Simpson, Henry

SIMPSON, Henry (1865-1926), a talented and prolific architect active in Toronto, Ont. for the duration of his career, and who operated an office either under his own name, or in partnership with others including:

Gibson & Simpson, 1889-1890
Henry Simpson, 1891-1896
Simpson & Ellis, June 1897- October 1898
Henry Simpson, 1900-1907
Simpson & Young, 1907-1910
Henry Simpson, 1911-1916

His name can be associated with more than 120 architectural projects for institutional, ecclesiastical, commercial, educational, industrial and residential buildings not only in Toronto, but as far north as Port Arthur, Fort William, Parry Sound, Sault Ste. Marie, Midland, Wingham, and even as far west as Prince Albert, Saskatchewan. Born on 7 April 1865 at Toronto, Ont., he articled under E.J. Lennox, a leading Toronto architect, in 1883-86, and likely completed his training in New York City. In 1887 he was recorded as an early member of the Architectural Draftsman’s Association of Toronto (a precursor of the Ontario Assoc. of Architects, formed in 1889), but he was noted as having “…gone to New York City” in January 1887, and he may have lived and worked there for a brief period (Minute Book of the Architectural Draftsman’s Association of Toronto, 1886-88, 286).

In 1889 he formed a partnership with Charles J. Gibson (see works under Gibson & Simpson), but their collaboration appears to have been brief and lasted less than two years. Simpson then opened his own office in 1891, and worked alone until June 1897 when he and James Ellis, another successful architect in Toronto, formed a new partnership. This too was shortlived, and dissolved in October 1898. After working alone for the next decade, Simpson joined with Robert M. Young to form another partnership in 1907, but this ended in late 1910 when Young departed to work as an engineer.

Simpson was a talented delineator and a capable designer who employed a wide range of fashionable and eclectic architectural styles including Romanesque Revival (Cooke’s Church, 1891), and Venetian Gothic (evident in his impressive design for Bethany Chapel, 1892), and an elaborate and formal Edwardian style (used to great effect for his design of the Public School in Paris, Ont., 1907-09). Many of his impressive original presentation drawings from his own hand were signed “Henry Simpson, del.” and were published in monthly editions of the Canadian Architect & Builder between 1891 and 1898. He took a keen interest in employing new materials in his buildings, using these commissions to demonstrate the versatility of a particular product. For the Metallic Roofing Company Showroom (1896), he employed pressed sheet metal elements in every conceivable manner for exterior columns, cornices, canopies, fascia, roof cladding, mouldings and for door and window frames. His design for the substantial brick residence of John Price (1900), the well-known Toronto brick manufacturer, gave Simpson the opportunity to create a show-piece, displaying the Price brick products as he made use of bull-nose brick, chamfered brick, voussoirs brick, semi-circular brick, as well as brick arches over windows and exterior arches on the south verandah. This house still stands on the west side of Greenwood Avenue, south of Dundas Street East (extant 2014).

In his social life, he was a prominent member of the congregation of Cooke’s Church (a building of his own design), and he was said to have possessed “….considerable skill as a ventriloquist, and was a well-known figure at church entertainments where his humour regularly secured keen appreciation” (obituary note in The Mail & Empire [Toronto], 17 Dec. 1926, 14). He took a special interest in the education of young children, and he served on the Toronto Board of Education for five years. Simpson retired from the profession in 1921 and died in Toronto on 16 December 1926 at the age of 62 years (obit. with port. Toronto Telegram, 17 Dec. 1926, 31 and 41; Toronto Star, 17 Dec. 1926, 13; Globe [Toronto], 17 Dec. 1926, 12; Canadian Engineer [Montreal], li, 28 Dec. 1926, 762; Const. xx, Jan. 1927, 34; R.A.I.C. Journal, iv, Jan. 1927, xxxviii; biog. and list of works in Toronto Illustrated 1893 - Its Growth & Resources, 1893, 151, illus.; inf. Wendy Hutchings, Orillia, Ont.). A photographic portrait of Simpson taken in 1898 was published in Ireland & Bundy Pub. Co., The Parry Sound Directory 1898-99, pub. 1898, 28, illus.

H. SIMPSON

VICTORIA INDUSTRIAL SCHOOL FOR BOYS, Lakeshore Boulevard West, Mimico, new classrooms and Assemby Hall, 1891; Dining Hall and office building, 1892; reconstruction after a fire, 1906 (C.A.B., iv, March 1891, illus.; Globe [Toronto], 1 June 1891, 2, descrip.; C.R., iii, 9 July 1892, 1, t.c.; xvii, 21 March 1906, 5)
COOKE'S PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH, Queen Street East at Mutual Street, 1891-92; demol. 1984 (Globe [Toronto], 27 July 1891, 3, descrip.; 16 May 1892, 8, descrip.; C.A.B., vi, April 1893, illus.; J.R. Robertson, Landmarks of Toronto, iv, 1904, 234-6, illus. & descrip.)
DOWLING AVENUE, near King Street West, residence for Mrs. Bedford, 1891 (C.R., ii, 19 Sept. 1891, 2, descrip.)
ALEXANDRA INDUSTRIAL SCHOOL FOR GIRLS, East Toronto Village, 1891-92 (C.R., ii, 3 Oct. 1891, 1; C.A.B., v, June 1892, illus.)
QUEEN STREET EAST, at Hamilton Street, stores and dwellings for Joseph White, 1892 (Toronto b.p. 886, 22 June 1892)
BETHANY CHAPEL, University Avenue at Christopher Street, 1892; demol. 1910 (C.A.B., vi, April 1893, illus.; W. Dendy, Lost Toronto, 1978, 140-1, illus. & descrip.)
ISOLATION HOSPITAL, Gerrard Street East on the east bank of the Don River, 1892; demol. (C.R., iii, 16 April 1892, 2; C.A.B., v, Dec. 1892, illus.)
SHUTER STREET, near Sumach Street, pair of residences for Robert Davies, 1892 (Toronto b.p. 1136, 26 Oct. 1892; C.A.B., v, Dec. 1892, illus.)
EAST TORONTO PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH, Swanwick Avenue, 1893 (C.R., iii, 14 Jan. 1893, 1, t.c.)
MADISON AVENUE, near Lowther Avenue, residence for Jane Stewart, 1893 (C.R., iv, 25 May 1893, 1; C.A.B., ix, April 1896, illus.; inf. Catherine Nasmith, Toronto)
BATHURST STREET, near Wells Street, residence for J.R. Dunn, 1893 (C.A.B., vi, Aug. 1893, illus.)
BROOKLYN AVENUE, near Queen Street East, residence for William G. Shaw, 1893 (Toronto b.p. 1411, 7 Aug. 1893)
METALLIC ROOFING CO., King Street West at Dufferin Street, factory, 1895-96; demol. 1982; Showroom, 1896, relocated on Atlantic Avenue in 1985 (C.A.B., viii, Dec. 1895, illus.; Canadian Engineer, iii, March 1896, 307-8, illus. & descrip.; Toronto Architectural Eighteen Club Catalogue, 1902, 107, illus.)
GRAND OPERA HOTEL, also called Worden House, for Jethro Worden, Adelaide Street West at Johnson Street, 1896; demol. (C.A.B., viii, Sept. 1895, illus.; Toronto b.p. 3114, 29 Feb. 1896)
HILLSDALE, ONT., Presbyterian Church, 1896 (C.R., vii, 30 April 1896, 2, t.c.)

SIMPSON & ELLIS

PARRY SOUND, ONT., Oddfellows Hall, for the I.O.O.F., 1897 (C.R., viii, 8 April 1897, 2, descrip.; Parry Sound Directory, 1898-99, illus.)
PARRY SOUND, ONT., residence for Mrs. Bryson, Church Street, 1897 (C.R., viii, 15 April 1897, 3; Parry Sound Directory, 1898-99, 25, illus.)
GREENWOOD AVENUE, south of Gerrard Street, residence for John Price, 1897 (C.R., viii, 15 April 1897, 4)
PARRY SOUND, ONT., Post Office, James Street, 1897 (C.R., viii, 22 July 1897, 3; Parry Sound Directory, 1898-99, 28, illus.)
PARRY SOUND, ONT., residence for Frederick F. Walton, 1898 (C.R., ix, 2 March 1898, 2)
EAST TORONTO VILLAGE, Public School, Mary Street [now Kimberly Avenue], near Gerrard Street East, 1897-98 (Globe [Toronto], 29 Jan. 1898, 17; inf. Barbara Myrvold, Toronto Public Library)
BERKELEY STREET, at Shuter Street, store and residence for Richard Magone, 1898 (C.R., ix, 2 March 1898, 4)
BRUNSWICK AVENUE, north of College Street, residence for Reuben Armstrong, 1898 (Toronto b.p. 135, 13 May 1898)
KING STREET WEST, near Dunn Avenue, residence for Dr. Joseph Bascom, 1898 (Toronto b.p. 134, 13 May 1898)
PORT ARTHUR, ONT., residence for J.L. Meikle, 1898 (C.R., ix, 30 March 1898, 2)
PARRY SOUND, ONT., block of stores for John McLellan, 1898 (C.R., ix, 30 March 1898, 2)
FORT WILLIAM, ONT., row of houses for Joseph G. King, 1898 (C.R., ix, 30 March 1898, 3)
SHAW STREET, north of Harbord Street, residence for William J. Bradley, 1898 (Toronto b.p. 105, 23 April 1892)
PORT ARTHUR, ONT., Emerson Block, for J.T. Emerson, Cumberland Street at Lorne Street, 1898 (C.R., ix, 25 May 1898, 2)
PORT ARTHUR, ONT., residence for William F. Langworthy, Arthur Street at Regent Street, 1898 (C.R., ix, 25 May 1898, 2)
FORT WILLIAM, ONT., residence for Miss Lizzie Publow, 1898 (C.R., ix, 25 May 1898, 2)
FORT WILLIAM, ONT., residence for Mr. Cameron, 'Superintendent of the C.P.R.', 1898 (C.R., ix, 25 May 1898, 2; C.A.B., xi, Aug. 1898, illus.)
SCARBOROUGH JUNCTION, Public School for S.S. No. 9, 1898 (C.R., ix, 25 May 1898, 4)
PRINCE ALBERT, SASK., Public School, 1898 (C.R., ix, 25 May 1898, 4)
PARKDALE PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH, Dunn Avenue, new Sunday School, 1898; Clubhouse, 1909 (C.R., ix, 20 July 1898, 1; Toronto b.p. 18181, 13 Nov. 1909)

H. SIMPSON

Ecclesiastical & Institutional Works

SAULT STE. MARIE, ONT., Methodist Sunday School, 1900; Central Methodist Church, Spring Street at Albert Street, 1903-05 (C.R., xi, 16 May 1900, 3; xiv, 6 May 1903, 2, t.c.; Sault Star, 26 Feb. 1903, 1; dwgs. at NAC, Hart Massey Coll., 756/23090). The design by Simpson was later rejected for cost reasons, the commission was handed to James Thomson, a local architect in Sault Ste. Marie (inf. Chris Tossell, Sault Ste. Marie).
PARRY SOUND, ONT., St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church, 1900 (C.R., xi, 9 May 1900, 2, t.c.)
PARRY SOUND, ONT., office block for the North Star newspaper, James Street, 1900 (C.R., xi, 9 May 1900, 2)
STURGEON FALLS, ONT., Public School, 1900 (C.R., xi, 13 June 1900, 3, t.c.)
PARRY SOUND, ONT., East Ward School, 1901 (C.R., xii, 27 March 1901, 2, t.c.)
MIDLAND, ONT., Knox Presbyterian Church, 1902-03 (Knox Presbyterian Church Midland - Jubilee Year 1924, illus.)
MIDLAND, ONT., High School, Sixth Street, 1904 (E. Shushan, Midland's Yesterday's, 1967, 14)
KEELEY INSTITUTE, Dundas Street West at Conduit Street, for George Griffith, 1904 (Toronto b.p. 146, 5 April 1904)
WINGHAM, ONT., High School, 1906 (C.R., xvii, 16 May 1906, 2, t.c.)
PORT ARTHUR, ONT., Cornwall Public School, Algoma Street South, 1906; St. James Street Public School, 1907 (C.R., xvii, 18 July 1906, 4; Lakehead Board of Education, letter book, 20 April 1906)

Commercial & Industrial Works

IXL LAUNDRY CO., McCaul Street at Renfrew Place, 1898-99 (C.R., ix, 9 Nov. 1898, 1, t.c.; Toronto b.p. 161, 29 Dec. 1898)
PARRY SOUND, ONT., addition to the Masonic Block, 1898 (C.R., ix, 28 Sept. 1898, 3)
QUEEN STREET EAST, at Broadview Avenue, two stores for Albert E. Walton, 1899 (C.R., x, 14 June 1899, 1, t.c.)
SIMCOE STREET, at Nelson Street, warehouse for Walter H. Smith, 1902 (Toronto b.p. 294, 14 March 1902)
JOHN F. BROWN FURNITURE CO., Yonge Street near Queen Street East, store and warehouse and residence, 1903; altered 1910 by J. Wilson Gray (C.A.B., xvi, Oct. 1903, illus.; P. Dilse, Toronto's Theatre Block: An Architectural History, 1989, 21-2, illus.)
DELAWARE AVENUE, near Hepbourne Street, residence for Mr. Sharp, 1904 (Toronto b.p. 380, 5 May 1904)
PARISIAN LAUNDRY CO., King Street West at Portland Street, warehouse, 1904 (Toronto b.p. 665, 13 June 1904)
I.D. BRADSHAW & CO., Atlantic Avenue near Liberty Street, factory, 1905 (Toronto b.p. 333, 8 March 1905)
BRUNSWICK BALKE & COLLENDER CO., Liberty Street near Atlantic Avenue, factory, 1905; 1907 (Toronto b.p. 393, 22 March 1905; 9313, 11 Oct. 1907)
T. EATON CO. DEPARTMENT STORE, Yonge Street near Queen Street, major addition, 1905; demol. 1976 (Toronto b.p. 1390, 3 July 1905)
ROBERT J. CLUFF & CO., Lombard Street near Victoria Street, warehouse, 1906; demol. 1958 (Toronto b.p. 3040, 6 March 1906)
PROCTOR HOUSE HOTEL, King Street East at Sumach Street, 1906; demol. (C.R., xvii, 12 Sept. 1906, 4, t.c.)
CHAPMAN CO., Sorauren Avenue near Geoffrey Street, factory, 1906 (Toronto b.p. 5762, 29 Oct. 1906)
MUSSEN BOOK CO., Richmond Street West at Duncan Street, warehouse, 1907 (C.R., xviii, 27 March 1907, 8)
NORTHERN HOTEL, Yonge Street opposite Scollard Street, 1907 (Toronto b.p. 8498, 17 July 1907)
HOME FURNITURE CO., Queen Street East at Parliament Street, store and warehouse, 1907 (Toronto b.p. 7859, 1 June 1907)
ALUMINUM CROWN STOPPER CO., King Street East at Parliament Street, factory, 1907 (C.R., xviii, 28 Aug. 1907, 4; Toronto b.p. 9405, 22 Oct. 1907)
STRAND HOTEL, Victoria Street north of Lombard Street, 1907 (C.R., xviii, 25 Sept. 1907, 6; Toronto b.p. 9224, 1 Oct. 1907)

Residential Works

MARKHAM STREET, north of Dundas Street West, for James Fox, 1898 (Toronto b.p. 11, 25 Aug. 1898)
GIVENS STREET, at Dundas Street West, row of seven houses for James McIntosh, 1898 (Toronto b.p. 72, 29 Sept. 1898)
SPADINA AVENUE, south of Bloor Street West, two houses for Samuel Richardson, 1899-1900 (Toronto b.p. 57, 15 Nov. 1899; C.A.B., xv, Sept. 1902, illus.)
CLAREMONT STREET, north of Dundas Street West, pair of houses for John Graydon, 1899 (Toronto b.p. 230, 31 Aug. 1899)
GREENWOOD AVENUE, south of Dundas Street East, for John Price, 1900 (C.R., xi, 13 June 1900, 3)
MANNING AVENUE, near Ulster Street, pair of houses for Charles B. Edward, 1900 (C.R., xi, 25 July 1900, 6)
CLOSE AVENUE, south of King Street West, residence for the architect, 1900 (C.R., xi, 31 Oct. 1900, 3)
SHERBOURNE STREET, at Carlton Street, for Abraham M. Orpen, c. 1900 (Toronto Architectural Eighteen Club Catalogue, 1902, 107, illus.)
WOODBINE AVENUE, south of Queen Street East, for Richard E. Chadd, 1901 (C.R., xii, 13 Feb. 1901, 4)
PAPE AVENUE, south of Withrow Avenue, for William Harris, 1901 (Toronto b.p. 82, 28 June 1901; Toronto Architectural Eighteen Club Catalogue, 1901, 147, illus.)
BEECH AVENUE, at Queen Street East, for William Trimble, 1901 (C.R., xii, 24 April 1901, 6)
DOVERCOURT ROAD, north of College Street, for Mrs. L. Teeter, 1901 (C.R., xii, 8 May 1901, 5)
CALLENDAR STREET, near Harvard Avenue, pair of houses for Thomas W. Murray, 1901 (Toronto b.p. 283, 13 May 1901)
TYNDALL AVENUE, near King Street West, for Robert McGill, 1901 (Toronto b.p. 32, 5 June 1901)
MURRAY STREET, for Fred Dane, 1901 (C.R., xii, 26 June 1901, 3, t.c.)
CRESCENT ROAD, near South Drive, for Charles Norris, 1901 (Toronto b.p. 52, 6 Nov. 1901)
UNIVERSITY AVENUE, near Armoury Street, for Charles Burns, 1901; demol. (Toronto b.p. 59, 8 Nov. 1901)
MURRAY STREET, for Mrs. Elizabeth McMullen, 1902 (C.R., xii, 8 Jan. 1902, 2)
MAPLE AVENUE, near Glen Road, for Alexander Burgess, 1902 (Toronto b.p. 363, 11 Sept. 1902)
MAYNARD AVENUE, residence for Samuel Richardson, 1902-03 (Toronto b.p. 600, 18 Nov. 1902; inf. Robin T. Burgoyne, Toronto)
ADMIRAL ROAD, near Lowther Avenue, for Phillip Davis, 1902-03 (Toronto b.p. 648, 10 Dec. 1902)
ADMIRAL ROAD, near Lowther Avenue, for George Castle, 1902 (Toronto b.p. 650, 11 Dec. 1902)
RATHNELLY AVENUE, pair of houses for James G. Ramsey, 1903 (Toronto b.p. 1964, 6 Nov. 1903)
CRESCENT ROAD, near Lamport Avenue, for George Milligan, 1903 (Toronto b.p. 1568, 21 Aug. 1903)
CRESCENT ROAD, near South Drive, for Joseph H. McGregor, 1904; coach house, 1908 (dwgs. at OA, D. Coll. 1772-81; 1800-01; inf. from Stephen Otto)
WALMER ROAD, near Bernard Avenue, for G. Davidson, 1904 (Toronto b.p. 768, 29 June 1904)
JAMESON AVENUE, near Leopold Street, for Thomas W. Murray, 1904 (Toronto b.p. 767, 29 June 1904)
SPADINA ROAD, near Bernard Avenue, for Miss Jane Bailey, 1905 (Toronto b.p. 870, 16 May 1905)
PALMERSTON AVENUE, at Bloor Street West, for Dr. Edward Hoidge, 1905 (Toronto b.p. 2081, 22 Sept. 1905; Const., i, March 1908, 49-50, illus.)
FARNHAM AVENUE, for John Alexander, 1906 (C.R., xvii, 21 March 1906, 7)
SHERBOURNE STREET NORTH, near Maple Avenue, for Thomas Rennie, 1906 (Toronto b.p. 4807, 3 Aug. 1906)
BEDFORD ROAD, near Lowther Avenue, for Humphrey E. Bydwell, 1906 (Toronto b.p. 3 Aug. 1906)
ADMIRAL ROAD, near Lowther Avenue, for Joseph D. Prentis, 1906 (Toronto b.p. 4844, 8 Aug. 1906)
BROADVIEW AVENUE, near Riverdale Avenue, for Albert E. Walton, 1906 (C.R., xvii, 18 July 1906, 6)
CLARENDON AVENUE, near Poplar Plains Road, for Solomon Lorie, 1906 (Toronto b.p. 5289, 14 Sept. 1906; Const., June 1909, 84-6, illus. & descrip.)
WELLESLEY STREET EAST, east of Yonge Street, for Dr. B.E. Hawke, 1906 (Toronto b.p. 5720, 24 Oct. 1906; Western Architect [Minneapolis], xv, March 1910, illus.)
LAXTON AVENUE, for Charles A. Stone, 1907 (C.R., xvii, 6 Feb. 1907, 6, t.c.)
DUNDONALD STREET, for James L. Hughes, 1907 (C.R., xviiI, 6 Feb. 1907, 6, t.c.; Western Architect [Minneapolis], xv, March 1910, illus.)
ISABELLA STREET, near Yonge Street, for James Glanville, 1907 (C.R., xviii, 27 March 1907, 8)
NEW LISKEARD, ONT., a mansion for H.H. Hartman, 1907 (New Liskeard Speaker, 5 July 1907, 6, descrip.)

SIMPSON & YOUNG

ISSAC D. BRADSHAW GUM CO., Atlantic Avenue at Hanna Avenue, addition to factory, 1907 (C.R., xviii, 9 Oct. 1907, 2)
PARLIAMENT HOUSE HOTEL, King Street East at Parliament Street, 1907; demol. (Toronto b.p. 9368, 18 Oct. 1907)
PARIS, ONT., Central School, Grand River Street North, 1907-09; demol. 1974 (C.R., xviii, 30 Oct. 1907, 2, t.c.; Star-Transcript [Paris], 1 Sept. 1909, 1, 8, descrip. & illus.)
DUNDONALD STREET, residence for Miss Jessie Semple, 1908 (Const., i, June 1908, 66)
SELLERS-GOUGH FUR CO., Yonge Street near Dundas Street East, addition 1908; warehouse, 1912 (C.R., xix, 18 March 1908, 18; xxvi, 3 Jan. 1912, 67)
MARKHAM STREET, at Ulster Street, residence for Robert I. Henderson, 1908 (C.R., xxii, 7 Oct. 1908, 27)
CARLAW AVENUE, at Withrow Avenue, store and dwelling for J. Paterson, 1908 (C.R., xxii, 4 Nov. 1908, 26)
PORT ARTHUR, ONT., Collegiate Institute, Red River Road, 1909 (Daily News [Port Arthur], 18 May 1909, 1, descrip.)
BROADVIEW AVENUE, at Bain Avenue, residence for William T. Harris, 1909; demol. (Toronto b.p. 14525, 1 April 1909; Const., iv, Nov. 1911, 77, illus.)
OSBORNE APARTMENTS, King Street West near Jameson Avenue, for Thomas McIlwaine, 1909 (Toronto b.p. 14100, 6 March 1909)
ALTONA, ONT., School for S.S. No. 17, 1909 (C.R., xxiii, 21 July 1909, 21)
WILLARD APARTMENTS, King Street West at Triller Avenue, two blocks on opposite corners, 1909-10 (Toronto b.p. 18422, 29 Nov. 1909; Const., vi, June 1913, 260, illus.)
HOTEL CLARKE, Simcoe Street at Adelaide Street West, 1909-10 (Toronto b.p. 18440, 1 Dec. 1909)
PARKDALE PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH, Dunn Avenue, new Club House (now called the Institute Building), 1909-10 (Toronto b.p. 18181, 13 Nov. 1909)
HIGHLAND AVENUE, at Glen Road, residence for Jesse Applegath, 1910 (Toronto b.p. 19123, 28 Feb. 1910)
HAMPTON APARTMENTS, Winchester Street at Metcalf Street, 1910 (Toronto b.p. 19424, 23 March 1910; Const., vi, June 1913, 264, illus.)
DOVERCOURT PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH, Dovercourt Road at Hepbourne Street, new Sunday School, 1910 (Toronto b.p. 19671, 8 April 1910; Const., iv, March 1911, 64, illus.)
WHITNEY AVENUE, near Glen Road, residence for Mrs. J.A. McGillvray, 1910 (Toronto b.p. 11464, 19 July 1910)

H. SIMPSON

RUSHOLME ROAD, near Hepbourne Street, residence for William Holtby, 1911 (Toronto b.p. 28054, 9 June 1911)
RUSHOLME ROAD, near Hepbourne Street, residence for James D. Holtby, 1911 (Toronto b.p. 31171, 25 Oct. 1911)
TRILLER AVENUE, near King Street West, residence for the architect, 1912 (inf. from Toronto Historical Board; Globe & Mail [Toronto], 16 March 2018, H 8, illus. & descrip.)
CASTLEMERE APARTMENTS, Crescent Road at Rosedale Road, for Dr. S.F. Floyd, 1912 (Toronto b.p. 33420, 20 April 1912)
CHESNUT PARK ROAD, near Roxborough Street East, residence for Austin J. Gough, 1912 (Toronto b.p. 32772, 4 March 1912)
INDIAN ROAD, near High Park Boulevard, residence for Hiram M. Mulholland, 1912 (Toronto b.p. 37038, 3 Sept. 1912)
RUSSELL HILL ROAD, near Heath Street, residence for Thomas McQuillan, 1914 (Toronto b.p. 11992, 29 May 1914)
BROWN'S BRASS & COPPER ROLLING MILLS, Lakeshore Road near Eighth Street, New Toronto, boarding house and office building, 1916-17 (Const., ix, Oct. 1916, 362; xi, May 1918, 157, illus. & descrip.)

COMPETITIONS

ST. THOMAS, ONT., Central Public School, 1897. The Toronto firm of Simpson & Ellis were one of 17 entrants who submitted designs for this large four storey building containing 20 classrooms. A perspective view of their elaborate Romanesque Revival design, signed “H. Simpson, del.” was published in Canadian Architect & Builder, xi, April 1898, illus. plate. Their design was not among the finalists, and Evan T. MacDonald of St. Thomas was declared the winner.
TORONTO, ONT., Canadian Manufacturer’s Association Archway, University Avenue, 1901. Simpson submitted an elaborate Renaissance Revival design for an archway to commemorate the visit of the Duke of York, and for his effort he was awarded Second Premium. A perspective and plan of his scheme appeared in Canadian Architect & Builder, xiv, Aug. 1901, plate. The First Prize was awarded to Simpson’s former partner Charles J. Gibson.