Newlands, William Jr.

NEWLANDS, William Jr. (1853-1926)
(biography in preparation)

The following is a list of selected projects designed by Newlands during his career from 1883 until after 1920. An extensive collection of architectural drawings prepared by Newlands, many of them undated, is now held at the Archives of Queen's University, Kingston.

INSTITUTIONAL

(works in Kingston unless noted)

RAILWAY STATION, for the Kingston & Pembroke Railway, Ontario Street at Clarence Street, 1885 (Kingston, Buildings of Architectural & Historic Significance, iv, 1977, 26-7, illus.)
BARRIFIELD, ONT., Pittsburgh Township Hall, 1886 (M. MacRae & A. Adamson, Cornerstones of Order, 1983, 211, illus.; Canada, Town Halls of Canada, 1987, 115, 296, illus.)
GRAND TRUNK,RAILWAY STATION, Ontario Street, 1886 (Kingston, Buildings of Architectural & Historic Significance, v, 1980, 226-7, illus.)
CHRISTIAN BROTHERS ROMAN CATHOLIC SCHOOL, Clergy Street, addition, 1890 (C.R., i, 6 Sept. 1890, 2)
FIRE STATION NO. 2, Brock Street, conversion of the Fourth Methodist Church, with new facade and tower, 1891 (C.R., ii, 11 July 1891, 2, t.c.)
VICTORIA SCHOOL, Union Street at Frontenac Street, 1892-93 (C.R., iii, 16 April 1892, 2; Kingston, Buildings of Architectural & Historic Significance, vi, 1985, 252-4, illus.; dwgs. at NAC, Power Coll.)
REGIOPOLIS COLLEGE, conversion of the old college for the Sisters of the Hotel Dieu, Sydenham Street near Brock Street, 1892 (C.R., iii, 30 April 1892, 2, t.c.)
ORPHAN'S HOME, Union Street West at University Avenue, addition, 1893; demol. (C.R., iv, 8 June 1893, 2, t.c.)
KINGSTON GENERAL HOSPITAL, Stuart Street at George Street, Fenwick Operating Amphitheatre, 1895 (C.R., vi, 4 April 1895, 2; J. De Jonge, 'Metamorphosis of a Public Institution: The Early Buildings of the Kingston General Hospital', in Society for the Study of Architecture in Canada Bulletin, xxii, Sept. 1997, 79-80, illus.)
MacDONALD PARK, King Street East, new Park Pavilion, 1896 (Kingston, Buildings of Architectural and Historic Significance, v, 1980, 121-2, illus.)
NEW GLASGOW, N.S., Masonic Temple and Music Hall, 1897 (C.R., viii, 15 July 1897, 2)
KINGSTON GENERAL HOSPITAL, Stuart Street, reconstruction of the Watkins Wing, 1898; remodelling of the Nickle Wing, 1903; Nurses' Home, 1904; new Wing, 1912 (C.R., ix, 23 Feb. 1898, 2-3, t.c.; xiv, 17 June 1903, 2, t.c.; dwgs. in Newlands Coll.)
GRAND FORKS, B.C., Cottage Hospital, 9th Street, 1900; demol. (C.R., x, 3 Jan. 1900, 1; D. Luxton, Building the West: The Early Architects of British Columbia, 2003, 478-9, 513)
PICTON, ONT., House of Refuge for Prince Edward County , 1905 (C.R., xvi, 3 May 1905, 2, t.c.)
L'ORIGNAL, ONT., House of Refuge for Prescott County, 1906 (C.R., xvii, 14 March 1906, 1, t.c.)
PICTON, ONT., Collegiate Institute, 1907-09 (C.R., xvii, 24 Oct. 1906, 2, t.c.; Centennial Booklet: Picton Collegiate & Vocational Institute 1834-1934, 12, illus.)
SMITH'S FALLS, ONT., Collegiate Institute, Johnston Street, 1910-11 (C.R., xxiv, 12 Oct. 1910, 24, t.c.)
POST OFFICE, King Street, addition, 1911 (C.R., xxv, 26 April 1911, 53)
REGIOPOLIS COLLEGE, Russell Street at Thomas Street, main building, 1914; dormitory and gymnasium 1925 (C.R., xxviii, 11 Feb. 1914, 75, t.c.; xxxix, l July 1925, 50)
ST. VINCENT ACADEMY, Bagot Street at William Street, addition, 1916 (dwgs. in Newlands Coll.)

ECCLESIASTICAL

HOUSE OF PROVIDENCE, Montreal Street near Bay Street, 1891-92 (Daily British Whig [Kingston], 10 Aug. 1891, 1, descrip.)
HOTEL DIEU, Sydenham Street at Brock Street, addition of St. Joseph's Chapel, 1894 (Daily British Whig [Kingston], 31 May 1894, 2)
PERTH, ONT., St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church, additions and alterations, 1898 (Perth Couier, 25 March 1898, 4, descrip.; 3 Feb. 1899, 1, 5 & 8, illus. & descrip.; C.R., ix, 30 March 1898, 2, t.c.)

COMMERCIAL & INDUSTRIAL

W.J. CROTHERS BISCUIT CO., Wellington Street near Queen Street, commercial block, c. 1885 (Kingston, Buildings of Architectural & Historic Significance, iv, 1977, 235-6, illus.)
(with George A. Allan) BROCKVILLE, ONT., Fulford Block, Main Street at Court House Avenue, for George T. Fulford, 1887 (Brockville Recorder, 2 June 1887, 6, descrip.)
PRINCESS STREET, near King Street East, commercial block for W.M. Drennan, 1891 (C.R., ii, 21 March 1891, 2)
BROCK STREET, store for George Offord, 1891 (C.R., ii, 10 Oct. 1891, 2, t.c.)
KING STREET EAST, near Princess Street, office block for Donald Fraser, 1891 (Kingston, Buildings of Architectural & Historic Significance, iv, 1977, 210-11, illus.)
GLENORA, ONT. hotel on the shore of Lake of the Mountain for J.C. Wilson, 1892 (C.R., iii, 25 June 1892, 2)
PRINCESS STREET, commercial building 'adjoining the City Hotel' for Mrs. William Kirk, 1892 (C.R., iii, 26 Nov. 1892, 1, t.c.)
PRINCESS STREET, building for the MacNee Estate, 1893 (C.R., iv, 29 June 1893, 1, t.c.)
PRINCESS STREET, new facade for shop owned by George McGowan, 1893 (Kingston, Buildings of Architectural & Historic Significance, iv, 1977, 84-5, illus.)
BROCK STREET, near Bagot Street, block for John McKay, 1895 (C.R., vi, 10 Oct. 1895, 2)
ONTARIO STREET, extensive alterations to row of shops for Neil C. Polson, 1895 (Kingston, Buildings of Architectural & Historic Significance, iv, 1977, 32-4, illus.)
CONGRESS HALL, King Street East near Princess Street, remodelling for Cornelius Millan, 1896 (C.R., vii, 21 May 1896, 2, t.c.)
LIVINGSTONE BROTHERS STORE, Brock Street, alterations and improvements, 1896 (C.R., vii, 18 June 1896, 3)
T.F. HARRISON CO., Princess Street near Montreal Street, restoration of commercial block, 1897; addition 1898 (C.R., vii, 21 Jan. 1897, 1, t.c.; ix, 16 March 1898, 2)
PRINCESS STREET, near Clergy Street, store for Robert J. Carson, 1897 (C.R., viii, 3 June 1897, 2)
PRINCESS STREET, at Clergy Street, commercial block 'opposite St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church', possibly the Hotel Beaupre, 1897 (C.R., viii, 10 June 1897, 2)
QUEEN CITY OIL CO., Clarence Street at Ontario Street, storehouse, 1897 (C.R., viii, 26 Aug. 1897, 2)
GRAND FORKS, B.C., Merchants Bank, First Street at Bridge Street, 1899 (Province [Vancouver], 2 Sept. 1899, 9, descrip.; dwgs. in McGill University, Maxwell Coll.)
GRAND FORKS, B.C., commercial block for Charles Cummings and Judge Spinks, Riverside Avenue at Bridge Street, 1899 (Province [Vancouver], 2 Sept. 1899, 9, descrip.)
GRAND FORKS, B.C., commercial block for H.A. Henderson, Second Street at Bridge Street, 1899 (Province [Vancouver], 2 Sept. 1899, 9, descrip.)
GRAND FORKS, B.C., commercial block for J.K. Johnson, First Street, 1899 (Province [Vancouver], 2 Sept. 1899, 9, descrip.)
McKELVY & BIRCH, Brock Street near King Street East, commercial block, 1903 (Kingston, Buildings of Architectural and Historic Significance, iv, 1977, 156-8, illus.)
EDWIN CHOWN & SON, Bagot Street at Brock Street, commercial block, 1903 (C.R., xiv, 1 April 1903, 8)

RESIDENTIAL

BROCK STREET, at Clergy Street, a large addition to 'Elizabeth Cottage', for Dr. Fife Fowler, 1883 (J. McKendry, 'A Reassessment of the Architectural History of Elizabeth Cottage, Kingston' in Journal of the Society for the Study of Architecture in Canada, xxxv, No. 2, 2010, 27-34, illus.)
BARRIE STREET, for Michael Flanagan, c. 1883 (Kingston, Buildings of Architectural & Historic Significance, vi, 1985, 39-41, illus.)
KING STREET EAST, near Union Street, for Donald Fraser, 1885 (Kingston, Buildings of Architectural & Historic Significance, v, 1980, 171-2, illus.)
BARRIE STREET, at Stuart Street, for Richard Waldron, 1885 (Kingston, Buildings of Architectural & Historic Significance, 1985, 36-8, illus.)
JOHNSTON STREET, row of three houses for John Ward, 1887-88; row of three additional houses, 1889 (Kingston, Buildings of Architectural & Historic Significance, v, 1980, 101-05, illus.)
BARRIE STREET, at William Street, terrace of three houses for D. Lavery, 1889 (Kingston, Buildings of Architectural & Historic Significance, vi, 1985, 53-4, illus.)
KING STREET EAST, near Johnson Street, for John Thompson, 1889-90 (Kingston, Buildings of Architectural & Historic Significance, v, 1980, 195-7, illus.)
CHATHAM STREET, terrace of nine houses for A. Gallinger, 1890 (Kingston, Buildings of Architectural & Historic Significance, vi, 1985, 70-1, illus.)
KING STREET EAST, near Johnson Street, pair of houses for Dr. Leonard Clements, 1891-92 (Kingston, Buildings of Architectural & Historic Significance, v, 1980, 192-4, illus.)
FRONTENAC STREET, at Brock Street, for John Hazlett, 1892 (C.R., ii, 23 Jan. 1892, 1)
KING STREET EAST, at Union Street, for James Swift, 1892 (C.R., iii, 17 Sept. 1892, 1, t.c.)
NAPANEE, ONT., for C.S. Warner, 1893 (C.R., iv, 2 March 1893, 2)
GORE STREET, at Wellington Street, two houses for Minnes Brothers, 1894 (C.R., v, 23 Aug. 1894, 1; Kingston, Buildings of Architectural & Historic Significance, v, 1980, 62-3, illus.)
WELLINGTON STREET, at Union Street, for J. Campbell Strange, 1895 (C.R., vi, 11 April 1895, 2, t.c.)
NEW GLASGOW, N.S., for Dr. Keith, George Street, 1895 (C.R., vi, 2 May 1895, 2)
ALFRED STREET, at Johnson Street, for Alex Snodden, 1897 (C.R., viii, 11 March 1897, 3)
BARRIE STREET, for Prof. James Cappon, 1897 (C.R., viii, 13 May 1897, 2)
PRINCESS STREET, near University Avenue, pair of houses for Mrs. Rachel C. Thornton, 1897 (C.R., viii, 13 May 1897, 3)
PRINCESS STREET, at University Avenue, for Dr. H. Ramsay Duff, 1897 (C.R., viii, 7 Oct. 1897, 1)
BARRIE STREET, at William Street, terrace of houses for D. Lavery, 1898 (C.R., ix, 16 Nov. 1898, 2)
EARL STREET, near Barrie Street, for Overton J. Hickey, 1899 (C.R., x, 5 April 1899, 2)
GRAND FORKS, B.C., farm residence for M. Miller 'on his ranch, about 2 miles from Grand Forks', 1899 (Province [Vancouver], 2 Sept. 1899, 9)
GRAND FORKS., B.C., cottage residence for James Addison, located 'on Knob Hill', 1899 (Province [Vancouver], 2 Sept. 1899, 9)
BAGOT STREET, at William Street, residence and office for Dr. W.W. Sands, 1902 (C.R., xiii, 1 Oct. 1902, 1)
KING STREET WEST, near St. Lawrence Street, additions and alterations to 'Ringwood' for Lt. Col. Henry R. Smith, 1903 (C.R., xiv, 24 June 1903, 2)
BEVERLY STREET, at Union Street, for Joseph B. Walkem, 1903 (C.R., xiv, 1 July 1903, 2)
WOLFE ISLAND, summer residence for William C. McCausland, of Pittsburgh, Penn., 1905 (C.R., xvi, 11 Oct. 1905, 2, t.c.)
BARRIE STREET, pair of houses for H.F. Mooers, 1905-06 (Kingston, Buildings of Architectural & Historic Significance, vi, 1985, 27-9, illus.)
PICTON, ONT., 'Claramount', for Edward M. Young, Bridge Street, c. 1905 (T. Cruickshank & P. Stokes, The Settler's Dream, 1984, 204-05, illus.)
PICTON, ONT., for Herbert W. Bedell, Centre Street, c. 1907 (T. Cruickshank & P. Stokes, The Settler's Dream, 1984, 255-6, illus.)
WOLFE ISLAND, summer residence for William J. Langenheim, of Pittsburgh, Penn., 1907-08 (K. Fraser & C. O'Malley, 'Building for the Outdoors: Two Early Twentieth Century Kingston Area Cottages, in the Society for the Study of Architecture in Canada Bulletin, xviii, Sept-Dec. 1993, 73-4, illus.; (Pierre du Prey et al, Ah, Wilderness! Resort Architecture in the Thousand Islands, 2004, 52-3, illus. & descrip.)
VILLA ST. CLARE APARTMENTS, Barrie Street at William Street, for James Elder, 1917 (Kingston, Buildings of Architectural & Historic Significance, vi, 1985, 51-2, illus.)
KING STREET WEST, for Dr. J. Cameron Connell, 1918 (dwgs. in Newlands Coll.)
LEMOINE'S POINT, residence and farm for William H. Coverdale, 1918-24 (Pierre du Prey et al, Ah, Wilderness! Resort Architecture in the Thousand Islands, 2004, 98-100, illus. & descrip.)