Gordon, Henry Bauld

GORDON, Henry Bauld (1854-1951)
(biography in preparation)

H.B. GORDON

CENTRAL PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH, Bay Street at Grosvenor Street, 1876-77; Sunday School, 1878; demol. (Globe [Toronto], 4 Dec. 1876, 3, descrip.; 14 May 1878, 4, descrip.; J.R. Robertson, Landmarks of Toronto, 1904, iv, 260-1, illus. & descrip.)
BEVERLEY STREET, near Sullivan Street, row of three houses for John McMichael, 1877 (Mail [Toronto], 2 May 1877, 2)
LESLIEVILLE PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH, Queen Street East at Carlaw Avenue, 1877-78; demol. (Leader [Toronto], 3 April 1878, 4, descrip.; Canada Presbyterian [Toronto], 12 April 1878, 369, descrip.)

GORDON & HELLIWELL

Ecclesiastical Works

ST. MARYS, ONT., Widder Street Presbyterian Church, 1879 (St. Marys Argus, 27 March 1879, 3)
WEST PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH, Denison Avenue at Wolseley Street, 1879-80 (Mail [Toronto], 25 June 1879, 4, descrip.; Canada Presbyterian [Toronto], 15 Aug. 1879, 668-9, descrip.; Globe [Toronto], 30 Oct. 1879, 3, descrip.)
BRAMPTON, ONT., St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church, Church Street East at Union Street, 1880 (Globe [Toronto], 24 April 1880, 1, t.c.)
DEER PARK PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH, near St. Clair Avenue West and Yonge Street, 1880 (Mail [Toronto], 20 Nov. 1880, 2)
KNOX PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH, Queen Street West near Bay Street, extensive interior alterations, 1881; demol. (J.R. Robertson, Landmarks of Toronto, 1904, iv, 215-16, descrip.)
NEWBORO, ONT., Presbyterian Church, 1882 (Canada Presbyterian [Toronto], 25 Oct. 1882, 684)
PERTH, ONT., new Manse for St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church, 1882 (Canada Presbyterian [Toronto], 17 Jan. 1883, 44)
PARIS, ONT., Presbyterian Church, 1883 (Globe [Toronto], 15 Aug. 1883, 5, t.c.)
PETERBOROUGH, ONT., St. Paul's Presbyterian Church, Murray Street, additions and alterations, 1883-84 (Daily Evening Review [Peterborough], 5 Nov. 1884, 3, descrip.)
KEENE, ONT., Presbyterian Church, 1884-85 (History of the Presbyterian Church at Keene, Ontario, 1897, 12-3, illus.; dwgs. at United Church Archives, Toronto)
PETERBOROUGH, ONT., St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church, Rubidge Street, 1885-86 (E.B. Fowler, History of St. Andrew's United Church Peterborough 1833-1933, 12, illus.)
OWEN SOUND, ONT., Division Street Presbyterian Church, 1885-86 (Centenary of Division Street Church, Owen Sound 1852-1952, 9-10, illus.)
PARKDALE PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH, Dunn Avenue near Queen Street West, 1886-88 (J.R. Roberston, Landmarks of Toronto, 1904, iv, 268-71, illus. & descrip.)
CHALMER'S PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH, Dundas Street West at Dovercourt Road, 1887-89; Sunday School 1906 (Globe [Toronto], 11 April 1889, 3, descrip.; J.R. Robertson, Landmarks of Toronto, 1904, iv, 278-80, illus. & descrip.)
BATHURST STREET METHODIST CHURCH, Bathurst Street at Lennox Street, 1887-88 (Globe [Toronto], 31 Aug. 1887, 3, t.c.)
AYR, ONT., Knox Presbyterian Church, 1887-88 (Anniversary Services of Knox United Church, Ayr, Ont., 1962)
EAST PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH, Oak Street near Sackville Street, 1888-89; demol. (Telegram [Toronto], 19 April 1888, 3, t.c.; Toronto World, 8 April 1889, 2, descrip.)
WESTERN CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH, Spadina Avenue near Cecil Street, 1888; demol. (Toronto World, 3 Nov. 1888, 2)
ORILLIA, ONT., Orillia Presbyterian Church, Neywash Street, 1888-89; Sunday School 1912-13 (First Hundred Years of Orillia Presbyterian Church 1851-1951, 32, illus.)
ZION METHODIST CHURCH, St. Clair Avenue West near Christie Street, 1889-90 (T. Champion, Methodist Churches in Toronto, 1899, 269-70, descrip.; J.R. Robertson, Landmarks of Toronto, 1904, iv, 408-11, descrip.)
ST. PETER'S ANGLICAN CHURCH, Bleeker Street at Carlton Street, addition, 1890; rectory, Carlton Street, 1905 (inf. from Toronto Historical Board)
MISSION AVENUE, near College Street, a Mission Hall, 1890; demol. (C.R., i, 26 April 1890, 3, t.c.)
CHURCH OF THE MESSIAH, Avenue Road at Dupont Street, 1891-92; Parish Hall, 1922 (Globe [Toronto], 21 Sept. 1891, 8, descrip.; Toronto Mail, 22 Oct. 1892, 12, descrip. & illus.; C.A.B., v, March 1892, illus.; Canadian Churchman [Toronto], 29 Oct. 1891, 663, descrip.; 3 Nov. 1892, 662, descrip.)
EPWORTH METHODIST CHURCH, Christie Street at Yarmouth Road, 1890 (Telegram [Toronto], 2 Aug. 1890, 6, t.c.)
ST. ENOCH'S PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH, Winchester Street at Metcalfe Street, 1890-91 (C.R., i, 25 Oct. 1890, 1; Toronto World, 27 March 1891, 1, descrip.; 9 July 1891, illus.)
WOODLANDS, MAN., Anglican Church, 1896 (C.A.B., x, Feb. 1897, 37)
CHURCH OF THE COVENANT, Avenue Road at Roxborough Street West, 1897-99 (C.A.B., x, Sept. 1897, illus.; J.R.Robertson, Landmarks of Toronto, 1904, iv, 290-91, illus. & descrip.)
SCARBOROUGH, ONT., new Manse for Melville Presbyterian Church, West Hill, 1899 (C.R., x, 26 April 1899, 3, t.c.)
BONAR PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH, Lansdowne Avenue near College Street, additions and alterations, 1901 (C.R., xii, 27 Feb. 1901, 1, t.c.)
GRAFTON, ONT., St. George's Anglican Church, 1908-09 (Canadian Churchman [Toronto], 25 March 1909, 186-7, descrip.)
COLBORNE, ONT., parish hall for Trinity Anglican Church, 1909 (Canadian Churchman [Toronto], 13 Jan. 1910, 26)
CHURCH OF THE EPIPHANY (Anglican), Queen Street West at Beaty Avenue, 1910; Parish Hall, 1922 (C.R., xxiv, 9 Feb. 1910, 24, t.c.; xxxvi, 12 April 1922, 53)
ST. ANNE'S ANGLICAN CHURCH, Dufferin Street at Dundas Street West, new Parish Hall and Rectory, 1911 (Toronto b.p. 27338, 19 May 1911)
WEST PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH, College Street at Montrose Avenue, 1911 (C.R., xxv, 23 Aug. 1911, 61)
PRINCE RUPERT, B.C., St. Andrew's Anglican Church, 1912; completed 1925 (J. Gibson, History of St. Andrew's Cathedral, Prince Rupert, 1947, 9)
SCARBOROUGH, ONT., Church of the Epiphany (Anglican), St. Clair Avenue East at Danforth Road, 1914 (Telegram [Toronto], 18 July 1914, 14)
CHRIST CHURCH (Reformed Episcopal), Shaw Street near College Street, 1923 (C.R., xxxvii, 18 July 1923, 50)
ST. JOHN'S EVANGELICAL CHURCH, Pape Avenue near Danforth Avenue, 1929 (dwgs. at OA, Horwood Coll., 414a)

Commercial & Institutional Works

JOHN STREET PUBLIC SCHOOL, addition, 1878; demol. (Globe [Toronto], 6 May 1878, 2, t.c.)
KINGSTON, ONT., Arts Building, Queen's University, 1879-80 (Canadian Illustrated News, xix, 14 June 1879, 374, 377, illus. & descrip.;, Mail [Toronto], 15 Oct. 1880, 2, descrip.; dwgs. at Queen's University Archives, Kingston)
BRANT STREET SCHOOL, Adelaide Street West at Brant Street, 1882 (Annual Report of the Inspector of the Public Schools, City of Toronto, 1882, Appendix, 2-3)
YOUNG MEN'S CHRISTIAN ASSOCIATION, Yonge Street at McGill Street, 1886; Gymnasium 1911 (Telegram [Toronto], 30 June 1886, 6, descrip. & illus.; dwgs. at OA, Horwood Coll. 416)
UPPER CANADA BIBLE & TRACT SOCIETY, Yonge Street near King Street, 1886; altered 1910 (Toronto World, 13 May 1886, 1)
BARBER & ELLIS CO., Bay Street near Wellington Street, 1886; burned 1904 (Globe [Toronto], 6 Sept. 1886, 2, t.c.)
ALEXANDER A. ALLAN & CO., Bay Street near Front Street, warehouse, 1886-87; burned 1904; rebuilt 1911; demol. 1986 (Globe [Toronto], 4 Nov. 1886, 6, t.c.; C.R., xxv, 6 Sept. 1911, 66, t.c.)
EAST YORK, Todmorden School House, Broadview Avenue near Pottery Road, 1887 (Globe [Toronto], 14 Sept. 1887, 6, t.c.)
WEST END YOUNG MEN'S CHRISTIAN ASSOCIATION, Queen Street West at Dovercourt Road, 1889-90 (Toronto World, 23 Nov. 1889, 4, illus. & descrip.; 10 Oct. 1890, 1, descrip.; Globe [Toronto], 13 Dec. 1890, 2, illus. & descrip.)
YOUNG WOMEN'S CHRISTIAN ASSOCIATION, Elm Street, 1890-91 (C.R., i, 8 March 1890, 3, t.c.; Toronto World, 25 March 1890, 1, descrip.; 10 May 1890, 2, descrip.)
EAST YORK, Chester Public School, Broadview Avenue near Chester Hill Road, 1890 (Telegram [Toronto], 25 Aug. 1890, 2, t.c.)
MIMICO, ONT., Public School, Church Street at Mimico Avenue, 1892 (C.R., iii, 26 March 1892, 1, t.c.; Toronto Daily Mail, Saturday Supplement, 18 Feb. 1893, 14, illus. & descrip.)
JOHN MACDONALD & CO., Queen Street West at Northcote Avenue, store, 1892 (Toronto b.p. 1144, 31 Oct. 1892)
ORILLIA, ONT., Town Hall & Market Building, West Street, 1894-95; burned 1915; rebuilt (C.A.B., vii, July 1894, illus.; Orillia Times, 12 Dec. 1895, Supplement, 1-2, illus. & descrip.; dwgs. at OA, Horwood Coll. 415)
BOND LAKE, ONT., Power House for the Metropolitan Electric Radial Railway Co., 1898 (C.R., ix, 2 Nov. 1898, 3; Canadian Electrical News [Toronto], ix, Dec. 1899, 258-60, illus. & descrip.)
NORTH YORK, York Mills Power House for the Metropolitan Electric Radial Railway, 1899 (C.R., x, 8 March 1899, 3)
BOARD OF TRADE HOTEL, for Elizabeth Black, Yonge Street near Front Street East, 1899; demol. (Toronto b.p. 292, 11 April 1899)
W.R. JOHNSTON & CO., Front Street West at York Street, warehouse, 1900; addition 1913; demol. (C.A.B., xiii, Oct. 1900, illus.)
YONGE STREET, near Roxborough Street West, stores and dwellings for John Lonsdale, 1901 (inf. from Toronto Historical Board)
PARIS, ONT., Young Men's Christian Association, 1903 (C.R., xiv, 27 May 1903, 1, t.c.)
TORONTO JUNCTION, Dundas Street West at Soho Street, factory for Charles A. Brink, of Cyclone Wire Fence Co., 1905 (Toronto b.p. 2336, 24 Oct. 1905)
WYCLIFFE COLLEGE, University of Toronto, Hoskin Avenue, new Dining Hall and Dormitory Wing, 1907; Principal's Residence and new Chapel, 1911 (Canadian Churchman [Toronto], 27 Feb. 1908, 144; Toronto b.p. 26121, 3 April 1911; 26209, 6 April 1911)
DARLING BUILDING, Spadina Avenue at Adelaide Street West, 1907 (Const., i, Feb. 1908, 24, illus.)
MINISTER & MYLES SHOE CO., Simcoe Street at Pearl Street, warehouse, 1907-08; demol. (Toronto b.p. 9597, 19 Nov. 1907)
BOUVIER & HUTCHINSON CO., Lombard Street near Church Street, factory, 1909-10; demol. (Toronto b.p. 18615, 11 Dec. 1909)
UPPER CANADA BIBLE SOCIETY, College Street near Yonge Street, office building, 1910-11 (Const., v, March 1912, 57-60, illus.)
J.A. SIMMERS SEED CO., King Street East near Jarvis Street, office and warehouse, 1910 (Toronto b.p. 22200, 20 July 1910)
BARACA CLUB, Bancroft Avenue near Huron Street, 1910-11 (Toronto b.p. 24192, 2 Nov. 1910)
JOHN UNDERWOOD CO., Richmond Street East near Church Street, factory, 1912 (C.R., xxvi, 31 Jan. 1912, 66)
WOMEN'S COLLEGE HOSPITAL & DISPENSARY, Rusholme Road near College Street, 1916 (C.R., xxx, 17 May 1916, 47)
YORK TOWNSHIP, Public School for S.S. 30, 1923 (C.R., xxxvii, 31 Jan. 1923, 47, t.c.)

Residential Works

QUEEN'S PARK CRESCENT, at Wellesley Street West, mansion for William Christie, 1880-81; demol. 1910 and replaced by a mansion for Robert Christie, as designed by Darling & Pearson (dwgs. Univ. of Toronto Archives, A 1973 0008/010 (03) A )
PETERBOROUGH, ONT., for Dr. James T.I. Halliday, Water Street, 1883 (Peterborugh Examiner, 8 Nov. 1883, 1, descrip.)
ST. GEORGE STREET, opposite Wilcox Street, for William Goulding, 1890; demol. c. 1930 (C.A.B., iv, Jan. 1891, illus.)
WOODLAWN AVENUE WEST, residence for the architect H.B. Gordon, 1890 (J. Kinsella, Historical Walking Tour of Deer Park, 1996, 20, illus.)
ROSEDALE ROAD, for Capt. Samuel Crangle, 1891 (C.A.B., v, Jan. 1892, illus.)
YONGE STREET, near Summerhill Avenue, for Herman Simmers, 1897 (C.A.B., x, Feb. 1897, 37)
GODERICH, ONT., for Dr. W.J.R. Holmes, 1896 (C.A.B., x, Feb. 1897, 37)
RUSHOLME ROAD, for Henry N. Williams, 1897 (C.R., viii, 15 April 1897, 1, t.c.)
RUSHOLME ROAD, near Hepbourne Street, residence for Mrs. Elizabeth H. Gordon, wife of the architect H.B. Gordon, 1897 (Toronto b.p. 56, 11 June 1897)
MAPLE AVENUE, for Harrison H. Fudger, 1897 (dwgs. at OA, Horwood Coll. 417a)
ST. GEORGE STREET, near Lowther Avenue, for Victor Cawthra, 1897 (Toronto b.p.#98, 13 Oct. 1897)
GLEN ROAD, near South Drive, for F.G. Clarke, 1898 (Toronto b.p. 103, 21 Oct. 1898)
WOODLAWN AVENUE, for Duncan A. Coulson, 1899 (Toronto b.p. 120, 9 June 1899)
ROSS STREET, near College Street, row of three houses for Thomas Alison, 1899-1900 (Toronto b.p. 50, 10 Nov. 1899)
EUCLID AVENUE, at Ulster Street, pair of houses for James D. Allen, 1900-01 (Toronto b.p. 2, 20 Nov. 1900)
CRESCENT ROAD, near Lamport Avenue, for T. Albert Brown, 1901 (C.A.B., xvi, Feb. 1903, illus.)
ELM AVENUE, for Charles H. Francis, 1901 (inf. from Toronto Historical Board)
BALMORAL AVENUE, at Poplar Plains Road, for Robert Wightman, 1903 (C.A.B., xix, Sept. 1906, 133, descrip. & illus.)
CHESTNUT PARK ROAD, near Cluny Drive, for George D. Chestnut, 1905 (Toronto b.p. 404, 23 March 1905)
PARK ROAD, for Percival L. Mason, 1905 (Toronto b.p. 786, 5 May 1905)
MCMASTER AVENUE, for John Peace, 1905 (Toronto b.p. 848, 12 May 1905)
NANTON CRESCENT, near Dale Avenue, for Arthur W. Blachford, 1905 (Toronto b.p. 1064, 7 June 1905)
MARKHAM STREET, near Lennox Street, for Agnes Mather, 1906 (Toronto b.p. 3256, 28 March 1906)
CHESTNUT PARK ROAD, near Roxborough Street East, for James B. Fitzsimons, 1906 (Toronto b.p. 4061, 4 June 1906)
BLOOR STREET WEST, near Robert Street, for Robert Y. Mabee, 1909 (Toronto b.p. 14504, 1 April 1909)

COMPETITIONS

STRATFORD, ONT., High School, 1877. H.B. Gordon was one of thrity-four competitors from the United States and Canada who submitted designs for the High School (Stratford Beacon, 5 Oct. 1877, 2). He was not among the finalists and the commission was later awarded to McCaw & Lennox of Toronto.
ONTARIO PARLIAMENT BUILDINGS, Queen's Park, Toronto, 1880-81. Sixteen entries were received during the first stage of this important competition in October 1880. The scheme by Gordon & Helliwell, signed 'Datur Digniori', was awarded the First Premium of $2,000 (OA, RG15, Box E1, Vol. 27, Envelope 1, Report of the Jury). Designed 'in the collegiate manner', their proposal for a quadrangle of buildings was inspired by Gothic precedent and was said to be 'commendable in its common sense plainness' (Mail [Toronto], 4 Dec. 1880, 2, descrip.). In March of 1881 they were asked to revise their plans and resubmit their scheme along with five other competitors. After much debate and bickering the provincial government rejected all the schemes, and later awarded the commission to one of the competition jurors Richard Waite (E. Arthur, From Front Street to Queen's Park, 1979, 49, 52, 55)
VICTORIA COLLEGE, Toronto, Ont., 1886. Four Toronto firms were invited to submit designs for new college buildings on the northern edge of Queen's Park (Toronto World, 8 Oct. 1886, 2). The commission was eventually awarded to William Storm
BOARD OF TRADE BUILDING, Yonge Street at Front Street, Toronto, 1889. Under the pseudonym 'Ten Per Cent' the firm of Gordon & Helliwell were awarded Second Prize for their Romanesque Revival design (C.A.B., ii, March 1889, 28, descrip.; June 1889, illus. plate). The first prize and the commission were awarded to James & James of New York City.
VICTORIA, B.C., British Columbia Parliament Buildings, 1892. Among the sixty-five competitors from the United States and Canada were Gordon & Helliwell. Their design, labeled 'St. James', was not among the six finalists (M. Segger, The British Columbia Parliament Buildings, 1979, 84).
MILWAUKEE, WISC., U.S.A., Public Library & Museum, 1894. More than seventy architects entered this competition including the Toronto firm of Gordon & Helliwell (C.A.B., vii, Feb. 1894, 34). Henry G. Koch of Milwaukee was declared the winner.
OTTAWA, ONT., Departmental and Justice Buildings, 1907. Thirty designs were submitted in this national competition, but the scheme by Gordon & Helliwell placed 17th with a low score of 50 out of 100 points. The chief juror, Edmund Burke, thought their design was 'lacking in the dignity required, resembling a college or school building' (OA, Horwood Coll., miscell. papers). The Montreal firm of E. & W.S. Maxwell received First Premium, but the project was never realised.
CHENGTU, CHINA, West China Union University, 1912. Gordon & Helliwell were one of four firms from Europe and North America invited to submit designs for this project in Szechwan province (Building News [London], civ, 10 Jan. 1913, 54). Their entry was set aside and Fred Rowntree & Son of London, England were declared the winners.
OTTAWA, ONT., Departmental Buildings, 1914. Another major competition for a different site was staged in 1914 and elicited more than 60 entries from Commonwealth countries. Six finalists were chosen, but again the project was never built. The design by Gordon & Helliwell was not among the finalists (NAC, RG11, Vol. 2952, File 5370 1B)
HAMILTON, ONT., North West Entrance to the City, 1927-28. Twelve firms submitted designs in this competition for a series of parks, gardens and a high level bridge on lands adjacent to Dundurn Castle. The scheme by Gordon & Helliwell was not premiated (R.A.I.C. Journal, v, April 1928, 131). Earle Sheppard of Toronto won First Prize of $2,000.