James, Douglas

JAMES, Douglas (1888-1962), the brother of Percy L. James, was born in London, England on 17 March 1888 and articled to L.E. Godfrey Page from November 1902 until late 1905. He was employed as assistant to John Slater in London for two years during which time he studied at the Royal Academy and obtained a first class certificate in Architectural Design from the South Kensington Technical School. In 1907 at the age of twenty he followed his brother Percy to Canada and settled in Victoria, British Columbia. The brothers formed a partnership there in 1910 and worked together until 1915 when Douglas joined Canadian Expeditionary Forces in Europe (see list of works under James & James). After the end of World War I, Douglas James returned to Vancouver Island and settled at Duncan where he maintained his own practise until 1943. He retired after 1950 and died at Victoria on 30 September 1962 (death notice in the Daily Colonist [Victoria], 2 Oct. 1962, 22; D. Luxton, Building the West: The Early Architects of British Columbia, 2003, 302-03, 506; inf. Architectural Inst. of British Columbia, Vancouver)

NANAIMO, B.C., Nanaimo Motors Ltd., Front Street, 1924 (inf. Donald Luxton)
SHAWNIGAN LAKE, B.C., chapel for C.W. Lonsdale, 1927 (dwgs. at BCPA, Prints & Drawings Coll.)
VICTORIA, B.C., residence at Uplands for John Christie, Upper Terrace Road opposite Cardigan Road, 1929 (Larry McCann, Imagining Uplands, 2016, 288, illus.)
DUNCAN, B.C., a retail liquor store for Mr. Rhodes, Canada Avenue at Ingram Street, 1929 (Nanaimo Free Press, 5 March 1929, 4, descrip.)
(with Eric Clarkson) OAK BAY, B.C., a fifty suite apartment block, Beach Drive, for the Vancouver Island Apartments Ltd., 1930 (C.R., xliv, 1 Oct. 1930, 70)
COWICHAN, B.C., a chapel for Queen Margaret's School, 1933 (Blairmore Enterprise [Blairmore, Alta.], 28 Dec. 1933, 3, descrip.)
COMOX, B.C., St. Peter's Anglican Church, 1939 (dwgs. at BCPA, Prints & Drawings Coll.)
(with D.C. Frame) VICTORIA, B.C., Canadian Bank of Commerce, Government Street, 1946 (inf. from Hallmark Society, Victoria)
(with Hubert Savage and D.C. Frame) VICTORIA, B.C., Memorial Arena, Blanshard Street at Caledonia Avenue, 1947; demol. 2003 (inf. from Hallmark Society, Victoria)