Thomas, Cyrus Pole

THOMAS, Cyrus Pole (1833-1911), a leading architect in Toronto, Halifax, and later in Chicago, Illinois. He was the son of William Thomas (1799-1860), and he later practised in partnership with his older brother William Tutin Thomas. He was active in the following Canadian and American architectural firms:

William Thomas & Sons, Toronto, Ont. & Halifax, N.S. 1857
Cyrus P. Thomas, Halifax, N.S. August 1858 to late 1862
Thomas Brothers, Architects (Cyrus P. Thomas & William T. Thomas), Montreal 1862-67
Cyrus P. Thomas, Montreal 1867-1869
Thomas & Nicholl, Architects, Chicago 1870 (with Thomas F. Nicholl)
Cyrus P. Thomas, Chicago 1870-71
Wheelock & Thomas, Architects, Chicago 1872 to December 1875 (with Otis L. Wheelock)
Cyrus P. Thomas , Chicago, Jan. 1876 to May 1884
Thomas & Rodger, Architects, Chicago, June 1884 to 1887 (with John Rodger)
Cyrus P. Thomas, Chicago, 1888
Thomas & Rapp, Architects, Chicago, January 1889 to 1895 (with Cornelius W. Rapp)
Cyrus P. Thomas, Chicago 1896-97
Cyrus P. Thomas, Toronto, 1898-1900

Born in Birmingham, England on 31 August 1833, he was brought to Canada by his parents in 1843 at the age of 10 years. His family settled in Toronto, and Cyrus received his education there, then trained under his talented father who likely influenced his two sons to pursue a career in architecture. Both Cyrus and William T. learned the profession well from their father, and both proved to be able and competent designers in their own right. By 1857, William Sr. had invited his two sons to form a partnership to handle the increasing workload of commissions in Quebec City and Nova Scotia. In Halifax, N.S., Cyrus P. was recorded as a member of the firm of William Thomas & Sons, Architects, which had its head office in Toronto. It appears that C.P. Thomas made a major contribution to the design of substantial projects in Halifax after this date, and in August 1858 he opened a permanent office in Halifax, representing his father’s firm.

By January 1, 1860, C.P. Thomas was operating his own office there and calling tenders for Halifax projects under his own name (British Colonist [Halifax], 12 Jan. 1860; Morning Sun [Halifax], 18 Jan 1860). This included designs for a significant number of warehouse buildings lining both sides of Granville Street which had been ravaged by the Great Fire in Halifax on 9 September 1859. These new works were executed by Thomas in a Renaissance Revival or Italianate style, incorporating cast iron facades on the ground floor, and stone cladding on the upper floors. These designs served as a precedent for many of his later warehouse projects which he completed in Chicago in 1870-72, such as the magnificent Bookseller’s Row (1871) and bear a distinct similarity in style to his Halifax work.

After the death of his father in December 1860, Cyrus P. continued to work in Halifax until late 1862, then he moved to Montreal to join his older brother William Tutin Thomas in the firm of Thomas Brothers, Architects. Together they completed one of their outstanding works, the elaborate design for Caverhill’s Block (1865; still standing 2016), undoubtedly a design which came from the hand of Cyrus P. since a perspective plate of the building published in 1870 is signed “ Architect, Mr. C.P. Thomas, Chicago”, and was intended to promote his abilities after Thomas had moved to that American city to continue his career.

Arriving there in early 1870, just one year before the Great Fire of Chicago in October 1871, he made a significant contribution to Chicago architecture in the post-Fire era, and new research has now made it possible to link his name, either alone or in partnerships, to nearly 200 commercial, industrial, residential and institutional projects in the Chicago area built between 1870 and 1896. This includes more than a dozen buildings within The Loop, many of which still stand today but are often credited to “anonymous”, or “unknown” architects, and which are situated on prominent sites along State Street, Wabash Avenue, Dearborn Street, Randolph Street, Monroe Street, and Washington Street. He was active in Chicago in a succession of partnerships, including one with Otis Wheelock (from early 1872 to December 1875), and with John Rodger (1884 to 1887), and from January 1889 to 1895 with Cornelius W. Rapp, who would later become a leading American theatre architect working in collaboration with his brother George L. Rapp. In between these partnerships, C.P. Thomas maintained a successful office under his own name, designing residential, commercial and industrial buildings in the Greater Chicago area. He was an advocate of the French flat system of apartment accommodation, and spent the summer of 1875 in Paris and other European cities studying the French prototype of walk-up housing blocks, then applied his ideas to many sites in the Chicago area, He was said to have possessed “ strict integrity and ability”, and his early work in the city was “equalled by few in beauty of design, and boldness and elegance of detail” (biography of C.P. Thomas published in The Chicago Daily Tribune, 30 Jan. 1876, 5).

In 1898 he moved back to Canada and once again took up residence in Toronto, Ont. where he designed his last known work in this country, a substantial 6 storey apartment block building called The St. George Apartments [later renamed Trinity House, a temporary residence for Men], on the campus of the University of Toronto, 1899; demol. c. 1960). He appears to have left Canada after 1900 when he moved to Massachusetts. Thomas died at his residence in Cambridge, Mass. on 16 October 1911 at the age of 78 years (obituary Chicago Daily Tribune, 19 October 1911, 9; obit. New York Architect [New York City], v, Oct. 1911, p. 191; inf. Stephen A. Otto, Toronto. A photographic portrait of C.P. Thomas, with a brief list of works, can be found in Glenn McArthur & Annie Szamosi, William Thomas Architect 1799-1860, 1996, 133-4, 139).

CYRUS P. THOMAS

(works in Halifax, N.S.)

DUFFUS & CO., Granville Street at Buckingham Street, a four storey warehouse “in the Italian style”, 1859-60 (British Colonist [Halifax], 22 Nov. 1859, 3, t.c.; Halifax Reporter, 3 Nov. 1860, 2, descrip.)
DUFFUS & CO., Granville Street, two retail stores adjoining the Duffus warehouse, each four storeys in height, 1860 (Halifax Reporter, 3 Nov. 1860, 2, descrip.)
J.B. BENNET & CO., Granville Street, wholesale and retail warehouse, with rear entrance on Hollis Street, 1860 (Halifax Reporter, 3 Nov. 1860, 2, descrip.)
BILLING & CO. - LONDON HOUSE, retail store for Edward Billing, 1860 (Halifax Reporter, 3 Nov. 1860, 2, descrip.)
PALACE BUILDINGS, Granville Street, a row of six shops, each 4 storeys high, with two shops for E.W. Chipman & Co., two for E. Billing Jr. & Co., one for Henry Mignowitz, and one for Keyran Skerry, 1860 (British Colonist [Halifax], 8 Dec. 1859, 3, t.c.; Halifax Reporter, 3 Nov. 1860, 2, descrip.)
W.J. COLEMAN BUILDING, located “opposite to the Palace Buildings”, Granville Street, two stores each 4 storeys in height, 1860 (Halifax Reporter, 3 Nov. 1860, 2, descrip.)
ROBERT ROMAN BUILDING, Granville Street at Duke Street, two stores for Robert Roman, each 4 storeys in height, 1860 (Halifax Reporter, 3 Nov. 1860, 2, descrip.)
GEORGE STREET, Hollis Street, Market Street and Cheapside, block of commercial buildings fronting on each street, 1861 (British Colonist [Halifax], 16 Feb. 1861, 3, t.c.)
UNION BANK, Hollis Street at Prince Street, 1861-62 (Evening Express [Halifax], 13 Nov. 1861, 2, descrip.; Montreal Herald, 21 Feb. 1863, 2, descrip.; Halifax Reporter, 7 July 1863, 2, descrip.; Builder [London], xxi, 18 April 1863, 278-9, illus. & descrip.)

(works in Montreal, Que.)

A. & S. McFARLANE & CO., St. Paul Street near St. Nicholas Street, with rear facade on Commissioners Street, 1863 (Montreal Transcript, 24 Oct. 1863, 2, descrip.)
FRENCH EVANGELICAL PROTESTANT CHURCH, Craig Street at St. Elizabeth Street, 1863 (Globe [Toronto], 1 Oct. 1863, 1; H. Bergevin, Eglises Protestants, 1981, 84, illus.)
WESLEYAN METHODIST CHURCH, Dorchester Street West, 1864-65 (Christian Guardian [Toronto], 12 Oct. 1864, 166-7, descrip.; Gazette [Montreal], Illustrated Supplement, 25 Dec. 1865, 16, illus. & descrip.)
EASTERN WESLEYAN METHODIST CHURCH, Sherbrooke Street West at St. Lawrence Main Street, 1864-65 (Gazette [Montreal], 1 Aug. 1864, 2; 25 Dec. 1865, 16, Illustrated Supplement, descrip.; Montreal, Les Eglises, 1981, 446-9, illus.)
ERSKINE PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH, Ste. Catherine Street West at Peel Street, 1865-66; demol. 1894 (Builder [London], xxiii, 13 May 1865, 333-4, descrip.; Gazette [Montreal], 12 June 1865, 2, detailed descrip.; Montreal Herald, 12 June 1865, 2, descrip.; 19 Dec. 1865, 1, descrip.)

(competitions by C.P. Thomas)

MONTREAL, QUE., CANADA PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH, Ste. Catherine Street West near Peel Street, 1862-64, for Rev. Dr. William Taylor. Thomas was one of several architects who submitted a design for the project. His scheme was the preferred one, but another competitor, John W. Hopkins, sued Thomas in Quebec Superior Court to obtain the commission, and he won a financial judgement against Thomas. A lengthy article on the court case was published in the British architectural journal The Builder [London], xxv, 8 June 1867, 415.

THOMAS BROTHERS, Montreal

CAVERHILL'S BUILDINGS, St. Peter Street at St. Alexis Street, three warehouses, each 4 storeys high, for John Caverhill and Thomas Caverhill, a commission won in a competition, 1865 (Gazette [Montreal], 31 July 1865, 2, detailed descrip.; Montreal Herald, 19 Dec. 1865, 1, descrip.; 22 March 1867, Supplement, 7, illus. & descrip.; Builder [London], xxiv, 24 Feb. 1866, 135, descrip.; xxv, 6 July 1867, 494, descrip.; American Architect & Builders’ Monthly [New York], Vol. 1, March 1870, 7, descrip., with full page plate illus.; Montreal, Les Magasins Les Cinemas, 1985, 23-6, illus.)
SIMPSON STREET, north of Sherbrooke Street West, villa for George Stark, 1865 (Montreal Herald, 19 Dec. 1865, 1, descrip.)
ST. LAURENT BOULEVARD, near Sherbrooke Street, three houses for Andrew Hood, 1867 (Montreal Herald, 22 March 1867, Illustrated Supplement, 1)
FOULDS & HODGSON CO., St. Paul Street, new warehouse extension, 1867 (Montreal Herald, 22 March 1867, Illustrated Supplement, 4, descrip.)
McGILL STREET, three warehouses for James Donnelly, Walter MacFarlane and Moore, Sempel & Hachette Co., 1867 (Montreal Herald, 22 March 1867, Illustrated Supplement, 4, descrip.)

CYRUS P. THOMAS, Montreal

ONTARIO AVENUE, 'Hillside', a villa for John Rankin, 1867 (Montreal Herald, 7 Dec. 1867, 2, descrip.)
SHERBROOKE STREET WEST, at Bleury Street, terrace house for John Sinclair, 1867 (Montreal Herald, 7 Dec. 1867, 2)
SIMPSON AVENUE, at Sherbrooke Street West, villa for David Lewis, 1867 (Montreal Herald, 7 Dec. 1867, 2, descrip.; Montreal, Les Residences, 1987, 422-5, illus.)
DORCHESTER STREET WEST, near University Street, new additions and extensive alterations to residence for W.F. Kay, 1867 (Montreal Herald, 7 Dec. 1867, 2)
NOTRE DAME STREET, at St. Lambert Street, row of six stores for Harrison Stephen, including store for A. Brahadi, 1867 (Montreal Herald, 7 Dec. 1867, 2, descrip.)
LEWIS, KAY & CO., St. Helen Street at Recollet Street, warehouse, 1867 (Montreal Herald, 7 Dec. 1867, 2, descrip.; 9 Dec. 1868, 1, descrip.; Montreal, Les Magasins Les Cinemas, 1985, 89-96, illus.)
JAMES MORISON CO., Notre Dame Street at St. Helen Street, 1867 (Montreal Herald, 7 Dec. 1867, 2)
ST. PAUL STREET, at St. Francois Xavier Street, two warehouses for Harrison Stephen, 1867 (Montreal Herald, 7 Dec. 1867, 2; 9 Dec. 1868, 1)
CHRIST CHURCH ANGLICAN CATHEDRAL, Ste. Catherine Street West, a Memorial to the late Bishop Fulford, 1869 (Gazette [Montreal], 24 March 1869, 1; Canadian Illustrated News, ii, 1 Oct. 1870, 213-14, illus. & descrip.)
CRAIG STREET, at St. Francois Xavier Street, stone and brick warehouse for Hugh Allen, with cast iron structure in basement, ground floor, and 1st floor, 1869 (ANQM, J.S. Hunter, Notaire, 13 March 1869, No. 14742 and No. 14746)
WESLEYAN MISSION CHURCH, Seigneurs Street near St. Joseph Street, 1869-70 (Montreal Herald, 20 Sept. 1869, 2, descrip.)

CYRUS P. THOMAS, Chicago

BOOKSELLER’S ROW, State Street, between Washington Street at Madison Street, 1871 (Chicago Daily Tribune, 9 Jan. 1876, 5; 30 Jan. 1876, 5, list of works by C.P. Thomas)
MACKIN BLOCK, State Street, north of Madison Street, begun early 1871 and finished before the Great Fire of Oct. 1871 (Chicago Daily Tribune, 30 Jan. 1876, 5, list of works by C.P. Thomas)

WHEELOCK & THOMAS, Chicago

(works in Chicago unless noted)

GILES BROS. & CO JEWELLERS, east side of Wabash Avenue, a 5 storey retail store, 1872 (Daily Inter-Ocean [Chicago], 1 June 1872, 2, descrip.)
WASHINGTON STREET, north side, between Wabash Avenue and State Street, a 4 storey wholesale store for A.C. Badger, 1872 (Daily Inter-Ocean [Chicago], 1 June 1872, 2, descrip.)
GILBERT & SAMPSON FURNITURE CO., west side of Wabash Avenue near Van Buren Street, a 4 storey retail store for Rev. Dr. William A. Ryder, 1872 (Daily Inter-Ocean [Chicago], 1 June 1872, 2, descrip.)
UNION BANK BUILDING, southwest corner of North LaSalle Street at West Washington Street, '....in the modern Italian style", 1872-73; demol. 1893 (Daily Inter-Ocean [Chicago], 1 June 1872, 2, descrip.; 15 June 1872, 2, descrip.; Chicago Tribune, 9 Oct. 1872, p. 9, col. 2, descrip.; F. A. Randall, History of Chicago Buildings, 1949, 76)
DEARBORN STREET, east side, near Madison Street, a five storey office building with retail store for an unnamed client, faced with Bowling Green stone, 1872 (Daily Inter-Ocean [Chicago], 1 June 1872, 2, descrip.)
RANDOLPH STREET, north side, between La Salle Street and Wells Street, two stores for the Trustees of the Home for the Friendless, each 5 storeys, with Levi marble façade, 1872 (Daily Inter-Ocean [Chicago], 1 June 1872, 2, descrip.)
RANDOLPH STREET, north side, between Dearborn Street at State Street, a 4 storey retail store for H.C. Prindell, of Louisville, Ken., faced in Joliet stone, 1872 (Daily Inter-Ocean [Chicago], 1 June 1872, 2, descrip.)
FRANKLIN STREET, near Wells Street, a 4 storey wholesale block for J. Woodbridge, 1872 (Daily Inter-Ocean [Chicago], 1 June 1872, 2, descrip.)
WHEELER & WILSON SEWING MACHINE CO., east side of State Street, near the corner of Monroe Street, “…adjoining the new Rawson Building”, a five storey block faced with Buena Vista stone, 1872 (Daily Inter-Ocean [Chicago], 1 June 1872, 2, descrip.)
MERCHANTS INSURANCE BUILDING, corner of North Lasalle Street at West Washington Street, a large 5 storey commercial block, 1872-73 (Daily Inter-Ocean [Chicago], 15 June 1872, 2, descrip.; American Builder, July 1872, 10)
LAKE STREET, at Clark Street, on the northwest corner, a four 4 storey block with three stores on the ground floor, and offices above, for Mrs. Belle S. Shreeve, faced in Amherst stone, 1872 (Daily Inter-Ocean [Chicago], 3 Aug. 1872, 4, descrip.)
SOUTH PARK AVENUE, near 24th Street, two tenement buildings, each 3 storeys, for C.R. Crilley and Sidney Smith, 1872 (Daily Inter-Ocean [Chicago], 14 Sept. 1872, 4, descrip.)
WASHINGTON SQUARE, a three storey block for B.D. McGruder, facing the Square, 1872 (Daily Inter-Ocean [Chicago], 14 Sept. 1872, 4, descrip.)
ST. PAUL’S UNIVERSALIST CHURCH, Michigan Avenue, between 17th and 18th Street, 1872-75 (Daily Inter-Ocean [Chicago], 14 Sept. 1872, 4, descrip.; Chicago Daily Tribune, 30 April 1873, 5, descrip.; 1 March 1875, 2, descrip.)
DORE BUILDING, North State Street at West Madison Street, 1872 (Chicago Daily Tribune, 9 Jan. 1876, 5; 30 Jan. 1876, 5, list of works by C.P. Thomas)
HONORE BUILDING [also called The Real Estate Exchange], and the HONORE BLOCK, two separate blocks located side-by-side, for Henry H. Honore, 1872; South Dearborn Street at West Monroe Street, 1872; burned Jan. 1879 and rebuilt 1879-80; all demol. 1911 (Chicago Daily Tribune, 9 Oct. 1872, p. 9 col. 1, descrip.; 5 Jan. 1879, 2, descrip.; F.A. Randall, History of Chicago Buildings, 1949, 66)
McVICKER’S THEATRE, Madison Street, 1872 (Chicago Daily Tribune, 11 Aug. 1872, 5, descrip.; F.A. Randall, History of Chicago Buildings, 1949, 47)
WABASH AVENUE, a 4 storey retail store for Dr. Ryder, to be built “adjoining the church”, 1872 (Chicago Daily Tribune, 25 Feb. 1872, 3)
REED BLOCK, North Wabash Avenue at East Lake Street, 1872 (F.A. Randall, History of Chicago Buildings, 1949, 68)
HENNING & SPEED BLOCK, Dearborn Street, c. 1873 (Chicago Daily Tribune, 30 Jan. 1876, 5, list of works by C.P. Thomas)
MICHIGAN AVENUE at 18th Street, residence for Enos Ayers, c. 1873 (Chicago Daily Tribune, 9 Jan. 1876, 5; 30 Jan. 1876, 5, list of works by C.P. Thomas)
DREXEL BOULEVARD, in Hyde Park, residence for James Stinson, c. 1873 (Chicago Daily Tribune, 9 Jan. 1876, 5; 30 Jan. 1876, 5, list of works by C.P. Thomas)
ELLIS PARK, residence for George W. Hoffman, c. 1873 (Chicago Daily Tribune, 30 Jan. 1876, 5, list of works by C.P. Thomas)
COLLONADE BUILDING, North State Street, 1873 (F. A. Randall, History of Chicago Buildings, 1949, 83)
BRYANT BUILDING (also called The Delaware Building), North Dearborn Street at West Randolph Street, 1874 (F.A. Randall, History of Chicago Buildings, 1949, 84; Process: Architecture [Tokyo], No. 35 - The Chicago School of Architecture, 1983, 41, illus.; J. Zukowsky, Chicago Architecture 1872-1922 Birth of a Metropolis, 1987, 431, illus.; A.I.A. Guide to Chicago, 1993, 70, descrip.)
MACKIN HOUSE HOTEL, North Clark Street at Michigan Avenue, 1874; burned 1948 (Chicago Daily Tribune, 9 Jan. 1876, 5; 30 Jan. 1876, 5, list of works by C.P. Thomas)
McKINNEY, TEXAS, The Collin County Court House, 1874 (Chicago Daily Tribune, 2 March 1874, 8, descrip.)
WATERLOO, IOWA, a three storey brick public school, 1874 (Chicago Daily Tribune, 3 Sept. 1874, 1, t.c.)
JOHNSON PLACE, row of five houses for J.C. McCord, 1874 (Daily Inter-Ocean [Chicago], 26 Oct. 1874, 6)
VINCENNES AVENUE, row of five houses for J.C. McCord, 1874 (Daily Inter-Ocean [Chicago], 26 Oct. 1874, 6)
STATE STREET, at Hubbard Court, a 4 storey commercial block for M. Corigan, 1874-75 (Chicago Daily Tribune, 1 Nov. 1874, 12)
HASKELL BUILDING, South Wabash Avenue near East Monroe Street, 1875; façade later remodelled by Louis Sullivan in 1896 (A.I.A. Guide to Chicago, 1993, 49; inf. Chicago Landmarks Commission)
BARKER BUILDING, South Wabash Avenue near East Monroe Street, 1875 (A.I.A. Guide to Chicago, 1993, 49; inf. Chicago Landmarks Commission)
PHILADELPHIA, PENN., The Illinois State Pavilion at the Centennial Exposition in Fairmont Park, 1876 (Chicago Daily Tribune, 14 Jan. 1876, 8; 16 Jan. 1876, 5)

COMPETITIONS by Wheelock & Thomas

CHICAGO COURT HOUSE, 1873. Designs were sent in from 49 American architects for this major public commission, and Wheelock & Thomas were among 18 entrants who were named as a semi-finalist. Their design, submitted under the pseudonym "Urbs in Horto", was described as "....a series of very handsome drawings in the Italian style" (Chicago Daily Tribune, 3 April 1873, 4, descrip.; 4 April 1873, 3, descrip.). From this group, 6 semi-finalists were selected, including Wheelock & Thomas (Chicago Daily Tribune, 5 June 1873, 2). A description and critique of their entry appeared in the Daily Inter-Ocean [Chicago], 23 April 1873, p. 4, col. 6; and in the Chicago Daily Tribune, 16 May 1873, 3, but the competition was later won by Thomas Tilley of Chicago.

CYRUS P. THOMAS , Chicago, Jan. 1876 to May 1884

(works in Chicago unless noted)

HARRISON STREET, block of French flats for Murray F. Tuley, 1876 (Chicago Daily Tribune, 30 Jan. 1876, 5, list of works by C.P. Thomas)
WABASH AVENUE, south of Van Buren Street, block of French flats for Rufus S. King, 1876 (Chicago Daily Tribune, 30 Jan. 1876, 5, list of works by C.P. Thomas)
WASHINGTON PLACE, residence for Benjamin D. Magruder, 1876 (Chicago Daily Tribune, 30 Jan. 1876, 5, list of works by C.P. Thomas)
PAVILION PARKWAY, summer residence for Mr. Gaylord, 1876 (Chicago Daily Tribune, 30 Jan. 1876, 5, list of works by C.P. Thomas)
NORTH AVENUE, between North Dearborn Street and Clark Street, a block of French flats (or apartments), for T.C. Clark of Philadelphia, 1877 (Chicago Daily Tribune, 17 June 1877, 6, descrip.)
CHICAGO ATHENAEUM & RETAIL BLOCK, South Dearborn Street “…south of the Dickey Building”, for McLaren & Wells, 1877 (Chicago Daily Tribune, 17 June 1877, 6, descrip.; 30 Sept. 1877, 6, descrip.)
DEARBORN AVENUE, north of Schiller Street, residence for T.B. Campbell, 1878 (Chicago Daily Tribune, 24 Feb. 1878, 13)
DEARBORN STREET, a five storey commercial block for B.R. Chambers, “just north of the Chicago Journal office”, with upper floors to be rented to Blakely & Brown, 1878 (Chicago Daily Tribune, 24 Feb. 1878, 13)
THIRD AVENUE, at Taylor Street, block of flats for L.B. Brasher of Cincinnati, 1878 (Chicago Daily Tribune, 19 May 1878, 6)
MICHIGAN AVENUE, at Harrison Street, a four storey commercial block with hotel at the corner, for Hon. Daniel Wells of Milwaukee, 1878-79 (Chicago Daily Tribune, 19 May 1878, 6, descrip.; 6 April 1879, 16, descrip.)
BALSTED STREET, near 16th Street, block of stores for A.T. Galt, 1879 (Chicago Daily Tribune, 25 May 1879, 16)
INDIANA AVENUE, near 18th Street, a mansion for Isaac G. Lombard, 1879 (Chicago Daily Tribune, 25 May 1879, 16; 12 Oct. 1879, 16, descrip.)
MICHIGAN CITY, INDIANA, a Gothic entrance for a cemetery in Michigan City, erected as the expense of Mrs. W.H. Barker of Chicago, 1879 (Chicago Daily Tribune, 12 Oct. 1879, 16)
ONTARIO STREET, near St. Clair Street, residence for W.H. Dillingham of Louisville, 1879 (Chicago Daily Tribune, 12 Oct. 1879, 16, descrip.)
WABASH AVENUE, near 15th Street, stores and flats for W.H. Dillingham of Louisville, 1879 (Chicago Daily Tribune, 12 Oct. 1879, 16, descrip.)
HALSTED STREET, near 16th Street, stores and flats for A.T. Galt, 1879 (Chicago Daily Tribune, 12 Oct. 1879, 16, descrip.)
FARWELL HOUSE HOTEL, Halsted Street at Jackson Street, northeast corner, for Hon. C.B. Farwell, major additions, 1879 (Chicago Daily Tribune, 12 Oct. 1879, 16, descrip.)
HALSTED STREET, stores and flats for John McGuane, 1879 Chicago Daily Tribune, 12 Oct. 1879, 16, descrip.)
WABASH AVENUE, near 14th Street, a three storey block for William H. Keogh, 1880 (Chicago Daily Tribune, 1880 (Chicago Daily Tribune, 27 June 1880, 16)
WABASH AVENUE, south of Harrison Street, two commercial blocks, each 3 storeys, one for Byron L. Smith, and the other for Dr. Judson, 1880 (Chicago Daily Tribune, 13 June 1880, 16, descrip. but lacking attribution; 20 June 1880, 11, includes attribution)
WABASH AVENUE, “adjoining Dr. Judson’s block” [see above item], a 4 storey block with store and flats above, for J.C. Dore, 1880 (Chicago Daily Tribune, 18 July 1880, 16)
IRWIN BLOCK, Harrison Street at Wabash Avenue, a five storey block for D.W. Irwin, to be leased to C.P. Kimball & Co., Carriage Builders, 1880-81 (Chicago Daily Tribune, 19 Sept. 1880, 10; 17 Oct. 1880, 10, descrip.; 13 Feb. 1881, 9; 24 April 1881, 18)
LAKE STREET, near Franklin Street, store and flats for E.S. Dreyer & Co., 1881 (Chicago Daily Tribune, 13 Feb. 1881, 9)
CHICAGO AVENUE, residence for John Winer of Hamilton, Ontario, 1881 (Chicago Daily Tribune, 13 Feb. 1881, 9)
ELM STREET, at North Church Street, two large blocks of French flats for Hugh T. Birch, 1881 (Chicago Daily Tribune, 13 Feb. 1881, 9, descrip.)
ELLIS PARK, block for flats, 4 storeys, for Mrs. Herald, 1881 (Chicago Daily Tribune, 13 Feb. 1881, 9; 24 April 1881, 18)
HALSTED STREET, near Taylor Street, block of four stores with flats for James Todd of Louisville, Ky., 1881 (Chicago Daily Tribune, 24 April 1881, 18, descrip.)
ELM STREET, near Clark Street, a 3 storey block of stores for an unnamed client, 1881 (Chicago Daily Tribune, 24 April 1881, 18, descrip.)
NORTH CLARK STREET, at Elm street, northeast corner, large block for stores with flats, 1881 (Chicago Daily Tribune, 24 April 1881, 18, descrip.)
ELLIS PARK, 3 storey flats for Jesse T. Green, 1882 (Chicago Daily Tribune, 24 September 1882, 20, descrip.)
ELLIS PARK, 3 storey flats for G.W. Hoffman, 1882 (Chicago Daily Tribune, 24 September 1882, 20, descrip.)
HAMILTON AVENUE, 3 storey flats for L. Sammons, 1882 (Chicago Daily Tribune, 24 September 1882, 20, descrip.)
CENTRE AVENUE, 3 storey flats for Dr. I. McCarthy, 1882 (Chicago Daily Tribune, 24 September 1882, 20, descrip.)
LA SALLE AVENUE, at Division Street, northeast corner, residence for F.G. Springer, 1882 (Chicago Daily Tribune, 24 September 1882, 20, descrip.)
ASTOR STREET, at Scott Street, southwest corner, flats for Mr. Ferris, 1882 (Chicago Daily Tribune, 24 September 1882, 20, descrip.; 18 March 1883, 19)
KENWOOD, residence for L.A. Atkinson, 1882 (Chicago Daily Tribune, 24 September 1882, 20, descrip.)
LA SALLE AVENUE, north of Schiller Street, a row of four houses for Charles Sheer, each 4 storeys high, 1882 (Chicago Daily Tribune, 29 Oct. 1882, 18)
NORTH CLARK STREET, at Chestnut Street, northeast corner, 4 storey block of stores and flats for Hugh T.Birch, 1883 (Chicago Daily Tribune, 18 March 1883, 19, descrip.; 19 Aug. 1883, 16, descrip.)
NORTH CLARK STREET, near Division Street, block of stores and flats for H. Tifft, 1883 (Chicago Daily Tribune, 18 March 1883, 19, descrip.)
COTTAGE GROVE AVENUE, near 37th Street, block for G.W. Hoffman, 1883 (Chicago Daily Tribune, 18 March 1883, 19, descrip.)
NORTH CLARK STREET, opposite the entrance to Lincoln Park, block for flats for Mrs. Edwin Wright, 1883 (Chicago Daily Tribune, 18 March 1883, 19, descrip.; 19 Aug. 1883, 16, descrip.)
ASTOR STREET, near Scott Street, a two storey residence for J.W. Kimball, 1883 (Chicago Daily Tribune, 18 March 1883, 19, descrip.; 19 Aug. 1883, 16, descrip.)
ASTOR STREET, adjoining the block listed above, a residence for Mr. Haynes, 1883 (Chicago Daily Tribune, 18 March 1883, 19, descrip.)
THE ALBANY HOTEL, southwest corner of Clark Street at Indiana Street, a complete remodelling of the building, with addition of two storeys, for James H. Gamble, 1883 (Chicago Daily Tribune, 18 March 1883, 19, descrip.; 22 April 1883, 14, descrip.; A.I.A. Guide to Chicago, 1993, 132)
NORTH CLARK STREET, near Maple Street, a 4 storey block of six stores with flats for H. Tifft, 1883 (Chicago Daily Tribune, 19 Aug. 1883, 16, descrip.)
NORTH CLARK STREET, a block for two 4-storey stores for F.E. Spencer “…adjoing the Tifft Block”, 1883 (Chicago Daily Tribune, 19 Aug. 1883, 16, descrip.)
NORTH CLARK STREET, south of Sohilier Street, block of 3 storey flats for A.T. Cook, 1883 (Chicago Daily Tribune, 19 Aug. 1883, 16, descrip.)
STATE STREET, at 33rd Street, a 3 storey block of stores and flats for Herbert Cassard, 1883 (Chicago Daily Tribune, 19 Aug. 1883, 16, descrip.)
43RD STREET, row of nine 2- storey houses, near the Illinois Central Depot, for an unnamed client, 1883 (Chicago Daily Tribune, 19 Aug. 1883, 16, descrip.)
CENTRE AVENUE, near Taylor Street, a row of four 2-storey houses for an unnamed client, 1883 (Chicago Daily Tribune, 19 Aug. 1883, 16, descrip.)

COMPETITIONS by Cyrus P. Thomas

CHICAGO BOARD OF TRADE, Jackson Street, 1881. Cyrus P. Thomas was one of six Chicago architects invited to submit a design for this important landmark. His competitors included leading firms such as Burnham & Root and W.W. Boyington. A description of the design by Thomas appeared in the Chicago Daily Tribune, 5 Dec. 1881, 6. The competition was won by Boyington.

THOMAS & RODGER, Chicago, June 1884 to 1887 (with John Rodger)

(works in Chicago unless noted)

LANE PLACE, a 3 storey residence at No. 15 Lane Place for W.D. Avery 1884 (Chicago Daily Tribune, 6 July 1884, 15, descrip.)
LINCOLN AVENUE, a 3 storey residence at No. 205 Lincoln Avenue for F. Berry, 1884 (Chicago Daily Tribune, 6 July 1884, 15, descrip.)
LA SALLE AVENUE, near Chestnut Street, a pair of 3 storey houses for Charles Gee, 1884 (Chicago Daily Tribune, 6 July 1884, 15, descrip.)
DEARBORN AVENUE, at the rear of 242 Dearborn, a large 2 storey barn for A.T. Marble, 1884 (Chicago Daily Tribune, 6 July 1884, 15, descrip.)
NORTH STATE STREET, near Schiller Street, a 3 storey residence for W. Watriss, 1884 (Chicago Daily Tribune, 6 July 1884, 15, descrip.)
STATE STREET, near 35th Street, a 3 storey block of stores and flats for W. Viall, 1884 (Chicago Daily Tribune, 6 July 1884, 15, descrip.)
STATE STREET, near 33rd Street, a 3 storey block of stores and flats for Mr. Beck, 1884 (Chicago Daily Tribune, 6 July 1884, 15, descrip.)
NORTH STATE STREET, near Indiana Street, block of flats for G.W. Hoffman, 1884 (Chicago Daily Tribune, 6 July 1884, 15, descrip.)
STERLING, ILL., Presbyterian Church, 1884 (Chicago Daily Tribune, 6 July 1884, 15, descrip.)
HALSTED STREET, at Depuyster Street, a 3 storey block of flats for I. Franks, 1884 (Chicago Daily Tribune, 10 Aug. 1884, 14, descrip.)
STATE STREET, at 34th Street, a 3 storey block of flats for M. White & Co., 1884 (Chicago Daily Tribune, 10 Aug. 1884, 14, descrip.)
COTTAGE GROVE AVENUE, near 37th Street, a 3 storey block of seven stores and flats for G.W. Hoffman, 1884 (Chicago Daily Tribune, 10 Aug. 1884, 14, descrip.; 7 Sept. 1884, 17)
STATE STREET, near 37th Street, a 3 storey block of stores and flats for James Viles Jr. of Underwood & Co., 1884 (Chicago Daily Tribune, 21 Sept. 1884, 24, descrip.)
ONTARIO STREET, at Pine Street, northeast corner, a large apartment block for an unnamed client, 1884 (Chicago Daily Tribune, 21 Sept. 1884, 24, descrip.)
PRAIRIE AVENUE, near 32nd Street, a three storey block for flats for Mr. Harmon, 1884 (Chicago Daily Tribune, 21 Sept. 1884, 24, descrip.)
WEST CONGRESS STREET, residence for John Gillespie, 1884 (Chicago Daily Tribune, 19 Oct. 1884, 23)
COTTAGE GROVE AVENUE, a three storey block of stores and flats for J.W. Stewart, 1884 (Chicago Daily Tribune, 19 Oct. 1884, 23)
PINE STREET, row of four houses for S.H. Avers, 1884 (Chicago Daily Tribune, 12 Oct. 1884, 24)
COTTAGE GROVE AVENUE, near 37th Street, block of 4 storey stores and flats for Charles E. Brown, 1885-86 (Chicago Daily Tribune, 11 Oct. 1885, 28)
STATE STREET, at 34th Street, apartment block for Daniel O’Connell, 1884 (Daily Inter-Ocean [Chicago], 18 Oct. 1884, 9)
COTTAGE GROVE AVENUE, at 41st Street, southwest corner, a block of six stores with flats for Charles E. Brown & J.L. McKeever, 1885-86 (Chicago Daily Tribune, 29 Nov. 1885, 28, descrip.)
COTTAGE GROVE AVENUE, near 36th Street, a block of six stores with flats, for Charles E. Brown, 1885-86 (Chicago Daily Tribune, 29 Nov. 1885, 28, descrip.)
WEST HARRISON STREET, at Idaho Street, a block of 3 stores with flats, and with a private hotel, for Charles E. Brown, 1885-86 (Chicago Daily Tribune, 11 Oct. 1885, 28; 29 Nov. 1885, 28, descrip.)
VAN BUREN STREET, block of stores and flats for J.W. Pyot, 1887 (Daily Inter-Ocean [Chicago], 15 May 1887, 18)

CYRUS P. THOMAS, Chicago, 1888

(no references to projects during this period have been found)

THOMAS & RAPP, Chicago, January 1889 to 1895 (with Cornelius W. Rapp)

(works in Chicago unless noted)

SIOUX FALLS, SOUTH DAKOTA, a large theatre and offices for Senator R.F. Pettigrew, 1889-90 (Chicago Daily Tribune, 10 Nov. 1889, 11, descrip.)
ELLIS AVENUE, row of three dwellings for Mrs. Caroline Cook, 1891 (Daily Inter-Ocean [Chicago], 7 June 1891, 10)
VINCENNES ROAD, at 74th Street, block of stores and flats for Degner Brothers, 1891 (Daily Inter-Ocean [Chicago], 7 June 1891, 10)
DREXEL BOOULEVARD, near 48th Street, residence for George D. Holton, 1891-92 (Inland Architect [Chicago], xx, Aug. 1892, 10, illus.)
STANTON AVENUE, near 39th Street, a 4 storey apartment block for M. Wachsmuth, 1891 (Daily Inter-Ocean [Chicago], 13 Sept. 1891, 10, descrip.)
SHIELDS AVENUE, at Stewart Avenue, two factory buildings for George Enger, 1891 (Daily Inter-Ocean [Chicago], 13 Sept. 1891, 10)
ASTOR STREET, near Burton Place, mansion for Otto W. Meysenburg, 1891-92 (Chicago Daily Tribune, 4 Oct. 1891, 28, descrip.; 11 Oct. 1891, 29, descrip.; 3 April 1892, 31, descrip.; Inland Architect [Chicago], xxiv, Jan. 1895, 62 and plate illus.)
CALUMET AVENUE, near 35th Street, two large residences for Mrs. Long, and for Mrs. Clark, 1891 (Chicago Daily Tribune, 4 Oct. 1891, 26, descrip.)
20th STREET, near Indiana Avenue, residence for Dr. Charles W. Purdy, 1891-92 (Daily Inter-Ocean [Chicago], 13 Sept. 1891, 10, descrip.; Chicago Daily Tribune, 4 Oct. 1891, 26, descrip.; 3 April 1892, 31)
BEDFORD APARTMENTS, Stanton Avenue near 39th Street, for H.F. Wachsmuth, 1891 (Chicago Daily Tribune, 4 Oct. 1891, 26, descrip.)
LAKE AVENUE, east side, between 45th and 46th Street, row of 3 residences for Dr. Almon Brooks, 1892 (Chicago Daily Tribune, 3 April 1892, 31, descrip.; Daily Inter-Ocean [Chicago], 15 May 1892, 10, descrip.)
WABASH AVENUE, at 20th Street, a 4 storey block of stores and flats at the northwest corner for the Wilkins Estate, 1892 (Chicago Daily Tribune, 3 April 1892, 31, descrip.; Daily Inter-Ocean [Chicago], 15 May 1892, 10)
20th STREET, near Prairie Avenue, residence for John M. Clark, 1892 (Chicago Daily Tribune, 3 April 1892, 31, descrip.)
47th STREET, near Evans Avenue, block of stores and flats for F.F. Stevens, 1892 (Chicago Daily Tribune, 3 April 1892, 31, descrip.; Daily Inter-Ocean [Chicago], 15 May 1892, 10)
STATE STREET, near 20th Street, block for stores and flats for the McKey Estate, 1892 (Chicago Daily Tribune, 3 April 1892, 31, descrip.; Daily Inter-Ocean [Chicago], 15 May 1892, 10, descrip.)
47th STREET, a 4 storey block of stores and flats for Judge Tuthill, 1892 (Chicago Daily Tribune, 3 April 1892, 31, descrip.)
LAKE AVENUE, near 38th Street, a 4 storey apartment block for L.L. Smith, 1892 (Daily Inter-Ocean [Chicago], 24 July 1892, 10)
GRAND BOULEVARD, at 41st Street, a four storey apartment block at the northeast corner for W.D. McKey, 1892-93 (Chicago Daily Tribune, 20 Nov. 1892, 30, descrip.)
COTTAGE GROVE AVENUE, at 41st Street, block of three store and flats for L.D. Caresewell, 1892-93 (Chicago Daily Tribune, 20 Nov. 1892, 30, descrip.)
43rd STREET, near Prairie Avenue, two stores and flats for Howard & Shearer, 1892-93 (Chicago Daily Tribune, 20 Nov. 1892, 30, descrip.)
SHERIDAN AVENUE, at 62nd Street, apartment block for an unnamed client, 1892-93 (Chicago Daily Tribune, 20 Nov. 1892, 30, descrip.)
OAK PARK, a Public School at Washington Boulevard and Prairie Avenue, 1893 (Daily Inter-Ocean [Chicago], 28 May 1893, 27, descrip.)
OAK PARK, a Public School, corner of Jackson Boulevard at Highland Boulevard, 1894 (Daily Inter-Ocean [Chicago], 19 Aug. 1894, 16, descrip.)
41st STREET, at Cottage Grove Avenue, northeast corner, a five storey apartment block for an unnamed client, 1894 (Daily Inter-Ocean [Chicago], 19 Aug. 1894, 16, descrip.)
OAKLAND MUSIC HALL, Cottage Grove Avenue at 40th Street, 1894-95 (Chicago Daily Tribune, 9 Dec. 1894, 31, illus. & descrip.)
SOUTH EVANSTON, ILL., The Benson Avenue Public School, Benson Avenue at Main Street, 1895 (Chicago Daily Tribune, 6 Jan. 1895, 14, illus. & descrip.)
ENGLEWOOD, ILL., The Thornton Hall Block, 69th Street at Wright Street, for Charles S. Thornton, 1895 (Chicago Daily Tribune, 24 Feb. 1895, 31, descrip.; 17 March 1895, 12, illus. & descrip.)
COTTAGE GROVE AVENUE, at Graves Place, remodelling of a block for G.W. Hale, 1895 (Chicago Daily Tribune, 24 Feb. 1895, 31, illus. & descrip.)
WESTERN AVENUE, near Division Street, block of flats for S. Munson, 1895 (Chicago Daily Tribune, 24 Feb. 1895, 31, illus. & descrip.)

CYRUS P. THOMAS, Chicago 1896-97

(no references to projects by C.P. Thomas during this period have been found)

CYRUS P. THOMAS, Toronto

TORONTO, ONT., St. George Apartments, Harbord Street at St. George Street, 1899; demol. c. 1960 (Architecture Eighteen Club Exhibit Catalogue, 1902, 106, illus.; dwgs. at Trinity College Archives, Univ. of Toronto)