Burritt, Clarence James

Error message

Deprecated function: The each() function is deprecated. This message will be suppressed on further calls in menu_set_active_trail() (line 2405 of /home2/builhil9/public_html/bdac/includes/menu.inc).

BURRITT, Clarence James (1874-1956) was born in Peterborough, Ont. on 16 August 1874, the son of Dr. H.C. Burritt and Harriet Rogers. He was a direct descendant of Daniel Burritt, a United Empire Loyalist who settled in Canada in 1785 and whose name is perpetuated in Burritt's Rapids, Ont. His family moved to Toronto after 1880 and Clarence was educated at the Toronto Church School for Boys and later attended classes at the School of Practical Science at the Univ. of Toronto in 1892. He articled with the firm of Strickland & Symons (in 1892-96) and worked as draftsman for George W. Gouinlock (in 1896-98). In February 1898 he moved to Ottawa and formed a partnership with Charles P. Band and Colborne P. Meredith who he had met in Toronto (see list of works under Band, Burritt & Meredith). Burritt was active with this firm until 1904 when it was renamed The Architectural & Engineering Co. , and after the dissolution of the firm in 1906 he opened his own office and practised alone until 1923. He then formed a partnership with J.L. Kingston (1923-24), with A.J. Hazelgrove (1925-27), and later with Allan Horwood in 1935-36. He was active in Ottawa military life, rising to the rank of Lieut. Colonel with the Princess Louise Dragoon Guards and volunteered for service as a civilian in government engineering services in 1939. Burritt retired in 1944 and died in Ottawa on 31 January 1956 (obituary in the Ottawa Journal, 1 Feb. 1956, 2; Ottawa Citizen, 1 Feb. 1956, 7; R.A.I.C. Journal, xxxiii, May 1956, 193; biog. in R. Hamilton, Prominent Men of Canada, 1931-32, 179-80). A photographic portrait of Burritt was published in the Daily Commercial News [Toronto], 10 Dec. 1936, 1.

C.J. BURRITT

OTTAWA, ONT., Rideau Skating Arena, Laurier Avenue East at Waller Street, 1907 (Ottawa Journal, 11 April 1907, 2, descrip.; 17 July 1907, 1)
NORTH MONTAGUE, ONT., Christ Church (Anglican), 1907 (Canadian Churchman [Toronto], 18 July 1907, 492)
OTTAWA, ONT., All Saints Anglican Church, major addition, and new Rectory for the church, 1909 (Ottawa Journal, 13 April 1909, 8)
OTTAWA, ONT., residence for Hugh Fleming, Besserer Street, 1910 (C.R., xxiv, 27 July 1910, 25)
CARLETON PLACE, ONT., residence for David Findley, 1910 (C.R., xxiv, 10 Aug. 1910, 29)
CARLETON PLACE, ONT., residence for John McDonald, 1910 (C.R., xxiv, 24 Aug. 1910, 25)
CARLETON PLACE, ONT., Masonic Hall, 1910 (C.R., xxiv, 7 Sept. 1910, 26)
OTTAWA, ONT., residence for Capt. Charles Ogilvie, Sussex Drive near Green Island, 1911 (C.R., xxv, 31 May 1911, 66)
CARLETON PLACE, ONT., Skating Arena, 1911 (C.R., xxv, 27 Sept. 1911, 59, t.c.)
OTTAWA, ONT., apartments for Aylesworth E. Shaver, 1911 (C.R., xxv, 29 Nov. 1911, 59)
OTTAWA, ONT., Federal Hotel, Sussex Street near Central Station, 1911-12 (Ottawa Journal, 25 May 1912, 19, illus. & descrip.)
OTTAWA, ONT., major addition to Howick Hall, at the Exhibition Grounds, 1912 (Ottawa Journal, 27 June 1912, 14, t.c.)
OTTAWA, ONT., Woodroffe Public School, Woodroffe Avenue near Carling Avenue, West Ottawa, 1912-13 (Ottawa Journal, 27 Dec. 1912, 1)
OTTAWA, ONT., Home for Friendless Women, Turner Street near Gladstone Avenue, 1913 (Ottawa Journal, 5 Feb. 1913, 2; 30 Oct. 1913, 2)
OTTAWA, ONT., major addition to the Maternity Hospital, 1913-14 (Ottawa Journal, 8 Nov. 1913, 9, descrip.)
OTTAWA, ONT., St. Paul's Methodist Church, Lyon Street South at Second Avenue, begun in 1914; completed by Burritt & Kingston in 1923-24 (Ottawa Journal, 22 April 1914, 4; 16 Jan. 1924, 1, illus.; 19 Jan. 1924, 22, descrip. & illus.; Ottawa: A Guide to Heritage Structures, 2000,179, illus.; Andrew Waldron, Exploring the Capital: An Architectural Guide to the Ottawa-Gatineau Region, 2017, 98-99, illus. & descrip.)
OTTAWA, ONT., Bible House, for the Ottawa Bible Society, Lisgar Street, 1922 (Ottawa Journal, 12 April 1922, 4)

BURRITT & KINGSTON

OTTAWA, ONT., residence for John R. Booth Jr., Range Road, 1923 (C.R., xxxvii, 18 July 1923, 56; C.H.G., iv, Feb. 1927, 27, illus.)
OTTAWA, ONT., Protestant Orphans Home, Carling Avenue, 1924-25 (C.R., xxxviii, 2 April 1924, 55; Ottawa Journal, 16 Jan. 1925, 1, descrip.)

BURRITT & HAZELGROVE

(with Cecil Burgess) OTTAWA, ONT., Howick Hall (later called The Coliseum), on the Exhibition Grounds, Lansdowne Park, Bank Street at Holmwood Avenue, 1926 (Ottawa Journal, 9 March 1926, 14, descrip.; 13 April 1926, 3, descrip.; dwgs. City of Ottawa Archives; dwgs. NAC, Lithwick Coll.; inf. Jean-Claude Dube, Ottawa)
BADMINTON CLUB, Slater Street near Elgin Street, 1926 (Ottawa Journal, 14 May 1926, 17)
HULL, QUE., 'Longfields', the residence for J. Franklin Kidd, Aylmer Road, 1927 (C.H.G., iv, Nov. 1927, 30, illus.)
OTTAWA, ONT., residence for Dr. Norman M. Guiou, The Driveway at Bank Street, 1927 (Saturday Night [Toronto], 24 Dec. 1927, 27, illus.)

C.J. BURRITT

OTTAWA, ONT., residence for Walter H. Millen, Coltrin Road, between Manor Avenue and Minto Place, in Rockcliffe Park, 1929-30 (Ottawa Journal, 11 April 1929, 3, descrip.; C.H.G., xiv, June-July 1936, 37, illus.)
OTTAWA, ONT., medical clinic for the May Court Club Dispensary, for Dr. D.A. Carmichael, Besserer Street between Chapel Street and Friel Street, 1929 (Ottawa Journal, 30 Sept. 1929, 16, descrip.)
OTTAWA, ONT., residence for Hon. Charles A. Dunning, Range Road, 1931 (C.H.G., viii, July 1931, 35, illus.)
OTTAWA, ONT., clubhouse for the Rideau Aquatic Club, Prescott Road, 1932 (C.R., xlvi, 8 June 1932, 44)
OTTAWA, ONT., Bate Memorial Hall, a Sunday School and parish hall for All Saints Anglican Church, Blackburn Avenue at Laurier Avenue, 1932-34 (Ottawa Journal, 3 Feb. 1931, 3; Ottawa Journal, 22 Jan. 1934, 7, descrip.; 2 Nov. 1934, 16, illus. & descrip.; C.R., xlvi, 27 Jan. 1932, 47, t.c.; C.H. Little, All Saints Church Ottawa: A Short History 1898-1975, 17)

BURRITT & HORWOOD

OTTAWA, ONT., R.C.M.P. Headquarters Building, Wellington Street, adjacent to the Confederation Building, 1935 (Ottawa Journal, 4 Feb. 1935, 20)
OTTAWA, ONT., residence for Clyde B. Blackburn, Geneva Street, 1937 (C.H.G., xiv, Sept. 1937, 38, illus.)
OTTAWA, ONT., residence for Allison E. Flood, Roxborough Avenue, Rockcliffe Park, 1936-37 (Ottawa Journal, 2 Nov. 1936, 21; C.H.G., xiv, Oct. 1937, 37, illus.)
OTTAWA, ONT., The General Electric Demonstration Home, near Tudor Place at River Road Driveway, Kingsview Park, 1936 (Ottawa Journal, 2 Nov. 1936, 15, illus. & descrip.)

C.J. BURRITT

OTTAWA, ONT., residence for A.H. Miller, Fourth Avenue, near Bronson Avenue, 1938 (Ottawa Journal, 11 Jan. 1938, 12)