Lane, Henry Bowyer Joseph

LANE, Henry Bowyer Joseph (1817-1878)
(biography in preparation)

TORONTO

TRINITY CHURCH (also called Little Trinity Church), King Street East at Trinity Street, 1843-44; still standing as of 2021 (Patriot [Toronto], 21 July 1843, 2, t.c.; The Church [Cobourg], 23 Feb. 1844, 130, descrip.; A. Sylvester, Sketches of Toronto, 1858, 48; M. MacRae & A. Adamson, Hallowed Walls, 1975, 105-06, illus.)
SECOND CITY HALL & ST. LAWRENCE MARKET, Front Street East at Jarvis Street, 1844; rebuilt in 1851 by William Thomas; altered 1899 (Star [Toronto], 13 April 1844, 3, descrip.; British Colonist [Toronto], 11 June 1844, 3, t.c.; Globe [Toronto], 13 Dec. 1856, Pictorial Supplement, 2, illus. & descrip.; A. Sylvester, Sketches of Toronto, 1858, 14-15, descrip.; J.R. Robertson, Landmarks of Toronto, i, 1894, 290-1, illus. & descrip.; W. Dendy & W. Kilbourn, Toronto Observed, 1986, 43-5, illus.; dwgs. at Metropolitan Toronto Reference Library, Baldwin Room, Langley Coll. 170-76)
OSGOODE HALL, Queen Street West at University Avenue, west wing, facade for east wing, and central section with loggia and dome, 1844; central section altered 1856 by Cumberland & Storm (British Colonist [Toronto], 20 Aug. 1844, 3, t.c.; M. MacRae & A. Adamson, Cornerstones of Order, 1983, 123-8, illus.; W. Dendy & W. Kilbourn, Toronto Observed, 1986, 71-7, illus.)
ST. GEORGE THE MARTYR ANGLICAN CHURCH, John Street at Stephanie Street, 1844-45; burned 1955; tower still standing (British Colonist [Toronto], 27 June 1845; A. Sylvester, Sketches of Toronto, 1858, 48; J.R. Robertson, Landmarks of Toronto, iv, 1904, 6-10, illus. & descrip.; H. Harman & W. Upshall, Story of the Church of St. George the Martyr, 1945, 6, 10-14, descrip.; Eric Arthur, Toronto - No Mean City, 1964, 76, illus.)
SHERBOURNE STREET, at Wellesley Street East, 'Homewood', a mansion for George Allan, 1847; demol. 1964 (signed specifications at Metropolitan Toronto Reference Library, Baldwin Room, John Howard Coll., L27 Part III, Box 2, Folder 3; dwgs. at OA, Horwood Coll. 90, 460; E. Firth, Toronto in Art, 1983, 20-1, illus.)
HOLY TRINITY ANGLICAN CHURCH, Trinity Square near Yonge Street, 1846-47; restored 1986 (British Colonist [Toronto], 24 April 1846, 3, t.c.; Toronto Herald, 2 July 1846, 2; The Church [Cobourg], 29 Oct. 1847, 62; C.A.B., xi, Jan. 1898, illus.; W. Dendy & W. Kilbourn, Toronto Observed, 1986, 48-50, illus.)
LAWTON AVENUE, near Heath Street, 'Lawton Park', residence for Col. Arthur Carthew, 1847; demol. 1935 (dwgs. at Metropolitan Toronto Reference Library, Baldwin Room, Fisken Papers; J. Kinsella, Historical Walking Tour of Deer Park, 1996, 34, illus.)

ELSEWHERE

COBOURG, ONT., St. Peter's Anglican Parochial School, Green Street, 1841-42 (The Church [Cobourg], 4 Dec. 1841, 86, descrip.; Cobourg Star, 19 Jan. 1842, 2, descrip.)
COBOURG, ONT., St. Peter's Anglican Church, King Street East, addition of new tower and front facade, 1844; project completed by Kivas Tully, 1850 (The Church [Cobourg], 26 April 1844, 166, descrip.)
NIAGARA-ON-THE-LAKE, ONT., St. Mark's Anglican Church, 1845, improvements and alterations, 1845 (The Church [Cobourg], 21 Nov. 1845, 78, descrip.)
KINGSTON, ONT., St. Paul's Anglican Church, Queen Street at Montreal Street, 1846; burned 1854 and rebuilt by William Hay (The Church [Cobourg], 17 April 1846, 162; Jennifer McKendry, Architects Working in the Kingston Region 1820-1920, 2019, 69, illus.)
(attributed) HAMILTON, ONT., Dundurn Castle, York Boulevard, alterations for Sir Allan MacNab, 1846 (M. MacRae, MacNab of Dundurn, 1971, 123, 130)

AUSTRALIA

BALLARAT, VIC., Officers' Quarters in the Government Camp, June 1853 (dwgs. at P.R.O., Victoria, VPRS 1189/PO, Unit 91, F54/5953)
BALLARAT, VIC., Military Barracks at the Commissioners. Camp, Oct. 1853 (dwgs. at P.R.O., Victoria, VPRS, 1189/PO, Unit 87, F53/10472)
BUNINYONG, VIC., County Court House, sketches submitted for approval by Oct. 1853, but not built (dwgs. at P.R.O., Victoria, VPRS 956, 53/449)
BUNINYONG, VIC., Gaol, plans submitted for approval by Oct. 1853 (dwgs. at P.R.O., Victoria, VPRS 40/P0002, 53/334)
BALLARAT, VIC., store for the Civil Commissariat, March 1854 (dwgs. at P.R.O., Victoria, VPRS 46/P0002, 54/181)
BALLARAT, VIC., Police Court, March 1854 (dwgs. at P.R.O., Victoria, VPRS 46/P0002, 54/447)
BALLARAT, VIC., Post Office, March 1854 (dwgs. at P.R.O., Victoria, VPRS 46/P0002, 54/180)
BALLARAT, VIC., Police Magistrates Quarters, March 1854 (dwgs. at P.R.O., Victoria, VPRS 40/P0002, 54/447)
BALLARAT, VIC., Military Barracks and cookhouse in the Government Camp, April 1854 (dwgs. at P.R.O., Victoria, VPRS 46/P0002, 54/341 and VPRS 46/P0002, 54/449)
BALLARAT, VIC., Resident Commissioner's Quarters, April 1854 (dwgs. at P.R.O., Victoria, VPRS 46/P0002, 54/342 and VPRS P0002 54/634)
MEREDITH, VIC., Police Station, April 1854 (dwgs. at P.R.O., Victoria, VPRS 40/P0002, 54/297)
CRESWICK'S CREEK, VIC., Lockups, May 1854 (dwgs. at P.R.O., Victoria, VPRS 40/P0002, 54/434)
BALLARAT, VIC., Anglican Church, 1854-55 (Argus [Melbourne], 6 Oct. 1854, 7)
BALLARAT, VIC., Wesleyan School, Lydiard Street, 1854 (Ballarat Times, 14 Oct. 1854)

COMPETITIONS

QUEENSTON, ONT., Brock's Monument, 1842. Lane was among thirty-five competitors from the United States and Canada who submitted designs for this commission (OA, MU 296, Brock Monument Papers, list from 21 Feb. 1843, Design No. 17). Thomas Young of Toronto was declared winner, but his scheme was never built.
COMMERCIAL BANK, Wellington Street West, 1845. Entries were received from William Thomas, Kivas Tully and Henry B.J. Lane, but Lane's design was passed over and Thomas was awarded First Premium (British Colonist, 11 Feb. 1845, 3)
ST. MICHAEL'S ROMAN CATHOLIC CATHEDRAL, Bond Street, 1845. The design submitted by Lane received Second Premium, and the commission was awarded to William Thomas (Toronto Herald, 12 May 1845, 2)
MONTREAL, QUE., Bank of Montreal. A group of seven architects from Montreal and Toronto submitted a total of nine different designs for this important landmark. Lane offered two different designs for the new headquarters building of the Bank to be located in Place d'Armes, but his proposals were set aside and prizes were awarded to John Wells and James Springle (Gazette [Montreal], 12 Aug. 1845, 2, list of competitors; Merrill Denison, Canada's First Bank-The Bank of Montreal, 1967, ii, 20-1)
NIAGARA, ONT., Town Hall & Market House, 1846. Lane was one of three Toronto architects who prepared designs for this civic commission. The Board of Police set aside the schemes by Lane and Kivas Tully and declared William Thomas as winner (British Colonist [Toronto], 21 July 1846, 3)
MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA, University of Melbourne, 1854. Lane was awarded a generous Second Premium of £200 for his design of the principal buildings at the newly created University of Melbourne (Minutes of the Council of the University of Melbourne, 4 Feb. 1854)