Thomas, William

THOMAS, William (1799-1860)
entry in preparation

ENGLAND

( works in Leamington Spa, Warwicks.)

BEAUCHAMP TERRACE, pair of houses for William Phipson, 1831-33; demol. c. 1910 (H. Colvin, Biographical Dictionary of British Architects, 1995, 974; G. McArthur and A. Szamosi, William Thomas Architect, 1996, 2, illus.)
WESLEYAN METHODIST CHURCH, Portland Street, new facade, extension of nave and galleries, 1834 (Fairfax's New Guide and Directory to Leamington Spa and its Environs, 1838, 91)
BAPTIST CHAPEL, Warwick Street, 1834 (Leamington Spa Courier, 27 Sept. 1834; N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, 1966, 335; G. McArthur and A. Szamosi, William Thomas Architect, 1996, 2-3, illus.)
WELHAM VILLA, for Joseph Halford, 1834 (Leamington Spa Courier, 25 Jan. 1834)
GRAFTON VILLA, now THE CEDARS, Warwick New Road, for Charles Milverton, 1834-36 (Merridew's Improved Edition of Moncrieff's Guide to Leamington Spa, 1837, 77; H. Colvin, Biographical Dictionary of British Architects, 1995, 974; G. McArthur and A. Szamosi, William Thomas Architect, 1996, 6-8, illus.)
WARWICK PLACE, two pairs of semi-detached villas, 1834-36 (engr. in Warwick County Record Office, CR 351/195; H. Colvin, Biographical Dictionary of British Architects, 1995, 974; G. McArthur and A. Szamosi, William Thomas Architect, 1996, 8, illus.)
VICTORIA HOUSE, Warwick Street, large villa, possibly intended as a hotel, 1835 (G. McArthur and A. Szamosi, William Thomas Architect, 1996, 15-17)
LANSDOWNE CRESCENT, a curved terrace of twenty-one houses, begun 1835-38; completed 1866 (Leamington Spa Courier, 30 May 1835; Architectural Review [London], xci, May 1942, 103-08, illus.; N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, 1966, 338; G. McArthur and A. Szamosi, William Thomas Architect, 1996, 9-10, illus.)
LANSDOWNE CIRCUS, eight pairs of semi-detached units and two end-villas, 1835 (G. McArthur and A. Szamosi, William Thomas Architect, 1996, 15-17)
HOLLY WALK, six detached villas, of which the architect's own house at No. 19, called ELIZABETHAN PLACE, and the adjacent OAK HOUSE, survive, 1835-39 (G. McArthur and A. Szamosi, William Thomas Architect, 1996, 12-15; H. Colvin, Biographical Dictionary of British Architects, 1995, 974)
VICTORIA TERRACE, PUMP ROOM & BATHS, Bath Street, 1837 (Leamington Spa Courier, 16 July 1836; 11 July 1840, descrip.; G. McArthur and A. Szamosi, William Thomas Architect, 1996, 19-21, illus.)
BRANDON PARADE, proposal for twenty villas, of which three were built, 1837; two now demol. (Merridew's Improved Edition of Moncrieff's Guide to Leamington Spa, 1837, 76-7)
WARWICK STREET, office and residence for Algernon S. Field, 1839 (Toronto Society of Arts: Second Catalogue, 1848, Item 101; G. McArthur and A. Szamosi, William Thomas Architect, 1996, 21, illus.)

(Elsewhere in England)

BEDWORTH, WARWICKSHIRE, rebuilding of All Saints Anglican Church, 1827; later rebuilt 1888-89 (Lambeth Palace Library, Records of the Incorporated Church Building Society)
LEICESTERSHIRE, Staunton Harold Hall, new Conservatory for Rt. Hon. Earl Ferrers, 1830 (inf. Neil Einarson, Winnipeg)
RADFORD SEMELE, WARWICKSHIRE, 'The Hall', alterations and improvements for H. Greswold, 1834 (drawings at Warwickshire County Record Office, CR/1291/366/15; G. McArthur and A. Szamosi, William Thomas Architect, 1996, 3-5, illus.)
RADFORD SEMELE, WARWICKSHIRE, enlargement and repairs to St. Nicholas Anglican Church, 1837-38; rebuilt 1889 (Warwickshire County Record Office, accounts in DR 295/56)
HANDSWORTH, near Birmingham, 'Henwood Court', a mansion for James Russell, 1839 (Birmingham Society of Artists Catalogue, 1839, Item 413; G. McArthur and A. Szamosi, William Thomas Architect, 1996, 24-5, illus.)
BIRMINGHAM, Warwick House, New Street, store for William Holliday, 1839 (Leamington Spa Courier, 22 July 1839, t.c.; Civil Engineer & Architect's Journal [London], iii, April 1840, 128 and Plate IX, descrip. & illus.; dwg. by Thomas in Birmingham Art Gallery dated 1840; G. McArthur and A. Szamosi, William Thomas Architect, 1996, 25-27, illus.)
BIRMINGHAM, St. Matthew's Anglican Church, Great Lister Street, Duddeston, 1839-40 (Leamington Spa Courier, 3 Aug. 1839, t.c.; Civil Engineer & Architect's Journal [London], ii, Nov. 1839, 445, descrip.; iii, Nov. 1840, 399, descrip.; N. Pevsner, Warwickshire, 1966, 131, descrip.; G. McArthur and A. Szamosi, William Thomas Architect, 1996, 23-4, illus.)
LONDON, a pair of villas for 'Mr. Tilsby' [sic], now identified correctly as Mr. Samuel Tildesley, Clifton Gardens at Randolph Road, Maida Hill (now Maida Vale), in the City of Westminster, 1858-59 (Building News [London], v, 30 Sept. 1859, 880, descrip.)

INSTITUTIONAL

(works in Toronto unless noted)

FIREMAN'S HALL & MECHANICS INSTITUTE, Court Street near Toronto Street, 1845; demol. 1883 (British Colonist [Toronto], 29 Aug. 1845, 2, descrip.)
NIAGARA-ON-THE-LAKE, ONT., Niagara District Court House & Town Hall, Queen Street, 1846-47 (British Colonist [Toronto], 10 July 1846, 3, t.c.; M. MacRae & A. Adamson, Cornerstones of Order, 1983, 128-35, illus.; dwgs. at OA, D. Coll., 1572-75)
SIMCOE, ONT., new Gaol at the Norfolk County Court House, 1846-48 (British Colonist [Toronto], 25 Sept. 1846, 2; Heritage Buildings of Norfolk, 1985, 76-7, illus.)
NORMAL SCHOOL, King Street West at Simcoe Street, conversion of the former Government House, 1847; demol. c. 1870 (OA, RG2, C6-C, Box 5, letter of Oct. 1846)
HOUSE OF INDUSTRY, Elm Street at Elizabeth Street, 1848 (Toronto Examiner, 15 Nov. 1848; Globe [Toronto], Pictorial Supplement, 13 Dec. 1856, 2)
CHATHAM, ONT., Kent County Court House, Stanley Avenue, 1848-50 (British Colonist [Toronto], 23 Nov. 1847, 2; Chatham Gleaner, 26 Dec. 1848, 2; Chatham Chronicle, 7 Aug. 1849, 3; M. MacRae & A. Adamson, Cornerstones of Order, 1983, 129-35, illus.)
LONDON, ONT., Union School, 1849 (Canadian Free Press [London], 10 April 1849, 2 & 3; History of the County of Middlesex, 1889, 290)
ST. LAWRENCE HALL, King Street East at Jarvis Street, early design 1845; construction 1849-50; restored 1969 (British Colonist [Toronto], 11 Feb. 1845, 1, descrip.; Globe [Toronto], 21 Aug. 1849, 3, t.c.; 13 Dec. 1856, 2, Pictorial Supplement, illus. & descrip.; A. Sylvester, Sketches of Toronto, 1858, 13-14, descrip.; E. Arthur, St. Lawrence Hall, 1969, 24-42, illus.; W. Dendy & W. Kilbourn, Toronto Observed, 1986, 51-3, illus.)
PETERBOROUGH, ONT., Town Hall and Market House, with Police Station & Post Office, on Market Square, George Street North, 1851; altered 1885; demol. (Globe [Toronto], 21 Sept. 1850, 3, descrip.; Weekly Dispatch [Peterborough], 2 Jan. 1851, 2; 9 Jan. 1851, 2 & 3)
PROVINCIAL LUNATIC ASYLUM, Queen Street West, brick boundary walls, Lodge entrances, and farm buildings at the west end of the site, 1851 (Globe [Toronto], Pictorial Supplement, 13 Dec. 1856, 2; OA, Horwood Coll., specifications)
SECOND CITY HALL, Front Street East at Jarvis Street, new shop fronts and extensive remodelling, 1851 (dwgs. at Metropolitan Toronto Reference Library, Baldwin Room, Howard Collection, 411-21; W. Dendy, Lost Toronto, 1978, 48-51, illus.)
LOUISA STREET PUBLIC SCHOOL, 1852, and PARK PUBLIC SCHOOL, St. James Street, 1852; both demol. (Toronto, Report of the Past History and Present Condition of the Common Schools of the City of Toronto, 1859, 45)
HAMILTON, ONT., Orphan Asylum and Aged Women's Home, Wellington Street South at Hannah Street, 1852; demol. 1959 (Hamilton Public Library, Minute Book of the Orphans & Aged Women's Home)
GODERICH, ONT., Central School, North Street, 1853-56 (Huron Signal [Goderich], 20 Oct. 1853, descrip.)
EASTERN MARKET, Eastern Avenue at Sumach Street, 1854; demol. (Globe [Toronto], 20 April 1854, 2)
QUEENSTON, ONT., Brock's Monument, 1853-56; Battlefield Obelisk, 1856; Keeper's Lodge, completed 1859 (Buffalo Christian Advocate [Buffalo, N.Y.], 19 Aug. 1852, 3, descrip.; Globe [Toronto], 18 Nov. 1852, 555, t.c.; 19 Feb. 1855, 2, descrip.; Builder [London], xi, 10 Dec. 1853, 749, descrip.; Leader [Toronto], 14 Oct. 1859, 2, descrip.; Journal of Education for Upper Canada, xii, Aug. 1859, 120-21, descrip.; xiii, Sept. 1860, 141, descrip.; OA, MU 296, Brock Monument Papers, Designs No. 1 and No. 2)
HAMILTON, ONT., two Public Schools, 1855 (Spectator [Hamilton], 26 Sept. 1855, 3, t.c.)
KNOX'S COLLEGE, Grosvenor Street near Yonge Street, additions and improvements, 1856; demol. (Metropolitan Toronto Reference Library, Baldwin Room, Pim Papers, dwgs. and contract, MSS S117)
GUELPH, ONT., Town Hall & Market, Carden Street, 1856-57 (Guelph Advertiser, 26 June 1856, 3, t.c.; M. MacRae & A. Adamson, Cornerstones of Order, 1983, 147-8, illus.)
QUEBEC CITY, QUE., Customs House, St. Andre Street, 1856-60; burned 1864; rebuilt; cupola burned 1909 (Daily Spectator [Hamilton], 23 June 1856, 2; Canada, Sessional Papers, 1867-68, Report of the Commissioner of Public Works, 259-60; L. Noppen et al, Quebec - Trois siecles d'architecture, 1979, 307, illus.)
STRATFORD, ONT., Town Hall & Market, Wellington Street at Downie Street, 1857; burned 1897 (Globe [Toronto], 9 Feb. 1857, 3, t.c; M. MacRae & A. Adamson, Cornerstones of Order, 1983, 184-85, illus.)
TORONTO JAIL, Gerrard Street East at the Don River, 1857-60; burned Jan. 1862; rebuilt 1863-64 (Globe [Toronto], 6 July 1857, 2, descrip.; 7 June 1859, 2; 18 Jan. 1862, 2, descrip.; 14 Jan. 1864, 2, descrip.; Eric Arthur, Toronto - No Mean City, 1964, 140-41, illus. & descrip.,; W. Dendy & W. Kilbourn, Toronto Observed, 1986, 78-80, illus.; dwgs. at City of Toronto Archives dated Nov. 1857 and July 1858)
HALIFAX, N.S., County Court House, Spring Garden Road, 1858-60 (Acadian Recorder, 21 Aug. 1858, 3, t.c.; Globe [Toronto], 19 Nov. 1858, 2, descrip.; N.S., Journals of the House of Assembly, 1860, 681; M. Carter, Early Canadian Court Houses, 1983, 62-3, illus.)

ECCLESIASTICAL

LONDON, ONT., St. Paul's Anglican Church, Richmond Street at Queen's Avenue, 1844-45 (The Church [Cobourg], 5 July 1844, 206; British Canadian [Toronto], 9 Jan. 1847, 2; M. MacRae & A. Adamson, Hallowed Walls, 1975, 148, illus.)
ST. MICHAEL'S ROMAN CATHOLIC CATHEDRAL, Bond Street at Shuter Street, 1845-48 (St. Catharines Journal, 15 May 1845, 2, descrip.; Globe [Toronto], Pictorial Supplement, 13 Dec. 1856, 2; A. Sylvester, Sketches of Toronto, 1858, 68-9, descrip.; Eric Arthur, Toronto - No Mean City, 1964, 88-90, illus. & descrip.,)
NEW CONNEXION METHODIST CHURCH, Temperance Street, 1846; demol. (Banner [Toronto], 24 July 1846, 3, t.c.)
ETOBICOKE, ONT., St. George's-On-the-Hill Anglican Church, Dundas Street, 1847 (The Church [Cobourg], 22 Oct. 1847, 58; British Colonist [Toronto], 29 Oct. 1847, 2)
KNOX PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH, Queen Street West near Bay Street, 1847; demol. 1907 (Globe [Toronto], 24 July 1847, 3, t.c.; Toronto Examiner, 6 Sept. 1848, descrip.; 13 Dec. 1856, 2, Pictorial Supplement, illus.; A. Sylvester, Sketches of Toronto, 1858, 57-8, descrip.)
UNITED PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH, Bay Street at Richmond Street West, 1848; demol. 1886 (Globe [Toronto], 10 Jan. 1849, 10, descrip.; Globe [Toronto], Pictorial Supplement, 13 Dec. 1856, 2, descrip.; A. Sylvester, Sketches of Toronto, 1858, 60, descrip.; J.R. Robertson, Landmarks of Toronto, 1894, i, 219-20, illus. & descrip.; Eric Arthur, Toronto - No Mean City, 1964, 107, illus. & descrip.,)
GUELPH, ONT., St. George's Anglican Church, 1851; unfinished church demolished in 1873 (Guelph Herald, 29 April 1851, 2, descrip.; History of St. George's Church, Guelph, Ontario 1832-1982, 20-1, illus.; dwgs. at Metropolitan Toronto Reference Library, Baldwin Room, Langley Coll. 191-96)
NIAGARA-ON-THE-LAKE, ONT., Presbyterian Church, 1852 (Globe [Toronto], 16 March 1852, 131, t.c.)
HAMILTON, ONT., Christ Church (Anglican), James Street North, extension to nave and chancel, 1852-54 (Hamilton Gazette, 8 April 1852, 3, t.c.; 1 May 1854, 2, descrip.; Mark Osbaldeston, Unbuilt Hamilton, 2016, 67-69, illus. & descrip.; Malcolm Thurlby, "Christ's Church Hamilton Ontario & The Changing Image of the Anglican Church 1835-1875", in the Journal of the Society for the Study of Architecture in Canada, xlii, No. 1, 2017, 21-42, illus. & descrip.)
UNITARIAN CHURCH, Jarvis Street near Gerrard Street East, 1853-54; demol. c. 1949 (Daily Leader [Toronto], 1 July 1854, 2; Globe [Toronto], Pictorial Supplement, 13 Dec. 1856, 3; A. Sylvester, Sketches of Toronto, 1858, 70, descrip.)
GRANTHAM, ONT., Christ Church (Anglican), 1853 (The Church [Cobourg], 4 Aug. 1853, 2)
HAMILTON, ONT., St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church (later St. Paul's), James Street South at Jackson Street, 1854-57; Manse, Park Street at Herkimer Street, 1857 (Spectator [Hamilton], 14 Sept. 1854, 2; Globe [Toronto], 7 March 1857, 2, descrip.; Presbyterian [Montreal], x, April 1857, 54, descrip.; C.A.B., xiv, Feb. 1901, 27-8, descrip. & illus.; dwgs. at the church offices; Hamilton Public Library, St. Paul's Church file, gas fitter's bill for Manse)
ZION CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH, Bay Street at Adelaide Street West, 1855-56; demol. 1887 (Globe [Toronto], 12 April 1855, 3, t.c.; 2 Aug. 1855, 2, descrip.; 4 Aug 1856, 2, descrip.; Canadian Illustrated News, iii, 17 June 1871, 371-2, descrip. & illus.; M. MacRae & A. Adamson, Hallowed Walls, 1975, 209, 222, illus.)
GERMAN LUTHERAN CHURCH, Bond Street, 1855-56 (Globe [Toronto], 4 Aug. 1856, 2, descrip.; A. Sylvester, Sketches of Toronto, 1858, 70, descrip.)
COOKE'S IRISH PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH, Queen Street East at Mutual Street, designed 1852; built 1857-58; demol. 1891 (Globe [Toronto], 20 Nov. 1852, 3, descrip.; 7 Oct. 1856, 2, t.c.; The Globe [Toronto], Pictorial Supplement, 13 Dec. 1856, 2, descrip.; 3 June 1857, 2, descrip.; A. Sylvester, Sketches of Toronto, 1858, 59-60, descrip.; Canadian Illustrated News, ii, 17 Dec. 1870, 390, 393, illus. & descrip.)
PERTH, ONT., St. James Anglican Church, 1858; completed by Fuller & Jones, 1861 (Globe [Toronto], 15 Nov. 1856, 3, t.c.; Canadian Ecclesiastical Gazette, v, July 1858, 53-4; viii, 2 Dec. 1861, 179)
HALIFAX, N.S., St. Matthew's Presbyterian Church, Barrington Street, 1857-59 (British Colonist [Halifax], 1 Sept. 1857, 3, t.c.; Globe [Toronto], 19 Nov. 1858, 2, descrip.; Nova Scotian [Halifax], 25 July 1859, 2; Presbyterian [Montreal], xii, Dec. 1859, 181, descrip.)
HAMILTON, ONT., McNab Street Prebyterian Church, McNab Street at Hunter Street, 1857 (Globe [Toronto], 11 June 1857, 2, descrip.)

RESIDENTIAL

BISHOP'S PALACE, for the Roman Catholic Archbishop of Toronto, Church Street near Shuter Street, 1845 (British Colonist [Toronto], 23 Oct. 1846, 2; Eric Arthur, Toronto - No Mean City, 1964, 91, illus. & descrip., C. Thomas, Story of St. Michael's Cathedral Rectory, 1982; H. Kalman, History of Canadian Architecture, 1994, 278-9, illus. & descrip.; OA, Horwood Coll., specifications)
LONDON, ONT., residence for Lawrence Lawrason, Colborne Street, 1846; demol. (Times [London], 6 Feb. 1846, 3, t.c.)
GERRARD STREET, at Jarvis Street, villa for Alexander Dixon, 1846-47; demol. (Toronto Society of Arts, 1847 exhibition catalogue, Item 294)
WELLINGTON TERRACE, Wellington Street West near Simcoe Street, 1847 (Toronto Society of Arts, 1847 exhibition catalogue, Item 305)
HAMILTON, ONT., 'Undermount', a villa for John Young, John Street South, 1847; demol. 1966 (Toronto Society of Arts, 1848 exhibition catalogue, Item 127)
OAKHAM HOUSE, Church Street at Gould Street, a residence for the architect, 1848 (Globe [Toronto], 13 Feb. 1849, 3, advert.; M. MacRae & A. Adamson, Ancestral Roof, 1963, 168-73, illus.; Eric Arthur, Toronto - No Mean City, 1964, 86-7, illus. & descrip.; W. Dendy & W. Kilbourn, Toronto Observed, 1986, 54-5, illus.)
HAMILTON, ONT., 'Ballinahinch', a mansion for Aeneas S. Kennedy, James Street South at Aberdeen Avenue, 1849-50; burned 1853; rebuilt (Hamilton Public Library, Ferrie Papers, Items 1859 and 1860)
(attributed) HAMILTON, ONT., 'Arkledun', a mansion for Richard Juson, John Street South at the foot of the Mountain, c. 1849; demol. c. 1930. Carved decorations, some nearly identical to those on Oakham House, survive as part of a garage structure at 181 MacNab Street South (inf. Stephen A. Otto, Toronto)
(attributed) HAMILTON, ONT., 'Inglewood', for Archibald Kerr, Inglewood Avenue, c. 1853 (Dictionary of Hamilton Biography, 1981, 115)
FRONT STREET WEST, at Peter Street, for John McMurrich, 1853; demol. (Daily Leader [Toronto], 20 Oct. 1853, 2)
LAKE SHORE ROAD, West Toronto, 'Brighton Villa', a residence near the Dugway, 1853 (Globe [Toronto], 9 Feb. 1854, 4, advert.)
GOULD STREET, near Bond Street, two houses for Patrick Freeland, 1855; demol. (Globe [Toronto], 25 April 1855, t.c.; 12 Sept. 1855)
KING STREET WEST, near John Street, four houses on the Mercer Block, 1855 (Globe [Toronto], 4 June 1855, 3, t.c.)
QUEEN STREET EAST, two houses for Mr. Rolph, 1856 (Globe [Toronto], 4 Aug. 1856, 2, descrip.)
DRUMSNAB ROAD, 'Castle Frank', additions to the residence for John Cayley, 1856 (Globe [Toronto], 9 June 1856, 3, t.c.; 4 Aug. 1856, 2; W. Dendy & W. Kilbourn, Toronto Observed, 1986, 30-1, illus.)
KING STREET WEST, near Simcoe Street, three houses for Hon. Henry J. Boulton, 1856; demol. (Globe [Toronto], 4 Aug. 1856, 2, descrip.; dwgs. at University of Toronto, Fisher Library, Tyrrell Coll.)
CHURCH STREET, at Gould Street, 'Prospect Hall', a residence for Rice Lewis, 1856 (Globe [Toronto], 4 Aug. 1856, 2, descrip.; Metropolitan Toronto Reference Library, Baldwin Room, Pim Papers, S117, 16 April 1856)
QUEEN STREET WEST, near Spadina Avenue, 'Gore Vale', enlargement of the residence for Col. James Furlong, 1856 (Globe [Toronto], 4 July 1856, 3, t.c.; 4 Aug. 1856, 2)
GERRARD STREET EAST, at Pembroke Street, residence for Thomas Brunskill, 1856 (Globe [Toronto], 8 July 1856, 3, t.c.; 4 Aug. 1856, 2, descrip.)
PETER STREET, at McGee Street, for John Cameron, 1857 (Metropolitan Toronto Reference Library, Baldwin Room, Pim Papers, 20 May 1857; Globe [Toronto], 6 July 1857)
JARVIS STREET, near Gerrard Street East, for John Harrington, 1859 (Globe [Toronto], 3 May 1859, 2, t.c.)
ST. CATHARINES, ONT., 'Oak Hill', residence for W.H. Merritt, Yates Street, 1859 (St. Catharines Journal, 21 July 1859, t.c.; OA, Merritt Papers, letter from W. Thomas to W.H. Merritt, 15 Sept. 1859; E. Julian et al, St. Catharines: Our Built Heritage, 2005, 40, illus.)
MUTUAL STREET, near Shuter Street, a mansion, probably for Henry Eccles, 1859 (Globe [Toronto], 28 July 1859, 2, descrip.)

COMMERCIAL & INDUSTRIAL

THE ADELAIDE BUILDINGS, King Street East, 1844; demol. (Star [Toronto], 20 Nov. 1844, 2, descrip.)
COMMERCIAL BANK, Wellington Street West near Yonge Street, 1845; dismantled 1989; facade moved and rebuilt in 1990 as part of BCE Place (British Colonist [Toronto], 11 Feb. 1845, 3, descrip.; Globe [Toronto], Pictorial Supplement, 13 Dec. 1856, 4; Eric Arthur, Toronto - No Mean City, 1964, 71-75, illus. & descrip.; W. Dendy & W. Kilbourn, Toronto Observed, 1986, 46-7, illus.; H. Kalman, History of Canadian Architecture, 1994, 309-10, illus. & descrip.)
PORT HOPE, ONT., stores for Robert N. Waddell, Walton Street, 1845 (Metropolitan Toronto Reference Library, Baldwin Room, Journal of J.G. Howard, Feb. 7, 20, and 21, 1845)
KING STREET WEST, near York Street, commercial block for Henry J. Boulton, 1846; demol. (British Colonist [Toronto], 25 Aug. 1846, 2)
YONGE STREET, near Front Street West, store and warehouse for Bryce, McMurrich & Co., 1847 (Globe [Toronto], 4 Aug. 1847, 3, t.c.)
HAMILTON, ONT., Bank of British North America, King Street East near James Street North, 1847-48 (Toronto Herald, 19 Aug. 1847, 3; Spectator [Hamilton], 29 April 1848, 3, t.c.)
HAMILTON, ONT., two stores for John White, John Street at Main Street East, 1850 (inf. from Gary E. French, Elmvale, Ont.)
YORK CHAMBERS, Toronto Street at Court Street, remodelling of the old Gaol for James Dickson, 1852; demol. 1957 (British Colonist [Toronto], 18 May 1852, 3; G.P. Ure, Handbook of Toronto, 1858, 248-9, descrip.)
HAMILTON, ONT., A. & T.C. Kerr Store, King Street East, additions, 1852 (Spectator [Hamilton], 21 April 1852, 3, t.c.)
HAMILTON, ONT., White's Block, King Street East, for John White, 1853 (Spectator [Hamilton], 21 Feb. 1853, 3)
HAMILTON, ONT., four stores for Best & Green, James Street North opposite the Mechanic's Institute, 1854 (Spectator [Hamilton], 6 Sept. 1854, 3, t.c.)
TORONTO ESPLANADE, design of a stone embankment wall and cribbing breast work running the full length of the Esplanade, from Parliament Street to Bathurst Street, for the new Grand Trunk Railway lines, 1854 (Globe [Toronto], 1 Nov. 1854, 2; 15 Nov. 1854, 2, Letter from William Thomas, with descrip. of the project)
ROSS, MITCHELL & CO., Yonge Street at Colborne Street, later occupied by the Bank of Upper Canada, c. 1855 (Daily Patriot [Toronto], 15 June 1852, 2; G.P. Ure, Handbook of Toronto, 1858, 251; O. Thompson, Toronto in the Camera, 1868, 14, illus.)
KING STREET, stores and offices for Shaw, Turnbull & Co., 1856-57 (Globe [Toronto], 4 Aug. 1856, 2, descrip.)
HALIFAX, N.S., Duffus & Co., Granville Street at Buckingham Street, warehouse and two adjoining retail stores, 1860 (British Colonist [Halifax], 29 Nov. 1859, 3, t.c.; Halifax Reporter, 3 Nov. 1860, 2, descrip.)
HALIFAX, N.S., J.B. Bennett & Co., Granville Street, warehouse and store, 1860 (Halifax Reporter, 3 Nov. 1860, 2, descrip.)
HALIFAX, N.S., London House, for Edward Billing & Co., Granville Street, warehouse & store, 1860 (Halifax Reporter, 3 Nov. 1860, 2, descrip.)
HALIFAX, N.S., Palace Buildings, Granville Street, a row of six stores for E.W. Chipman & Co., H. Mignowitz, and K. Skerry, 1860 (Morning Journal [Halifax], 30 Nov. 1859, 2, t.c.; Halifax Reporter, 3 Nov. 1860, 2, descrip.)
HALIFAX, N.S., Granville Street, two stores for W.J. Coleman, 1860 (British Colonist [Halifax], 10 Dec. 1859, 2, t.c.; Halifax Reporter, 3 Nov. 1860, 2, descrip.)
HALIFAX, N.S., Prince of Wales Building, Granville Street, at Duke Street, two stores for Robert Romans, 1860 (Halifax Reporter, 3 Nov. 1860, 2, descrip.)

COMPETITIONS

BIRMINGHAM, ENGL., design for the Town Hall, 1831. The scheme by Hansom & Welch was awarded the prize for best design (Toronto Society of Arts Exhibition Catalogue, 1847, Item 170)
CAMBRIDGE, ENGL., competition submission for the Fitzwilliam Museum, 1835. The design by George Basevi of London, England was declared winner (Toronto Society of Arts Exhibition Catalogue, 1847, Item 154)
LONDON, ENGL., Nelson Monument Competition, Trafalgar Square, 1839. The proposal by Thomas is described in detail in the Leamington Spa Courier of 2 February 1839. The winning proposal was submitted by William Railton of London.
BURY ST. EDMUNDS, ENGL., Anglican Church, 1839. Thomas was given a premium for his submission, but it may not have been built (Toronto Society of Arts Exhibition Catalogue, 1848, Item 126)
ST. GEORGE'S ANGLICAN CHURCH, John Street at Stephanie Street, 1844. Thomas submitted a design in competition with other architects, but the scheme by Henry B. Lane was given First Premium (Toronto Anglican Diocesan Archives, Parish Papers of St. George The Martyr, letter to William Thomas, 27 April 1844)
MONTREAL, QUE., Town Hall and Market Building Competition, 1844. His submission was set aside in favour of the design prepared by William Footner (Montreal Transcript, 30 April 1844, 2)
CITY HALL AND MARKET, Front Street East at Jarvis Street, 1844. Thomas and Kivas Tully tied for the Third Prize of £6 to each architect. The First Premium of £25 and the commission were awarded to Henry B. Lane (Toronto Herald, 11 April 1844, 2)
TORONTO CUSTOM HOUSE, Front Street West at Yonge Street, 1845. Kivas Tully and Thomas were in direct competition with one another for this important public building, but Tully's plans were selected by the Board of Works (NAC, RG 11, Vol. 93, 1 July 1845, Item 6286)
HOLY TRINITY ANGLICAN CHURCH, off Yonge Street north of Albert Street, 1846. The design by Thomas received First Premium, but Bishop Strachan set aside these plans and commissioned Henry B. Lane to prepare a plan for the church which was eventually built (British Colonist [Toronto], 27 March 1846, 2)
NIAGARA FALLS, ONT., new Suspension Bridge and abutments, 1847 (British Colonist [Toronto], 23 Nov. 1847, 2; Toronto Society of Arts Exhibition Catalogue, 1848, Items 120, 124)
ST. CATHARINES, ONT., Town Hall & Market House, 1848. His design submitted in a competition was passed over and the commission awarded to Kivas Tully (British Colonist [Toronto], 21 July 1848)
ST. JAMES ANGLICAN CHURCH, King Street East at Church Street, 1849. The jury reported 'Mr. Thomas has a design possessing many claims on our admiration, but with the fatal defect of redundancy of roof occassioned by want of clerestory'. The commission was eventually awarded to Cumberland & Ridout (The Church [Toronto], 13 Sept. 1849, 26)
NORMAL SCHOOL, Gould Street, 1850. Thomas was granted a third prize, and Cumberland & Ridout were declared winners (Weekly Globe [Toronto], 4 Oct. 1850, 55)
UNIVERSITY BUILDINGS, University Park, 1851. The scheme prepared by Thomas was awarded Second Premium of £60, with the commission being given to Thomas Young (Globe [Toronto], 9 Dec. 1851, 3; Peterborough Dispatch, 18 Dec. 1851, 3)
ST. THOMAS, ONT., Elgin County Court House, 1852. Thomas was one of three competitors, and John Turner of Brantford was awarded First Prize (Elgin County Archives, Minutes of Provisional Municipal Council, 28 Aug. 1852)
GOVERNMENT HOUSE, University Park, 1853. Thomas was one of several competitors, but the government decided not to proceed with the work (OA, Journal of J.G. Howard, 1849-55, entry for 25 Jan. 1853)
EASTERN MARKET, South Park Street, 1854 (Daily Colonist [Toronto], 10 March 1854, 3, t.c.; Metropolitan Toronto Reference Library, Baldwin Room, Pim Papers, April 1854)
GOULD STREET PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH, 1855. Thomas competed against Joseph Sheard and William Hay, with the premium being awarded to Hay (Historical Sketch of St. James Square Presbyterian Congregation 1853-1903)
HAMILTON, ONT., City Hall & Market Buildings, 1857. Using the pseudonym 'Palladio' the firm of William Thomas & Sons obtained third prize for their competition entry. The First Premium was awarded to Frederick Kortum of Hamilton (Spectator [Hamilton], 2 April 1857, 2)
KINLOSS, ONT., design for the Bruce County Court House & Gaol, 1858. The scheme was never realised because the county seat was moved to Walkerton (N. Robertson, History of the County of Bruce, 1906, 85)
OTTAWA, ONT., Parliament Buildings, 1859. Thomas was one of sixteen architects who submitted competitive designs, but his scheme was rejected and his drawings returned to his office in Toronto (NAC, RG11, cxxxi, Outgoing Correspondence, 17 Sept. 1859, Letter 29187; Carolyn Young, The Glory of Ottawa: Canada's First Parliament Buildings, 1995, 118). The schemes prepared by Fuller & Jones and by Stent & Laver were declared winners.
HOUSE OF REFUGE, Don River at Gerrard Street, 1859. The entry by Thomas was passed over in favour of that submitted by John Tully (City of Toronto Council Minutes, 1859, 204)