowan, 1892 (C.R., iii, 27 Aug. 1892, 2)
FORT QU'APPELLE, SASK., master plan for a village for Lord Brassey's colony, 1892 (Winnipeg Tribune, 1 Oct. 1892, 8)
BROADWAY, at Edmonton Street, residence for W.W. McLeod, 1892 (Manitoba Free Press [Winnipeg], 8 Oct. 1892, 6)
BROADWAY, at Carlton Street, residence for Fred W. Thompson, 1892 (Manitoba Free Press [Winnipeg], 8 Oct. 1892, 3 and 6, illus)
MIDDLE CHURCH, MAN., Anglican parsonage for Rev. James Page, 1893 (C.R., iv, 16 Feb. 1893, 1)
LA BANQUE NATIONALE, Main Street at Portage Avenue, extensive interior alterations to existing building for a new bank branch, 1893 (Winnipeg Tribune, 30 March 1893, 4, descrip.)
EDMONTON STREET, residence for William A. Black, 1893 (Manitoba Free Press [Winnipeg], 27 May 1893, 8, descrip.)
DONALD STREET, near Broadway, residence for George V. Hastings, 1893; demol. c. 1965 (C.R., iv, 29 June 1893, 2)
MANITOBA MEDICAL COLLEGE, McDermot Avenue, additions and alterations, 1894 (Winnipeg Tribune, 22 Aug. 1894, 5, descrip.; C.R., v, 26 April 1894, 2)
ASSINIBOINE AVENUE, near Edmonton Street, residence for Lauchlan A. Hamilton, 1894 (Manitoba Free Press [Winnipeg], 3 Nov. 1894, 1, illus. & descrip.)
INDIAN HEAD, SASK., St. John's Anglican Church, 1894-95 (C.R., v, 5 July 1894, 1; Canadian Churchman [Toronto], 15 Aug. 1895, 491, descrip.; Qu'Appelle Vidette [Fort Qu'Appelle], 21 Nov. 1895, 4)
INDIAN HEAD, SASK., residence for the Anglican Bishop of Qu'Appelle, 1895 (Nor' Wester [Winnipeg], 8 May 1895, 5; Manitoba Free Press [Winnipeg], 8 May 1895, 8, descrip.; Winnipeg Tribune, 5 Aug. 1895, 8)
INDIAN HEAD, SASK., additions to 'The Home', for the Lord Brassey, 1895 (Manitoba Free Press [Winnipeg], 8 May 1895, 8; Qu'Appelle Vidette [Fort Qu'Appelle], 16 May 1895, 4; C.R., vi, 16 May 1895, 2)
WINNIPEG HOTEL, Main Street near St. Mary's Avenue, new facade and major alterations, 1895 (C.R., vi, 29 Aug. 1895, 2; Winnipeg Tribune, 13 Feb. 1896, 5, descrip.; Winnipeg, 1990-The Year Past, 49-50, illus.)
INDIAN HEAD, SASK., hospital, rectory, school, and servant's home, 1895 (Manitoba Morning Free Press [Winnipeg], 8 June 1895, 8; C.R., vi, 5 Sept. 1895, 2)
ARMSTRONG'S POINT, residence for James R. Waghorn, Assiniboine Avenue, 1895 (Manitoba Morning Free Press [Winnipeg], 8 June 1895, 8, t.c.)
ST. JOHN'S ANGLICAN CATHEDRAL, St. John's Private Road, front tower and new roof, 1896 (C.R., vi, 28 May 1896, 2)
J.H. ASHDOWN LTD., Bannatyne Avenue, from Main Street to Albert Street, major alterations to hardware warehouse, 1896 (Winnipeg Tribune, 27 June 1896, 2, descrip.)
EAST GATE, Armstrong's Point, residence for William J. Tupper, 1896 (Manitoba Free Press [Winnipeg], 18 July 1896, 8)
THE AUDITORIUM SKATING ARENA, Garry Street at York Street, 1897; burned March 1926 (Winnipeg Daily Tribune, 15 March 1926, 13, historical retrospective & descrip.)
WHITEWOOD, SASK., St. Mary's Anglican Church, 1897 (Winnipeg Tribune, 28 June 1897, 5)
OGILVIE MILLING CO., King Street at Alexander Street, new facade and major alterations to the Office Building, 1898 (Winnipeg Tribune, 23 April 1898, 1, descrip.)
OGILVIE MILLING CO., major improvements at the Mills, with new Mill office, new Boiler house, and a Machinery building, 1898 (Winnipeg Tribune, 23 April 1898, 1, descrip.)
BULMAN BROS., Bannatyne Avenue at Albert Street, warehouse, 1899 (Winnipeg Tribune, 10 April 1899, 8; 2 June 1899, 6, descrip.)
FORT ROUGE, residence for H.W. Husband, Roslyn Place, 1899 (Winnipeg Tribune, 31 May 1899, 8)
SELKIRK, MAN., Asylum for the Insane, chapel and recreation hall, 1899 (C.R., x, 5 July 1899, 3, t.c.)
DONALD STREET, residence for George L. Lindsay, 1899 (C.R., x, 30 Aug. 1899, 3)
SINTALUTA, SASK., St. John's Anglican Church, 1899 (Anglican Diocese of Qu'Appelle, Occasional Paper No. 59, Feb. 1900, 11-12; M. Hrynink & F. Korvemaker, Legacy of Worship: Sacred Places in Rural Saskatchewan, 2014, 239, illus., but lacking attribution to the architect)
ASSINIBOINE AVENUE, residence for Rockley Kaye, 1901; demol. 1989 (C.R., xii, 1 May 1901, 5; Winnipeg, 1989-The Year Past, 61-2, illus.)
ROSLYN ROAD, residence for John F. Bain, 1901 (Winnipeg, 1981-The Year Past, 1982, 59-60, illus.)
CARLTON STREET, addition to residence for Hector Howell, 1902 (C.R., xiii, 2 April 1902, 2)
HAVERGAL LADIES COLLEGE, Carlton Street, major addition, 1902 (C.R., xiii, 2 April 1902, 3)
ROSLYN PLACE, residence for Douglas A. Clark, 1903 (C.R., xiii, 4 Feb. 1903, 3, t.c.)
REGINA, SASK., J.I. Case Threshing Co., Broad Street North, warehouse, 1903 (C.R., xiv, 11 March 1903, 3)
MANITOU, MAN., Anglican Church, 1903 (C.R., xiv, 11 March 1903, 3, t.c.)
MANITOU, MAN., Normal School, 1903 (Western Canadian [Manitou], 11 March 1903, 1)

COMPETITIONS

OTTAWA, ONT., City Hall, 1874. Chesterton had entered the initial competition for this major institutional project in 1872 and Silas James had been awarded First Premium. This winning scheme was later rejected as too costly, and Chesterton entered the 1874 competition with a design 'in the early French Gothic style' (The Times [Ottawa], 16 April 1874, 2, descrip.). Again his proposal was set aside, this time in favour of the plans submitted by Horsey & Sheard.
FREDERICTON, N.B., Legislative Building, 1879. Chesterton was among the fourteen competitors but his scheme was not premiated and J.C. Dumaresq was awarded First Prize. The following year Chesterton exhibited his design at the inaugural exhibition of the Royal Canadian Academy (Ottawa Free Press, 8 March 1880, 2).
WINNIPEG, MAN., Civic Court House and Jail. Chesterton received First Premium for his plan of the City Jail, but his proposal for the new Court House was given Second Prize as the jury favoured another design by C.O. Wickenden (Manitoba Free Press, 28 July 1881, 1)
WINNIPEG, MAN., Holy Trinity Church, 1882. This scheme, submitted by Chesterton & McNichol, was one of nearly twenty proposals offered for this commission. Their plan was 'based on the cathedral type, adapted as far as possible to the necessities of the climate', and was awarded a Second Prize (description in the Winnipeg Daily Sun, 31 March 1883, 1). The design submitted by Charles Wheeler was eventually built.
PORTAGE LA PRAIRIE, MAN., Home For Incurables, 1889. Chesterton was one of three Winnipeg architects who prepared plans for this complex. The juror Hugh McCowan noted that in Chesteron's scheme 'the general planning of this design is good...but it has some objectionable features', and the commission was awarded to Charles Wheeler (MAA, RG18, A2, Box 7, Jury Report).
THE HAGUE, NETHERLANDS, Palace of Peace, 1905-06. This important international competition, sponsored by Andrew Carnegie, attracted 216 entries from such luminaries as Otto Wagner (Vienna), Carrere & Hastings (New York) and Eliel Saarinen (Helsinki). Chesterton submitted an uninspired and rambling Beaux-Arts design which was not premiated, and the commission was awarded to Louis M. Cordonnier of France (H. Haagsma, Architects in Competition, 1988, Vol. 1, 105-14, illus.). The full set of watercolour drawings submitted by Chesterton survives in the Picture Collection of the National Archives of Canada in Ottawa (NAC, Picture Coll., C 104976 to 104991).