Cullerne, Harold

CULLERNE, Harold (1890-1976) was born in Slaithwaite, Yorkshire, Engl. on 24 May 1890 and articled with E.G. Davies of Hereford from April 1906 to April 1909. He moved to London and worked in the offices of R.L. Coll and with W. Ernest Hazell while studying architecture and building construction at the Regent Street Polytechnical Inst. Cullerne then emigrated to Canada in April 1912 and settled in Vancouver where he found employment in the offices of H.S. Griffith, with Hugh A. Hodgson and with Joseph H. Bowman, with whom he was to later form a partnership. After serving with Canadian Forces during WWI he returned to Vancouver in July 1919 and resumed his career, and from 1922 to 1932 was a partner with J.H. Bowman (see list of works under Bowman & Cullerne). From 1933 Cullerne practiced under his own name until his retirment in 1967. He died in North Burnaby on 8 March 1976 (death notice Province [Vancouver], 9 March 1976, 24; Vancouver Sun, 9 March 1976, 43; D. Luxton, Building The West: The Early Architects of British Columbia, 2003, 438-9, 496; inf. Architectural Inst. of British Columbia)

VANCOUVER

FAIRMONT ACADEMY, East 11th Avenue near Main Street, 1929 (dwgs. Vancouver City Archives)
HOLLYWOOD THEATRE, West Broadway near Balaclava Street, 1936 (dwgs. Vancouver City Archives)
MORAVIAN EVANGELICAL CHURCH, East 58th Avenue near Fraser Street, 1936 (dwgs. Vancouver City Archives)
GLENBURN DAIRY CO., East Hastings Street at Boundary Road, 1937 (dwgs. Vancouver City Archives)
ST FRANCIS OF ASSISI ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH & FRIARY, Semlin Drive at Napier Street, c. 1938 (dwgs. Vancouver City Archives)
WEST COAST WOOLEN MILLS, Clark Drive, 1941 (dwgs. Vancouver City Archives)
DUNBAR HEIGHTS UNITED CHURCH, 24th Avenue at Collingwood Street, 1946 (inf. United Church Archives, Toronto)
VANCOUVER CURLING CLUB, Dinmont Avenue, 1948 (dwgs. Vancouver City Archives)

ELSEWHERE

CHILLIWACK, B.C., Agricultural Building & Auditorium, at the Fairgrounds, 1935 (Chilliwack Progress, 1 Aug. 1935, 1)
MISSION CITY, B.C., Canadian Legion Auditorium, Lougheed Highway at Washington Street, 1936 (British Columbian [New Westminster], 13 Jan. 1936, 3, illus. & descrip.; Chilliwack Progress, 30 Jan. 1936, 8, illus. & descrip.)
SURREY, B.C., public school, 1940 (C.R., liii, 3 April 1940, 22)
MATSQUI VILLAGE, B.C., public school, 1941 (Chilliwack Progress, 11 June 1941, 6, t.c.)
(with E. Evans & Son) BURNABY, B.C., High School, 1942 (R.A.I.C. Journal, xix, May 1942, 124)
NEW WESTMINSTER, B.C., apartment block for J.L. Carroll, Royal Avenue, 1945 (C.R., xviii, Nov. 1945, 114)
BURNABY, B.C., Capitol Hill Community Hall, Howard Avenue, 1944-46 (inf. Donald Luxton)
SURREY, B.C., Junior-Senior High School, 1948 (C.R., lxi, Jan. 1948, 178)
BURNABY, B.C., public school, 1948 (C.R., lxi, Feb. 1948, 167)
ABBOTSFORD, B.C., Canadian Legion Building, 1948 (Chilliwack Progress, 28 July 1948, 5)
SECHELT, B.C., school for District No. 46, 1949 (C.R., lxii, July 1949, 133)
(with G.N. Evans) BURNABY, B.C., Edmonds Junior High School, Edmonds Street, 1949 (Burnaby News-Courier, 27 Oct. 1949, 7, illus.)
GIBSONS, B.C., High School, 1950 (Coast News [Gibsons], 17 July 1950, 1 & 2)

COMPETITIONS

DOMINION HOUSING ACT, National Competition, 1938. Over 300 designs were sent in as part of national competition for a Minimum Cost House. Cullerne was one of ten prize winners who each received $250 for their effort. His design was illustrated and described in the Financial Post [Toronto], 19 Feb. 1938, 10, illus.