Joanes, William A.

JOANES, William A. (c. 1830-1919) of London, Ontario, was born in England and came to Canada before 1867. He apparently had obtained a working knowledge of building design and construction and this, together with his Methodist background, proved to be of use when, in 1867, he was commissioned to prepare plans for the Methodist Episcopal Church, London, a modest Gothic work replaced by a later, more ambitious design which he provided to that same congregation in 1875. Initially Joanes pursued a career in London as a builder, but from 1875 onward his practice appears to have become exclusively architectural in character, and his name is included in classified listings for architects in the London City Directory until 1910. While not as prolific as his rivals George P. Durand, George Craddock and Fred Henry, a number of ecclesiastical and commercial works were erected to his designs, and he was favoured as an architect of private residences located in the wealthy neighbourhoods of Westminster, Kensington, and London South. Little biographical evidence of his career has survived, and his architectural activities have been reconstructed largely from the numerous tender calls and articles describing his buildings which were published in the London Free Press or in the Daily Advertiser. Few, if any, references to his work can be found after 1905, and he died in London, Ont. on 26 August 1919 (Canada, Census for 1871, Ontario-London, Ward 6, page 6; brief biographical note in London And Its Men of Affairs, c. 1915, 114; obituary in the Daily Advertiser [London], 27 Aug. 1919, 3).

LONDON

Commercial & Institutional Works

METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH, North Street at Colborne Street, 1867; replaced with new church by Joanes in 1875-76 (Weekly Advertiser [London], 15 Aug. 1867, 3, descrip.; Daily Advertiser [London], 30 Sept. 1875, 1; 1 May 1876, 1, descrip.)
RICHMOND STREET, store for William Wyatt, 1875 (Daily Advertiser [London], 20 Feb. 1875, 1, t.c.)
STREET RAILWAY CO., office block, Lyle Street near Dundas Street, 1875 (Free Press [London], 13 Aug. 1875, 4, descrip.)
WESLEYAN METHODIST CHURCH, Pall Mall Street, enlargement and alterations, 1875 (Daily Advertiser [London], 17 Aug. 1875, 1, t.c.)
BIBLE CHRISTIAN CHURCH, Elizabeth Street at Dundas Street, 1876 (Daily Advertiser [London], 22 May 1876, 1; 11 Sept. 1876, 4, descrip.)
LONDON EAST PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH, King Street near Adelaide Street, 1876-77 (Daily Advertiser [London], 11 Sept. 1876, 4; t.c.; Free Press [London], 18 April 1877, 4)
LONDON EAST, Oddfellow's Hall and Stores for Samuel Hicks, 1877 (Daily Advertiser [London], 8 May 1877, 1, t.c.)
ANDERSON SCHOOL, addition and alterations, 1878 (Free Press [London], 15 April 1878, 2, t.c.)
CRONYN ANGLICAN MEMORIAL CHURCH, William Street at Queen's Avenue, new transepts, gallery, roof and ceiling, 1879; addition to Sexton's House and addition to Sunday School, 1884 (Daily Advertiser [London], 19 June 1879, 4, t.c.; 1 Nov. 1884, 6, descrip.; Free Press [London], 22 Oct. 1879, 1, descrip.)
CRONYN BUILDING, Market Square through to Dundas Street, a row of six shops, 1880 (Daily Advertiser [London], 23 Feb. 1880, 4, descrip.; Catholic Record [London], 28 Feb. 1880, 5, descrip.)
HURON & ERIE SAVINGS & LOAN BUILDING, Richmond Street near North Street, new facade and extensive alterations, 1880; addition 1891 (Free Press [London], 16 Jan. 1880, 4, descrip.; C.R., ii, 18 July 1891, 2, t.c.)
DUNDAS STREET, near Talbot Street, commercial building at 130 Dundas Street, probably for T.F. Kingsmill, 1880 (Free Press [London], 2 July 1880, 2, t.c.)
TEMPERANCE COFFEE HOUSE, Market Square, 1880 (Daily Advertiser [London], 21 July 1880, 4, descrip.)
FIRST PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH, Clarence Street, new Sunday School, 1881 (Free Press [London], 7 May 1881, 2)
KING STREET, at Talbot Street, commercial block for John Burridge, 1881 (Free Press [London], 14 May 1881, 3)
ANCIENT ORDER OF FORESTERS HALL, Richmond Street, 1882 (Daily Advertiser [London], 27 May 1882, 4, t.c.)
RIDOUT STREET, at York Street, store and residence for James Fitzgibbon, 1882 (Daily Advertiser [London], 15 Nov. 1882, 2, t.c.)
WESTERN UNIVERSITY BUILDING, alterations and improvements, 1883 (Daily Advertiser [London], 26 Sept. 1883, 1, descrip.)
ST. MATTHEW'S ANGLICAN CHURCH, East London, additions and alterations, 1886 (Daily Advertiser [London], 20 Aug. 1886, 5, t.c.)
ALL SAINTS ANGLICAN CHURCH, Hamilton Road, new Mission Chapel (Free Press [London], 3 Nov. 1890, 5, descrip.)
HURON COLLEGE, St. George Street opposite College Avenue, addition, 1891 (Daily Advertiser [London], 21 July 1891, 2, t.c.; J. Talman, Huron College 1863-1963, 1963, 52, 55, illus.)
CHRIST CHURCH (Anglican), Wellington Street at Hill Street, new Sunday School, 1892 (Free Press [London], 11 May 1892, 8)
HOME FOR INCURABLES, Dundas Street, addition, 1900 (C.R., xi, 4 April 1900, 2, t.c.)
ST. JOHN'S ANGLICAN CHURCH, Brough's Bridge, North London, 1905 (Free Press [London], 31 Aug. 1905, 3)

Residential Works

WESTMINSTER TOWNSHIP, for T.R. Barton, 1876 (Daily Advertiser [London], 13 April 1876, 1, t.c.)
CAVENDISH CRESCENT, 'Willowbank', for William H. Bartram, 1876 (Daily Advertiser, 6 July 1876, 1, t.c.)
PICCADILLY STREET, for William Bissell, 1877 (Daily Advertiser [London], 24 Feb. 1877, 1, t.c.)
CATHCART STREET, at Bruce Street, for William D. Cooper, 1877 (Free Press [London], 18 April 1877, 4)
WORTLEY ROAD, for John Ingram, 1877 (Free Press [London], 18 April 1877, 4)
CRAIG STREET, double house for Mrs. James Ward, 1877 (Free Press [London], 18 April 1877, 4)
YORK STREET, for Edmund H. Cooper, 1877 (Free Press [London], 18 April 1877, 4)
KING STREET, near Wellington Street, row of three houses for R.J. Darvill, 1877 (Free Press [London], 18 April 1877, 4)
MILL STREET, for William W. Fitzgerald, 1878 (Free Press [London], 22 April 1878, 4)
TALBOT STREET, for Adam D. Douglas, 1878 (Free Press [London], 22 April 1878, 4)
KING STREET, near William Street, for Mrs. Bessie Tilley, 1878 (Free Press [London], 22 April 1878, 4)
ELMWOOD AVENUE, for J.A. Thomas, 1879-80 (Free Press [London], 21 March 1879, 2, t.c.; 17 May 1880, 1)
DUNDAS STREET, near Adelaide Street, additions to residence for Verschoyle Cronyn, 1880 (Free Press [London], 17 May 1880, 1)
QUEEN'S AVENUE, for John K. Clare, 1880 (Free Press [London], 17 May 1880, 1)
BOND STREET, house for the architect, 1880 (Free Press [London], 17 May 1880, 1)
BOND STREET, near Cartwright Street, for Donald McKenzie, 1880 (Free Press [London], 17 May 1880, 1)
ONTARIO STREET, for George Elliot, 1880 (Free Press [London], 17 May 1880, 1)
CRAIG STREET, for Thomas G. Davey, 1880 (Free Press [London], 17 May 1880, 1)
QUEEN'S AVENUE, for David Rougvie, 1880-81 (Free Press [London], 28 Aug. 1880, 2, t.c.; 14 May 1881, 3)
WORTLEY ROAD, at Craig Street, for William Friend, 1881 (Free Press [London], 14 May 1881, 3)
WORTLEY ROAD, at Bruce Street, for Gavin Rowat, 1881 (Free Press [London], 14 May 1881, 3)
STANLEY STREET, for D.F. Cordingley, Stanley Street, 1881 (Free Press [London], 14 May 1881, 3)
DUFFERIN AVENUE, near Maitland Street, for James Gordon, 1881 (Free Press [London], 18 Aug. 1881, 2, t.c.)
CLARENCE STREET, three houses for Mrs. H. Trebilcock, 1882 (Daily Advertiser [London], 25 May 1882, 2, t.c.)
HAMILTON ROAD, for John Osborn, 1883 (Free Press [London], 10 May 1883, 1)
QUEEN'S AVENUE, at Picton Street, four houses for Mrs. O'Dell, 1883 (Free Press [London], 10 May 1883, 1)
MOUNT PLEASANT AVENUE, double house for George Trebilcock, 1885 (Daily Advertiser [London], 9 May 1885, 5, t.c.)
PRINCESS AVENUE, for George Glasgow, 1886 (Daily Advertiser [London], 12 June 1886, 5, t.c.)

ELSEWHERE

WINGHAM, ONT., two stores for John Mason, 1879 (Free Press [London], 16 Jan. 1879, 2, t.c.)
WINNIPEG, MAN., warehouse and residence for William M. Gartshore, of the McClary Manufacturing Co., Queen Street West, 1880 (Free Press [London], 17 May 1880, 1)
GLENCOE, ONT., commercial block for W. Swaisland & Co., leased to the Federal Bank of Canada and I.O.O.F. Lodge, 1880 (Daily Advertiser [London], 9 Dec. 1880, 3, descrip.)
GLENCOE, ONT., Glencoe Agricultural Manufacturing Co., factory, 1882 (Free Press [London], 28 Aug. 1882, 2, t.c.)