Green, Edward Brodhead

GREEN, Edward Brodhead (1855-1950) and his partner William S. Wicks (1854-1919) were prominent architects of Buffalo, N.Y. who executed several refined Beaux-Arts designs for buildings owned by the Ontario Power Company at Niagara Falls, Ontario. Green was born at Utica, N.Y. on 10 May 1855 and graduated from Cornell University in 1878. He moved to Buffalo and formed a partnership with W.S. Wicks in 1884. During the next thirty-five years their firm dominated the profession in western New York State and the Niagara Peninsula, preparing designs for many neoclassical landmarks on both sides of the border. In Buffalo their best work includes the Market Arcade Building, Main Street (1892), the Albright-Knox Art Gallery, Elmwood Avenue (1900), the gold-domed Buffalo Savings Bank, Main Street (1900), and the Unity Temple, Niagara Street (1905). After the death of Wicks in 1919 Green continued to practice with his son Edward B. Green Jr. (1888-1933) and then with R.M. James from 1936 to 1950. During his later career Green Sr. designed the Art Institute in Dayton, Ohio (1927-30), and prepared the master plan for the campus of the State University of New York at Buffalo (1930-37). Green died in Buffalo on 11 February 1950 (obituary in the Buffalo Evening News, 13 Feb. 1950, 24; biographies in Buffalo Evening News, 22 Feb. 1938; Buffalo Courier Express, 14 June 1942; biography and port. in Buffalo Business, Nov. 1943, 12; Macmillan Encyclopedia of Architects, 1982, ii, 238)

GREEN & WICKS

NIAGARA FALLS, ONT., Ontario Power Company Buildings, Murray Street at Buchanan Avenue, including the Entrance Pavilion, Spillway Building, Office & Transformer Station, Gate House, Screen House, and Generating Station at river level, 1904-06 (American Architect & Buildings News [Boston], xcii, 20 July 1907, illus.; Canadian Electrical News [Toronto], xvi, Sept. 1906, 250-7, illus & descrip.)
BRANTFORD, ONT., master plan for the John H. Stratford Hospital, Brant Avenue, 1911-12 (Brantford Weekly Expositor, 21 Dec. 1911, 9, illus.)
(attributed) SCARBOROUGH, ONT., residence for Miller Lash, Old Kingston Road, overlooking Highland Creek, on the Scarborough Campus of the University of Toronto, built 1913; restored 2000 (Toronto Star, 15 July 2000, N12, illus.; Larry W. Richards, University of Toronto - The Campus Guide, 2019, 293-95, illus. & descrip.)
NIAGARA FALLS, ONT., residence for Dr. H.Y. Grant, Victoria Place, 1916 (C.R., xxx, 29 March 1916, 47)