Busch, Henry Frederick

BUSCH, Henry Frederick (1826-1902) practised in Halifax, Nova Scotia from 1862 until his death there in 1902. A native of Hamburg, Germany he was born there on 6 January 1826 and is said to have spent a number of years in Austria and Russian Poland before arriving in the state of Kentucky in 1847 (Report of the Provincial Museum of Nova Scotia, 1933-34, 39). The climate of the southern United States was not amenable to his health, and acting on the advice of physicians he moved north to the residence of his uncle Charles Walters, a boat builder at Chester, Nova Scotia in the late 1850's. An offer of employment as a draftsman with the well-known Halifax architect Henry Elliot was accepted in 1860, and within months Busch was capably handling large commissions within the office such as the creation of a new Public Library at Province House, Hollis Street, Halifax (1862). This apprenticeship culminated in a full partnership from 1863 to 1877, after which time the firm of Elliot & Busch was dissolved and both architects launched their own separate careers. Busch attracted attention in 1878 when his competitive designs for the Halifax County Academy were awarded first prize. This finely proportioned Second Empire style design still stands today and serves as the headquarters for the Halifax Board of School Commissioners. Its formal axial composition with a central tower and cupola was a theme Busch was to use frequently in his later work, including the Pictou Academy (1879) and in the Court House, Lunenburg, N.S. (1891-92). His most admired work in Halifax is the Church of England Institute (1888), a carefully crafted asymmetrical design dominated by a bold corner turret and spire that forms a distinctive landmark on Barrington Street. Busch registered as a Canadian citizen in September 1874 (PANS, Naturalization Papers, RG 18, Series A, i, 25A), and married the daughter of Capt. John Skinner. In later years he was assisted in his office by his son Ernest, and by a second son Walter Busch, who continued the practise after his father's death in Halifax on 28 January 1902. A photographic portrait of Henry Busch can be found in the Nova Scotia Museum, Photo Coll., Acc. 7761. (obituary in the Halifax Evening Mail, 29 Jan. 1902, 5; Halifax Herald, 29 Jan 1902, 1, 10; biography in the Dictionary of Canadian Biography, xiii, 1994, 141-42; biography in M. Rosinski, Architects of Nova Scotia: A Biographical Dictionary, 1994, 114-15; inf. G. Shutlak)

HALIFAX

PUBLIC LIBRARY, PROVINCE HOUSE, Hollis Street, 1862 (Halifax Evening Express, 12 Feb. 1862, 2, descrip.; with correction by Henry Elliot giving attribution to Busch, 3 March 1862, 2)
UNION MARINE INSURANCE BUILDING, Bedford Row, 1862 (Halifax Reporter, 27 Feb. 1862, 2, col. 6, descrip.)
GOTTINGEN STREET, 'Fernbank', residence for J. Wesley Smith, 1877 (Nova Scotia Museum, notes of H. Piers)
HALIFAX COUNTY ACADEMY AND HIGH SCHOOL, South Brunswick Street at Sackville Street, 1878 (Acadian Recorder [Halifax], 16 April 1878, 2, t.c.; dwgs. at the Halifax Board of School Commissioners Office; M. Logan, A History of the Halifax Grammar School, 1936, 14-15)
PARKER'S MARKET, Barrington Street at Buckingham Street, 1880; burned 1934 (Nova Scotian [Halifax], 25 Dec. 1880, 3)
HOME FOR THE AGED (later Victoria Hall), Gottingen Street near North Street, 1884 (Acadian Recorder [Halifax], 26 Feb. 1884, 2, col. 6, t.c.; E. Pacey & A. Comiter, Landmarks: Historic Buildings of Nova Scotia, 1994, 174-5, illus.)
MAYFLOWER TOBACCO CO., Cornwallis Street near North Park, factory building, 1884 (Acadian Recorder [Halifax], 29 May 1884, 3)
BARRINGTON STREET, loft building for Mr. Cleverdon, 1884 (Acadian Recorder [Halifax], 15 July 1884, 3)
MORRIS STREET SCHOOL ANNEX, 1885 (Report of the Board of School Commissioners for Halifax, 1885, 109)
POOR'S ASYLUM, South Street at Robie Street, 1885-86, demol.; this structure was erected to replace the asylum designed by David Stirling which was destroyed by fire in 1881 (Halifax Citizen, 17 March 1883, 3; P. Blakeley, Glimpses of Halifax, 1949, 84; dwgs. at PANS)
VICTORIA GENERAL HOSPITAL, Tower Road at South Street, extension to the existing building, 1887 (Nova Scotia, Journal of Assembly, 1888, Appendix 3 (b), Public Charities of Nova Scotia) NURSES HOME, 1891 (Halifax Morning Chronicle, 30 June 1891, 3; C.R., ii, 7 Nov. 1891, 1)
BAND STAND, HALIFAX PUBLIC GARDEN, Spring Garden Road, 1887 (Nova Scotia Museum, notes of H. Piers, Acc. Book v, 7761; E. Pacey, Historic Halifax, 1988, 122-23, illus.)
CHURCH OF ENGLAND INSTITUTE, Barrington Street, 1888 (Morning Chronicle [Halifax], 21 May 1886, 2, descrip.; E. Pacey, Historic Halifax, 1988, 88-91, illus.)
ODDFELLOW'S HALL, Buckingham Street, 1891 (Nova Scotia Museum, notes of H. Piers)
SOUTH PARK STREET, residence for William Butler, c. 1892 (Nova Scotia Museum, notes of H. Piers)
BRUNSWICK STREET, near North Street, two houses for John Flinn, 1893 (Halifax Herald, 29 May 1893, 6)
SEYMOUR STREET, residence for Arthur Harrington, 1893 (Halifax Herald, 29 May 1893, 6)
BRENTON PLACE, residence for E.P. Ryan, 1893 (Halifax Herald, 29 May 1893, 6)
YOUNG STREET SCHOOL, at Young Street and Kaye Street, 1893-94 (C.R., iv, 27 July 1893, 1)
SALVATION ARMY BARRACKS, South Brunswick Street, 1893-94 (Halifax Morning Herald, 6 Sept. 1893, 8; E. Pacey, Historic Halifax, 1988, 112-13, illus.)
QUINPOOL ROAD FIRE ENGINE HOUSE, 1893 (Nova Scotia Museum, notes of H. Piers)
BRENTON PLACE, residence for Miss Mary Crane, 1895 (C.R., vi, 9 May 1895, 3)
GOTTINGEN STREET, double house for Miss Hubley and Miss Blakeley, 1895 (C.R., vi, 9 May 1895, 3)
SOUTH STREET, residence for Charles L. Morton, 1895 (Morning Herald [Halifax], 20 Nov. 1895, 6)
PLEASANT STREET, residence for Frank A. Marr, 1895 (Halifax Herald, 4 Jan. 1896, 9, illus.)
BRUNSWICK STREET, residence for John H. Bertram, 1896 (Morning Chronicle [Halifax], 21 Nov. 1896, 6)
SACKVILLE STREET, commercial block for the Dillon Brothers, 1896-97 (Morning Chronicle [Halifax], 21 Nov. 1896, 6; C.R., ix, 25 May 1898, 6)
GOTTINGEN STREET, residence for Dr. Hartley S. Jacques, 1896 (Morning Chronicle [Halifax], 21 Nov. 1896, 6)
GOTTINGEN STREET, residence for Archibald McCoughan, 1896 (Morning Chronicle [Halifax], 21 Nov. 1896, 6)
BARRINGTON STREET, commercial block for Hamilton & Outhit, 1897 (Morning Chronicle, [Halifax], 25 Feb. 1897, 6)
PRINCE STREET, commercial block for Henry W. Barnes, 1898 (C.R., ix, 25 May 1898, 3, t.c.)
GOTTINGEN STREET, commercial block for Mrs. Murphy, 1899 (Evening Mail [Halifax], 21 July 1899, 7)

ELSEWHERE

DARTMOUTH, N.S., Dartmouth Methodist Church, Ochterloney Street at King Street, additions and alterations, 1877 (Halifax Citizen, 3 Feb. 1877, 2)
TRURO, N.S., Provincial Normal School, Prince Street, 1877-78 (Halifax Morning Chronicle, 9 July 1877, 2, col. 2-4; C. Cameron & J. Wright, Second Empire Style in Canadian Architecture, 1980, 88-89, illus.)
PICTOU, N.S., Pictou Academy, Patterson Street, 1879 (Minute Book of the Pictou Town Council, 24 Aug. 1879; Morning Chronicle [Halifax], 6 Aug. 1879, 2, t.c.)
ANTIGONISH, N.S., College building, 1888 (Halifax Herald, 17 March 1888, 2, t.c.)
SALMON RIVER, HALIFAX CO., Episcopal Church, 1890 (Halifax Herald, 12 May 1890, 2, col. 4, t.c.; dwgs. at PANS)
LUNENBURG, N.S., Zion Lutheran Church, Fox Street at Cornwallis Street, 1890 (Nova Scotia Museum, notes of H. Piers)
LUNENBURG, N.S., Court House and Town Hall, Cumberland Street, 1891-92; altered (Halifax Morning Chronicle, 18 June; 2 Sept. 1891, 3; M. Carter, Early Canadian Court Houses, 1983, 204, illus.)
LUNENBURG, N.S., County Goal, Cumberland Street, 1893 (Town Minutes, Lunenburg, Book 2, 58, entry for 12 Sept. 1892)