Bergeron, Joseph Simeon

BERGERON, Joseph Simeon (1878-1955) was a prolific Quebec City architect who devoted much of his career to the design of ecclesiastical and institutional works for the local Diocese of the Roman Catholic Church. Born in St. Ferdinand, Que. on 14 September 1878 he was educated at the Quebec Seminary (in 1895-1901) and articled with the firm of Talbot & Dionne. He attended classes at the University of Montreal in 1906-07 and opened an office under his own name in 1910. In 1923 he joined with Charles A. Lemay in a partnership which remained active until 1928. For the next twenty years Bergeron continued to practice under his own name and during this period completed one of his most important works, the monumental 'Edifice E' or Annex to the Quebec Provincial Parlaiment Building (1934-36), designed in collaboration with Wilfrid Lacroix. He was elected President of the Prov. of Quebec Assocation of Architects in 1938 and continued to practice until 1949 when he formed a new partnership with L.P. Lefebvre. Bergeron retired after 1950 and died in Quebec City on 16 September 1955 (obit. l'Action Catholique [Quebec City], 17 Sept. 1955, 9; Le Soleil [Quebec City], 17 Sept. 1955, 13; biog. and port. Biographies Canadiennes Francaises, vi, 1926, 106; biog. and list of works in the National Reference Book, v, 1936, 90-1)

J.S. BERGERON

(works in Quebec City unless noted)

ARTHABASKA, QUE., major addition to residence for Charels R. Garneau, Laurier Street West, 1910 (Continuite, No. 43, Spring 1989, 63)
MURRAY AVENUE, near King Edward Avenue, residence for Horance Legendre, 1913 (Quebec City Archives, L.C. Jacques, Notaire, 20 June 1913, No. 2463)
PONT ROUGE, QUE., college for the Roman Catholic School Commissioners, 1913 (C.R., xxvii, 26 Nov. 1913, 67)
d'AIGUILLON STREET, tenement for Joseph I. Gravel, 1914 (Quebec City b.p. 650, 21 July 1914)
MONCTON AVENUE, residence for Pierre Trudel, 1915 (Quebec City b.p. 1396, 1 June 1915)
ECOLE ST. FRANCOIS d'ASSISE, 1st Avenue at Benoit XV Boulevard, 1915 (Quebec City b.p. 1722, 14 Sept. 1915)
SACRE-COEUR-DE-JESUS ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH, St. Malo Street, a chapel and presbytery, 1918 (Quebec City b.p. 4127, 31 May 1918; Album des Eglises de la Province de Quebec, 1930, iii, 65, illus.)
NOTRE-DAME-DE-MONTAUBAN, QUE., St. Eloi Roman Catholic Church, 1918 (Continuite [Quebec City], No. 50, Summer 1991, 45)
EGLISE ST. FRANCOIS d'ASSISE, 1st Avenue, begun 1918; completed by Bergeron & Lemay in 1926 (Quebec City b.p. 4228, 11 July 1918; 146, 21 April 1926; Album des Eglises de la Province de Quebec, 1930, iii, 67, illus.; Luc Noppen et al, Quebec-Trois siecles d'architecture, 1979, 1979, 192, illus.)
SEMINAIRE DE QUEBEC, Ste. Famille Street, major addition for classroom building, 1919-21; enlargement 1922-23 (C.R., xxxiii, 16 July 1919, 43; Quebec City b.p. 4987, 1 Oct. 1919; 5790, 1 March 1921; Luc Noppen et al, Quebec-Trois siecles d'architecture, 1979, 358, illus.)
BOURLAMAQUE AVENUE, store for Zepherin Rivard, 1919 (Quebec City b.p. 4765, 2 July 1919)
BRASSERIE CHAMPLAIN LTEE., Prince Edward Street at de lâ Eglise Street, cold storage warehouse, 1919 (Quebec City b.p. 5034, 16 Oct. 1919)
GOSSELIN SHOE LTD., St. Leon Street at Bigaouette Street, factory, 1919 (Quebec City b.p. 5085, 24 Nov. 1919)
SOEURS FRANCISCAINS, Grande Allee at Claire Fontaine Street, mission house, 1920 (Quebec City b.p. 5260, 26 April 1920)
GOSSELIN SHOE LTD., Carillon Street at Falardeau Street, factory, 1920 (Quebec City b.p. 5407, 29 May 1920)
COTE ST. PAUL ROAD, Roman Catholic church for the parish of Notre Dame du Perpetual Secours, 1920 (C.R., xxxiv, 9 June 1920, 151)
BRASSERIE CHAMPLAIN LTEE., Commissaires Street, garages and stables, 1920 (Quebec City b.p. 5495, 25 June 1920)
HOTEL MONTCALM, St. Jean Street, for A.J. Pelland, 1920 (Quebec City b.p. 5585, 16 Aug. 1920)
DE SALABERRY AVENUE, two houses for Mme. Elzear Baillargeon, 1921 (Quebec City b.p. 6451, 13 Oct. 1921)
BELVEDERE AVENUE, two houses for Jules A. Lamarre, 1921 (Quebec City b.p. 6508, 14 Nov. 1921)
SILLERY, QUE., addition to the convent for the Sisters of Jesus & Mary, 1922 (C.R., xxxvi, 31 May 1922, 58)
LAURIER AVENUE, house for Emile D. Normandeau, 1922 (Quebec City b.p. 7421, 25 Aug. 1922)
BROWN AVENUE, at Fraser Street, pair of houses for Samuel Girard, 1922 (Quebec City b.p. 7453, 24 Aug. 1922)
ALLIES BOULEVARD, residence for Louis Hamel, 1922 (Quebec City b.p. 7485, 8 Sept. 1922)
ALLIES BOULEVARD, residence for Alfred Boyte, 1922 (Quebec City b.p. 7591, 29 Sept. 1922)
ST. CYRILLE STREET, tenement for Arthur Poulin, 1922 (Quebec City b.p. 7670, 26 Oct. 1922)
10TH AVENUE, mill for E.T. Nesbitt Ltd., 1922-23 (Quebec City b.p. 7750, 7 Dec. 1922)

BERGERON & LEMAY

ST. CYRILLE STREET, house for Leonard Lachance, 1923 (Quebec City b.p. 8341, 20 June 1923)
LAVAL UNIVERSITY, School of Chemistry, Ste. Foy Road, 1923 (Quebec City b.p. 8606, 29 Aug. 1923; L. Noppen et al, Quebec-Trois siecles d'architecture, 1979, 358, illus.)
ST. JEAN STREET, building for Lavoie Bros., 1924 (Quebec City b.p. 9190, 12 May 1924)
BEAUCEVILLE, QUE., Normal School for the Sisters of Jesus & Mary, 1924 (C.R., xxxviii, 23 July 1924, 62)
SISTERS OF ST. JOSEPH, Ste. Foy Road, annex to the noviciate to be used as a school, 1924; Chapel, 1925; addition to be used as a convent, 1930 (Quebec City b.p. 9593, 15 Aug. 1924; 10617, 6 Aug. 1925; 4414, 15 July 1930; Luc Noppen et al, Quebec-Trois siecles d'architecture, 1979, 240, illus.)
13th STREET, pair of houses for Donat E. Marceau, 1924 (Quebec City b.p. 9806, 31 Oct. 1924)
EGLISE JACQUES CARTIER, St. Joseph Street at St. Francois Street, sacristy chapel and recreation hall, 1925 (Quebec City b.p. l0001, 7 April 1925; C.R., xxxix, 8 April 1925, 52)
THETFORD MINES, QUE., major addition to the Roman Catholic convent, 1925 (C.R., xxxix, 15 April 1925, 51)
BAIE ST. PAUL, QUE., Roman Catholic school and boarding house, 1925 (C.R., xxxix, 22 April 1925, 50, t.c.)
STE. FOY ROAD, chapel for the Christian Brothers, 1925 (C.R., xxxix, 15 July 1925, 58, t.c.)
ST. AGATHE, QUE., Roman Catholic church, 1926 (C.R., xl, 10 Feb. 1926, 54)
ST. NARCISSE, QUE., Roman Catholic church, 1926 (C.R., xl, 26 May 1926, 174)
COMMISSAIRES STREET, house for Wilfrid Lachance, 1926 (Quebec City b.p. 339, 1 June 1926)
PARC VICTORIA CURLING CLUB, in Victoria Park, 1926 (Quebec City b.p. 735, 19 Oct. 1926)
CARTIER AVENUE, pair of houses for Eugene A. Paquin, 1927 (Quebec City b.p. 1231, 20 June 1927)
ROBERVAL AVENUE, at Leclerc Street, house for Paul de Beaumont, 1927 (Quebec City b.p. 1252, 25 June 1927)
TROIS RIVIERES, QUE., monastery for the Carmelite Sisters of St. Boniface, 1928 (C.R., xlii, 20 June 1928, 53)
EGLISE ST. FIDELE, 4th Avenue t 11th Street, church and presbytery, 1928 (Quebec City b.p. 1791, 9 March 1928; 1815, 10 March 1928)
BERNIERES AVENUE, residence for Hon. Albert A. Sevigny, 1929 (C.R., xliii, 24 April 1929, 70; Quebec City b.p. 2935, 26 Apri l919)

J.S. BERGERON

MONTMAGNY, QUE., hospice, 1929 (C.R., lxiii, 8 May 1929, 58)
RIMOUSKI, QUE., hospital for the Sisters of Charity, 1930 (C.R., xliv, 30 April 1930, 64-5)
MURRAY AVENUE, tenement for Joseph Lafond, 1930 (Quebec City b.p. 4364, 2 July 1930)
GRANDE ALLEE, convent for the Franciscan Sisters, 1930 (C.R., xliv, 23 July 1930, 63; Quebec City b.p. 4445, 28 July 1930)
LAVAL UNIVERSITY, Ste. Famille Street, major addition, 1931 (C.R., xlv, 14 Jan. 1931, 53)
RIGAUD, QUE., convent for the Franciscan Sisters, 1931 (C.R., xlv, 11 March 1931, 120)
ST. FERDINAND d'HALIFAX, QUE., institution for the Sisters of Charity, 1933 (C.R., xlvii, 3 May 1933, 32, t.c.)
ST. VICTOR, QUE., addition to the College, 1934 (C.R., xlviii, 26 Sept. 1934, 29)
(with Wilfrid Lacroix) PARLIAMENT BUILDINGS ANNEX, also called 'Edifice E', St. Augustin Street at St. Amable Street, 1934-36 (R.A.I.C. Journal, xv, Sept. 1938, 20, illus. in advert.; xviii, April 1941, 59, illus.)
DOMINICAN SISTERS, St. Louis Road, a convent, 1935 (C.R., xlix, 14 Aug. 1935, 31)
(with Paul Rousseau) LAVAL UNIVERSITY, Ste. Foye Road, Mining School, 1938 (C.R., li, 23 Feb. 1938, 136)
BERGERVILLE, QUE., convent for the Sisters of Ste. Jeanne d'Arc, 1938 (C.R., li, 31 Aug. 1938, 31)
(with Lucien Mainguy) LAVAL UNIVERSITY, Ste. Foye Road, a cafeteria building, 1945 (C.R., lviii, Nov. 1945, 113)
DESBIENS, QUE., juvenat for the Marist Fathers, 1948 (C.R., lxi, May 1948, 175)

BERGERON & LEFEBVRE

SILLERY, QUE., the Sillery Hospital, 1950 (C.R., lxiii, May 1950, 142)
TROIS RIVIERES, QUE., chapel for the Carmelite monastery, 1950 (C.R., lxiii, 8 Aug. 1950, 240)