Millson, Richard Hubert

MILLSON, Richard Hubert (1886-1946) was active in Ottawa in 1915-26 where he was in partnership with Cecil Burgess from 1915 until 1922. They were joined by A.J. Hazelgrove in 1923-24, but Hazelgrove departed in late 1924, leaving Millson & Burgess to continue the practise until 1926. Millson was born in Kingston-on-Thames, Co. Middlesex, on 27 November 1886, son of Frederick Millson, a landscape and figure painter active in London (see the Dictionary of British Artists 1880-1940, 1976, 355). No information can be found on his education and training, but he emigrated to the United States in 1908 and may have worked in the New York area before moving to Canada in 1915. He settled in Ottawa, and within a few months he had formed a new partnership with Cecil Burgess. They were successful in obtaining commissions for several public, commerical and ecclesiastical buildings in both Ontario and western Quebec. Millson appears to have left the Ottawa area in late 1926 and moved back to the United States, taking up residence in Nassau County, Long Island where he lived in North Hempstead, and later in Port Washington. He died in Baldwin, N.Y. on 24 October 1946 (obituary Brooklyn Eagle [Brooklyn], 26 Oct. 1946, 5). At the time of his death he was described as being an architect with the office of Frederic P. Wiedersum & Co., Architects of Valley Stream, N.Y. (inf. Jane Scott Millson, Stroudsburg, Penn.; inf. Helen Gillespie, Ottawa, Ont.)

(works in Ottawa unless noted)


ISOLATION HOSPITAL, Range Road, addition of a 3 storey sunroom wing for convalescent patients, 1916 (Evening Journal [Ottawa], 17 Feb. 1916, 8, descrip.)
RENFREW, ONT., Carnegie Library, 1916 (M. Beckman, The Best Gift, 1984, 185)
SPARKS STREET, commercial block for Robert & Russell Blackburn, 1917 (C.R., xxxi, 22 Aug. 1917, 41)
SOUTH OSGOODE, ONT., a church, 1917 (Evening Journal [Ottawa], 1 Oct. 1917, 13, t.c.)
JOURNAL PRINTING CO., Queen Street, 1917-18 (Const., xi, May 1918, 159, illus. & descrip.)
KARS, ONT., St. John's Anglican Church, Old Prescott Road, Osgoode Township, 1918-19 (M. Daley, St. John's Parish 125th Anniversary 1854-1979, illus.)
RENFREW, ONT., War Memorial Cenotaph, [won in a competition], 1919 (Ottawa Journal, 31 May 1919, 9)
RENFREW, ONT., Fire Hall, 1919 (E. Wilmott, Where's The Fire, 1980, 78-9, illus.)
KNIGHTS OF COLUMBUS HALL, Laurier Avenue West near Elgin Street, 1919 (C.R., xxxiii, 14 May 1919, 46, t.c.)
OTTAWA PAINT WORKS, Wellington Street, major alterations, 1920 (C.R., xxxiv, 8 Sept. 1920, 56)
CAMPBELL'S BAY, QUE., residence for the Roman Catholic congregation, 1920 (C.R., xxxiv, 13 Oct. 1920, 60)
OTTAWA ARENA & SKATING RINK, York Street at King Edward Avenue, 1921 (Evening Journal [Ottawa], 26 Feb. 1921, 22, descrip.)
PEMBROKE, ONT., Holy Name Roman Catholic Church, 1921 (C.R., xxxv, 13 April 1921, 59)
COMO, QUE., garden pavilion, garage and stables for J.A. O'Brien, 1921 (Le Prix Courant [Montreal], liv, 22 April 1921, 60)
CAMPBELL'S BAY, QUE., Town Hall, 1921 (Le Prix Courant [Montreal], liv, 3 June 1921, 60)
AYLMER, QUE. club house for the United Service Club, 1922 (Le Prix Courant [Montreal], lv, 7 April 1922, 52)
PLOUFFE PARK, The Plant City Public Baths, Somerset Street at Preston Street, 1923-24 (C.R., xxxvi, 1 March 1922, 52; xxxviii, 16 April 1924, 369-72, illus. & descrip.; Ottawa: A Guide to Heritage Structures, 2000, 211, illus.; Meredith Stewart, "The Public Baths of Ottawa: A Heritage Reconsidered" in Journal of the Society for the Study of Architecture in Canada, xl, No. 1, Spring 2015, 83-96, descrip. & illus.)
PEMBROKE, ONT., Roman Catholic School, 1922 (C.R., xxxvi, 5 April 1922, 57, t.c.)
CORNWALL, ONT., public school, 1922 (C.R., xxxvi, 22 March 1922, 49, t.c.)
LAROCQUE REGISTERED DEPT. STORE, Rideau Street at Dalhousie Street, 1922 (C.R., xxxvi, 16 Aug. 1922, 49)


CORNWALL, ONT., major addition to High School, 1923 (C.R., xxxvii, 28 March 1923, 51)
FIRE HALL NO. 11, Parkdale Avenue, 1924 (Ottawa: A Guide to Heritage Structures, 2000, 209, illus.)
ST. PATRICK'S ORPHAN'S HOME, Gloucester Street at Kent Street, 1924 (C.R., xxxviii, 5 March 1924, 113)


OTTAWA DRAMA LEAGUE, a theatre, 1926 (C.R., xl, 12 May 1926, 52)
LAURIER AVENUE, apartment house for Wolf Shenkman, 1926 (C.R., xl, 21 July 1926, 54)
PERTH, ONT., St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church, 1926 (C.R., xl, 10 Nov. 1926, 52; xli, 15 June 1927, 612, illus.)