DEMAR, Edward (1864 - 1922) of Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan, USA teamed up with Robert Murdoch of Sault Ste. Marie, Ont. to form a trans-borner partnership in 1907 and designed the Carnegie Library, Queen Street, SAULT STE. MARIE, ONT., built 1908; demol. 1975 (M. Beckman, The Best Gift, 1984, 185). The library building was actually a complete reconstruction of the former City Hall, designed in 1902 by H.R. Halton and gutted by fire in 1907. Demar was born at Rouses Point, N.Y. on 10 July 1864 and was brought to Toronto by his family in 1870. He was educated and trained there before moving to Winnipeg in 1883. He worked for himself in Brandon and Regina in 1884, then moved to Marquette, Mich. in 1886 and opened an office there in partnership with Andrew W. Lovejoy (as Lovejoy & Demar, Architects), remaining until 1898. He was active in Milwaukee, Wisc. in 1899-1901 as a partner in the firm of Charlton & Demar, and in late 1901 commenced practise in Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan where he designed the Masonic Temple, the Newton Block, the Presbyterian Church, Loretto Academy and the Adams Block (1903). In c. 1907 he joined Robert Murdoch of Ontario in partnership. In 1909 Demar & Murdoch also designed the public school at THESSALON, ONT. (C.R., xxiii, 9 June 1909, 22). A biography of Demar can be found in A.L. Sawyer, History of the Northern Peninsula of Michigan and Its People, 1911, iii, 1267-68. Demar died at Berkeley, Calif. on 27 April 1922.